PDA

View Full Version : Raptor 700 vs 700xx vs Outlaw 525 vs KTM 525

balistic9
01-22-2008, 09:33 PM
More so when the Honda 700xx w/irs is released," will the Honda 700xx have an advantage with irs."
There is no question which looks better, but in all honesty...

1. What is a better quad for tight trail riding, low gear using, and power through-out all ranges of the gears?

2. Is the Raptor: faster in speed, on bigger openings, longer trails... And all out balls to the wall perfonmace... With no site seeing? lol

Or will the 700xx have an advantage with lower-end crusing?

I' am seriously looking for a quad for intermediate-advance riding, but with a sharp style, and smooth feel!!!

3. Can the Yamaha Raptor 700 go slow? No pun intended! Seriously!!!

I am 5'9 225lb athlete looking for answers to find a good all around quad with the ability to hand all terrian, and all conditions...

Thanks guys, I don't mean to take up your time!
I've just spent the last three weeks going from Honda 450r. Can-Am Renegade 500-800! And now the Raptor, which feels great!
But
Frankly, all 450 are geared more for track/races! not all my concerns 15% maybe!
400ex was ok!
But with new 700xx coming! Is it worth waiting to March to find out that its too new of a design and resales will be impossible?

Lastly, is the Raptor too fast in tight corners, and too much kick for trail riding?

I do not mean to take anybodys attention away from their atv/internet conversations/interests, but I would seriously be grateful for feedback on which ATV is best suited for someone addicted to power on the fly, but hesitent to over due-it in size and be discuraged... Simply put!

P.S. Is KTM 525 geared for higher play... Or can you enjoy a nice ride through the woods, followed by intense hill climes, and fire trail blitzes!!!
P.S.S. Is Polaris outlaw 525 a good substitute for KTM? And all other atv?

Sincerely Brad Lee

willb
01-29-2008, 08:30 PM
* Remember you are comparing auto vs shifter.

* You can make anything do what you want and handle the way you want - it only depends on how big your pocket is.

* If you care about drag racing build a 2 stroker up. I can't remember drag racing period. I ride trails.

I have ridden a bunch of the quads in question.

Raptor can find them cheap. Lots of aftermarket support. The 700 is a big engine sport bike. I still feel cramped.
Just because it is a 700 doesn't make it the fastest thing out there but who cares. For fast trail riding and handling you will be dishing out money on a arms and a extended swing arm. Without those items I felt the bike to twichy especially on hills.

Honda: You are not interested in the motox thing- I feel the sport lineup by them is ok

Not a big fan of the rest of the line up for trail riding and I dont see many if any of the utes on the trails. We have a foreman on the farm that fil has ridden for 8 plus years and other than tires it has hung in very wheel. Noted it is used ofr feeding the cows, fixing fences, pulling the wood splitter and pulling out a deer.

The new honda 700. Will be an untested first year model. This will take awhile to build aftermarket support and attention.

If you want a automatic on a proven platform. I would add the kawi kfx700 to your list. Lots of support and aftermarket available. Constant performer on the gncc circuit. A clutch kit can be built for your type of riding to make it perform the way you want.

You mentioned Can-Am and dropped it so I assume you are not interested.

KTM/Outlaw: The KTM is a racer out the box. It costs more but look at what you get.

The outlaw. I am biased but the irs is proven to be a great handling performer. The 525 ktm engine has been tried and tested for a long time. Alot of the races the holeshot is taken by the 525's so they accelerate hard.

I think you are asking great questions> It is all in what you want. I love my scrammy. But I wanted something lighter with a plush ride and the I will tell you from limited ride time. (It is cold out there campers) that it is nice.

PM me if you want to talk offline if you are worried about being flamed.

Remember guys: I am just trying to help so dont bash just offer some insight.

Will

balistic9
01-30-2008, 11:42 AM
Yeah,
you have a lot of good points... Also, concerns w/ atvs and upgrades!

First, I don't know how the idea come-up w/ auto...
I would never go automatic... Frankly it takes the fun out of riding!

And I would think waiting for someone to compair it too would be the best way to truly find out what the honda is like...

I've noticed you have a Polaris 525 irs... Yes?
It's nice I assume? People have a one thought mind set when it comes to Palaris it seems! Everyone I have talked w/ says the preditor did bad so everyone assumes that automaticlly all Polaris atvs are questionable... Your right. KTM is now going to be in the same sentence as Polaris... The engines are deadly; so, one can only say that their is very little less to a bike/atv that needs to be good... Trans... Yes! But suspention can be upgraded very fast!

Getting back to the point, I was interested in keeping it simple! A 525 Outlaw, 400ex!
I really like the simplicity of the 400ex... And the popularity too!

Thanks though!
Sincerely B

yfzrider310
02-04-2008, 05:18 PM
Id go for the polaris even though I personally hate them. But for what you do that what id get.