PDA

View Full Version : My Lectron Carb rubs my gass tank!

Roosted909
01-22-2008, 04:00 PM
I got a 400ex with a lectron carb and the carb is so big it rubs the gas tank! I was wonderng if anybody has any solutions for this problem or knows of another tank you could put on that might be shorter. The previous owner ran the bike with the carb on a pretty bad angle and it hindered performance big time. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

imc188222
01-22-2008, 04:28 PM
I had a lectron on my 400ex for some time. I use a spacer to lift the back of the tank up about 1/2 inch. I was running a straight throttle cable which caused problems of its own. I read an old thread on here that said to use a cr500 cable as that had a 90 at the carb. I bought one but it didn't have a 90 other than that it fit. I was unable to find out what year cr500 cable has the 90 in it. The other thing I ran into was the stock thumb throttle did not open the slide all the way. I never got around to figuring out what thumb throttle had enough throw to do the trick. Does the lectron work good for you? Is it with a power valve or without?

Roosted909
01-24-2008, 05:22 PM
That carb made a huge power difference! It was night and day from the stock one! I bought the quad from my buddy who used to race by me and I helped him build it and everything a couple years ago. But he said he couldnt get the carb to fit right under the tank so i was wondering if I get the carb sitting straight up and down instead of on an angle if t will improve the performance even more.

GPracer2500
01-24-2008, 09:38 PM
Perhaps you can (carefully, slowly) heat the tank where clearance is a problem and form the tank so it fits. Make sure the tank is totally try and heat the plastic with a heat gun very slowly. Once it reaches a certain temp you should be able to "push" the plastic in where you need more space. I've been told if the plastic takes on a shiny surface when you're heating it you're applying too much heat too quickly.