PDA

View Full Version : 525 Noob Question Help

sonof_perdition
01-23-2008, 09:29 AM
Hello, I currently ride a 2006 400ex primarily at the dunes. It's a great quad but I find myself looking for more. Recently I have been drawn to to Polaris Outlaw 525. I don't know mush about them and would rather not speak to a salesman at this point. So if there are any guys or gals out there who have good and bad things to say about the Polaris Outlaw 525 please have at it.

Some qustions to get started:

Is the 525 reliable?

Is it serviceable for the at home mechanic?

Would you recommend it for dune riding and or mountain trail riding?

What do you not like about it?

What do you love about it?

Thanks....

Rich

eerhard09
01-23-2008, 09:42 AM
Which model, the straight axle or the IRS model?

OutlawBill
01-23-2008, 10:41 AM
Yes to all
SRA if you like to race, IRS if you like to ride all weekend long.

Con's too many differant type of bolts. (T, SAE and Metric)

sonof_perdition
01-23-2008, 11:26 AM
Probably IRS. But Iam open to hearing it all.

eerhard09
01-23-2008, 11:55 AM
I agree with OutlawBill except that both would be and are good racers. The only negative I can think of is there just isn't a whole lot of aftermarket support for any of them yet, but that is changing. Another con is, there are a lot of parts out there that work for the motor from KTM. Lots of bling stuff from them and lots of motor mods but they are pricey! This motor is so impressive just in stock for with a JD Jet kit! Comparing it to your 400EX would be like comparing a 250EX to your 400EX. They are that much stronger and faster than the 400EX and Z/KFX400's.

I love my IRS and can ride it all weekend long and not feel the least bit beat up, not like I did on my Z400!

bossman525
01-23-2008, 03:53 PM
as far as dune riding, i like alot better than my old predator, and nothing can touch it on the trails in the mountains. and like eerhard said, power wise with just a jd jet kit and a k&n, you can keep up with or beat raptors and 450's. mine has been very reliable, had to take it in once for a bad rear a-arm joint. you can ride all day long to. i think you will be happy with a 525 in the dunes over your 400, much, much more power

eerhard09
01-24-2008, 05:49 AM
Oh, in the dunes, when they get all rutted up drom lots of traffic, the IRS soaks up most, if not all, of the rutts in the sand. It is VERY forgiving!

smokinwrench
01-24-2008, 10:10 PM
I had a 1999 400ex stage 2 cam wiseco piston intake. Switched to a 05 troy lee piped and intake, it was 10 times better then the 400ex stock.

Then I bought a 07 525 and in stock form it was 10 times better then the predator.

The IRS is awesome, I can ride all weekend and not be sore when everyone else in the group is done. So much faster in the trails then I ever was before. Suspension is perfect once you get the rear shocks loosened up a little so they don't load up on deep whoops. Power is unreal especially with the Alba pipe and kn filter. Mine has been 100% reliable.

Cons: Steering stem bushings are crappy and you will have to replace it as it will get sloppy. Seat grommets also mush out they are only about $2 each and it will take 2-4 of them each year. Changing oil it has 2 filters and 2 screens, KTM shop does sell a 4 oil filter kit and a fairly cheap price, most people use Rotella 5-40 synthetic and it is fairly cheap at wally world. Aftermarket parts were few and far between but with the Outlaws getting good reviews parts are coming out fast.

sonof_perdition
01-25-2008, 01:36 PM
Thanks to everyone who replied. You have given me some great advise and things to think on. I have priced out the IRS as well as the mono-suspention. THey are priced about the same but it seems as though the mono should be alot less money. THe IRS seems fairly involved and therefore worth more money.

eerhard09
01-25-2008, 09:36 PM
Manufacturing cost should not drive the price, demand and what the public perceives as valuable drives the price....

The IRS is very valuable to me!!!!:D