PDA

View Full Version : DRR Vs Unison

ukguy
01-22-2008, 05:29 PM
looking on here as some one from accross the water the apex and drr seem the most popular bikes, why does no one semm to race a unison or it seems that it is the least discussed bike.

what is the main racing bike in the usa and what were your reasons for buying one, over a unison or drr etc

is there a bigger aftermarket for the apex and drr over the unison

thanks

Perazzimx14
01-22-2008, 05:45 PM
I do not have any experience with the Unison and limited experience with the DRR 50 but.... After looking at pictures of the Unison it has drum front brakes, single a-arms and generic tires.

The DRR comes with Razr front tires, dual a-arms and hydraulic vented disc brakes front and rear. There is also a ton of aftermarket parts for the DRR and the Apex. I also understand the DRR customer service is second to none. I know the dealer I bought my daughters DRR 50 from was friendly, knowledgable and nice to deal with.

Lance

quad1rider
01-23-2008, 07:48 AM
To go a might bit further you would say the motor is similar to the Kasea and Eton but the internal parts are of a higher quality than those of the unison also the clutching and aftermarket pipe of the DRR is designed to work acceptionally together making it the faster out of the box mini available. Also keep in mind the shocks used on drr's and the width of this machine for stability.

ecmini1
01-23-2008, 08:58 AM
Is this Jak?

The Drr has a ton more for the money and is out of the box faster and more stable. Much more bang for the buck.

quad1rider
01-23-2008, 12:37 PM
Unison does have dual a-arms but at a mire 32" width... they have no stability also they have disc brakes hetrick had a part in helping unison put together a mini quad and from what I hear they may not be done.... Hetrick's a good builder of mini's but not the best by far and unison will get with many more before they drop their version of a race ready machine look for it in 2008-2009

jaksdad
01-23-2008, 02:13 PM
hi Chad
no it ain't Jak, it's Rod. I can only assume that your engine that you get over there is 'far' superior to what is available over here, we get the fixed head model engine ! Unfortunately at the moment that is the only engine available, even though customers of mine fit 28mm carbs, an exhaust kit etc,etc it will still not be a ProShark (Apex), you would have to do a lot of work on the standard engine to get it up there, in standard form it is 42mm stroke and 54mm bore, yes it has got 96.18 c.c's it ain't got the guts.Until the importers get that engine changed we are not going to see many winners, unfortunately ! In standard form for £1299 it is a good value quad , but, to get anywhere you will have to spend a fair bit of money. But thngs are changing so we have to wait and see.
The 08 ProShark is coming out in about 3 weeks time with some more extra 'goodies' on board again so that will put 'the cat amongst the pigeons' on what people buy over here, a few 'interesting' suspension mods and bling will make the 08 model (mk2) a very good buy, so we will have to wait and see what Apache do to their Quad to improve things !
Unison (Dolphin) accessories, tuning parts are still available over here and by the time people pay the duty and v.a.t to get the things they want into this country they are no cheaper, I should know I used to buy mostly U.S.A now I support my own suppliers. Obviously some people didn't notice what won alot of the major Championships over here for the last 3 years, and all on British built engines.DOLPHINS (Unison) Nice AIR cooled engines.
catch you later
Rod
(heh Chad, it those words again, they just roll out !!)

ukguy
01-23-2008, 02:32 PM
the engine is ok in the apache, standard better than the CQR not to sure about the 08 shark not had my hands on one yet but the apache is very similar to the earlier proshark regards to standard stuff suspension etc, but slightly wider but maybe not as wide as the rmx.

we have tested the new engine we have put into the apache race machine and its very very quick but not standard, the engine trials are due very shortly to see how they hang up to proper race conditions rather than dyno, we have moved over to water cooled engines on the unisons/cqr while we develop the air cooled engine even further, we have found that they are better at the moment

jaksdad
01-23-2008, 02:58 PM
Right, so as I was saying the standard Apache F100 engine is a pile of pooh, so now you have done what the quad needs, improved the engine ! Now it is a different thing altogether!
The way we set up the Dolphins was on the dyno first, race after, and they were reliable, Jordan proved that with Quad Heaven, but maybe it is about time something else tried it at the front, a Malossi kit would be good, Hebo, Polini so,so but be interesting what results you get. Watch the Enduro scene, they don't like Malossi kits etc, voids their insurance?
Hope you dyno it first just to get your jetting spot on, saves in the end.
Rod

ww228king
01-23-2008, 06:51 PM
correct me if I am wrong...isn't the Apache F100 the DRX 100...same

jaksdad
01-24-2008, 01:32 AM
looking at the tech pages for the DRX 100 Water Cooled it does look the same but, it don,t go like people on here say it does. They have not got the same power as the Apex out of the box unfortunately. If you looked at the ports on the one we get here, the exhaust port would need a substantial amount of work, to match it to the exhaust. I also notice Dave Carter is doing an interchangeable head kit for these , to make them like the Apex, he isn't doing that for fun, there must be a reason. I would still recommend these quads for smaller kids but we still have to do a lot of work to match the power of the Apex out of the box, what ever is said or done it will always be personal preference to what we buy or most importantly to what our kids want and to what they are capable of riding.