PDA

View Full Version : 450 engine noise

canam450
01-23-2008, 08:26 AM
i just got my ds 450 and when its idling the engine sounds horrible.. it rattle and it sounds like the valves need adjusted or something... i was just wondering if that was normal

Punk'd
01-23-2008, 01:35 PM
Rotax engines are known to be a little on the "Clanky" side. I wouldnt worry to much about it.

TWILES
01-23-2008, 02:43 PM
I don't see how it could be worse than a Yamaha 450 motor. Those things sound like they are coming apart when they run great.

54warrior
01-24-2008, 09:04 AM
Do these motors have 'straight' cut gears like the Cannondales did?

420yfz
01-24-2008, 11:07 AM
Originally posted by TWILES
I don't see how it could be worse than a Yamaha 450 motor. Those things sound like they are coming apart when they run great.

thats what scares me

canam450
01-24-2008, 08:24 PM
heres a pic of the quad... has anyone heard if blingstar products are good

BSTURDIVANT
01-24-2008, 09:11 PM
The Blingstar stuff is great. The nerfs are the easiest nerfs ive ever put on.

canam450
01-26-2008, 02:50 PM
i just picked up my bike from the dealer because i had alittle coolant leak coming out of the line from the engine and ive only been on it for 5minutes so far well the they said the couldnt fine anything wrong with it but i had a photo shoot to go to today so i had to take it with me and when i got the shoot there was coolant in the bed of the truck.. and now its coming out of the head gasket and i didnt even start it up.. do you think can am should get me a new one instead of going through all the trouble of taking it to the shop and waiting for it.. ive only had it for 5 days and i havent even been in the dirt with it just on my road..im pretty pissed i just spent 8 grand on the thing

BSTURDIVANT
01-26-2008, 09:25 PM
Some of the production units have a slight leak at the hose connection on the right side of the head. Only leaks when it's cooled down! Ours leaked there for a while and quit- actually needs a better hose clamp on the line. Never leaked enough to cause problems, but just looks like a head gasket leak when you first look at it!

#17YFZRACER
01-27-2008, 11:06 AM
this thing sounds like a really expensive POS. just so you know TWILES my 450's engine doesn't clank at all:D

BSTURDIVANT
01-27-2008, 04:30 PM
The DS's dont 'clank" they have a super strong forged piston
(very durable) with a short skirt design for light weight! The combination creates some piston noise- same as the 06 up 450r,CRF, and alot of other "high performance" engines!

hondarider101
01-30-2008, 06:19 PM
i pm'ed you ^^^^

cforce1
02-05-2008, 04:02 PM
I had the coolant leak also but it took mine about 5 hours to start. I took it to the dealership they fixed it in a day. But still i think if you pay $8400 they should give you something problem free. Can am gets 1 thumb down for there finished problem on reliability.

Punk'd
02-10-2008, 12:03 AM
Originally posted by BSTURDIVANT
Some of the production units have a slight leak at the hose connection on the right side of the head. Only leaks when it's cooled down! Ours leaked there for a while and quit- actually needs a better hose clamp on the line. Never leaked enough to cause problems, but just looks like a head gasket leak when you first look at it!

What have you done to correct this?

BSTURDIVANT
02-10-2008, 04:33 PM
Took the fitting out at the head and resealed with liquid tefflon pipe sealant and replaced the clamp with a fuel line hose clamp.

ds450
02-11-2008, 07:46 PM
I SAW THAT THE FITTING ON MINE WAS LEAKING YESTERDAY LIKE YOU SAID.... I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO RESEAL MINE.

ds450
02-11-2008, 08:03 PM
I SAW THAT THE FITTING ON MINE WAS LEAKING YESTERDAY LIKE YOU SAID.... I GUESS I WILL HAVE TO RESEAL MINE.

Spaceace
02-14-2008, 12:46 PM
Add me to the list of coolant leaks. I just took my brand new DS 450 x out for her maiden voyage a couple of days ago and haven't ridden since. This morning I walked out to the garage to say look at her and say hello as I often do, and I noticed a puddle of coolant in the skid plate. That is a sucky feeling on a brand new $8400 machine...

ds450
02-14-2008, 01:39 PM
Mine doesnt leak that bad. Mine is just damp about the fitting but it doesnt even run down the head. :)

B.Murphy73
02-28-2008, 05:27 AM
Stuff like that bothers the **** out of me.I have an 08 ltr and they have there little and sometimes big problems but you no i also have an 87 lt500 quadzilla no leaks no tranny problems no nothing just rips.That machine was around 3200$ new it makes you wonder 8400$ top of the line set up and all that crap and these machines are leaking the day you bring them home or the ltrs are haveing tranny problems,yfz,s got there problems for that kind of money for a quad there should not be any problems.They should have just kept the honda 250r its half the price problem free and best of all if something breaks its easy to fix.people keep saying the 4 strokes are more reliable.How are they more reliable there are so many more parts that can get jerked cams,valves,ect i really dont get it.I understand the designs of these machines have changed for the better but in a way they havent they just got more expensive.

54warrior
02-28-2008, 09:35 AM
Originally posted by B.Murphy73
Stuff like that bothers the **** out of me.I have an 08 ltr and they have there little and sometimes big problems but you no i also have an 87 lt500 quadzilla no leaks no tranny problems no nothing just rips.That machine was around 3200$ new it makes you wonder 8400$ top of the line set up and all that crap and these machines are leaking the day you bring them home or the ltrs are haveing tranny problems,yfz,s got there problems for that kind of money for a quad there should not be any problems.They should have just kept the honda 250r its half the price problem free and best of all if something breaks its easy to fix.people keep saying the 4 strokes are more reliable.How are they more reliable there are so many more parts that can get jerked cams,valves,ect i really dont get it.I understand the designs of these machines have changed for the better but in a way they havent they just got more expensive.

I agree with most of that!

ThePhantomRider
02-28-2008, 11:05 AM
I would say that the 450 4 strokes are marginally more durable than the 250 class 2 strokes, however the rebuild cost and complexity are higher and yes, there is more to work on with the 4 strokes.

I think when people make the statement that 4 strokes are more reliable, they are speaking of the thumper type, 400ex, Z-400, Raptor or XR 650 type motors, the traditional torquey motors that don't have to be revved sooo high and not as high strung.

TPR

ThePhantomRider
02-28-2008, 11:09 AM
As for little issues, the problem lies in that when a company designs a quad, it's done by hand, every tolerance is checked and rechecked and tested. Once they have the quad dialed in, they do the press release followed by final testing then the production run starts. By that time most people are clammoring to get the quad and while the machinery will do a good job replicating the handmade work, and it may look good off the line and during production testing, variances still occur and sometimes the public has to cope with hopefully only small annoyances.

With the DS (so far) the problems have been minimal and no one thing really has plagued the quad, and as far as I have heard, the biggest question marks, all the aluminum structures have been holding up very well.

TPR