PDA

View Full Version : DS90X impressions wanted

Z400Pilot
01-22-2008, 02:04 PM
This is for any owners of a DS90X. I would like any ride reports.

How does it pull hills?
Has anyone taken it in sand yet?
How is it for servicing? (oil changes, air filter cleaning, chain tensioning...etc?
What age and weight is your child?

I'm looking for a quad for my 6 year old son who is 50lbs and I am considering this quad. I haven't had chance to take him to the dealer to see how he fits on it yet.

Also, feel free to post some pictures up as well.

Thanks

musky
01-22-2008, 08:00 PM
We bought a 90x for our son for Xmas. In stock form its not to bad for a 4 stroke 90. He has pulled some monster hills fairly easy.No sand in our neck of the woods. As far as oil changes, air cleaner, chain, & transmission fluid go they are all really simple if you are a little mechanical. My son just turned 9 two days ago & weighs 62lbs. This is a great quad to start in a limited mod. class with all of the extras that come stock duel a arms, piggy back shocks, width. If your wanting a four stroke this may be a good choice instead od trx 90. I would post some pictures but not sure how to. Hope this helps.

Jaybird
01-22-2008, 08:31 PM
It will make a really nice quad for a begginer. I would cut the shifter down and if he gets really agressive it will need some shocks. They are way overdamped and not adjustable except for preload. Good brakes and really stable. Chain adjustment sucks. Seems well built and should be dead reliable.
Brian

Z400Pilot
01-23-2008, 12:04 AM
It sounds good so far. I want something that my son can start on and I can modify it as he gets better/older. I'm glad to see that several companies are working on parts for this quad already.

I wish they offered different colors than black!

Jaybird
01-23-2008, 06:39 AM
Yea I wish they would offer the yellow plastic. This one already is scratched bad from his boots while getting on and off the bike.
Oh and it should get through sand no problem. It uses really nice Kenda Klaw MXR's in 20-6-10 and 18-10.5-8. My nephew is 6 and weighs about 60 lbs.
Brian

musky
01-23-2008, 05:54 PM
One option would be buy regular ds90 plastic when your x plastic get to looking to bad, its yellow. Jaybird what didnt you like about the chain adjustment? It seemed pretty simple to me. I will say that a better quality chain would reduce the need for adjustment.

Z400Pilot
01-23-2008, 11:40 PM
Well, no one had a DS90X in town. I went and looked at the DS90 to get a look at the basic quad. I put a deposit down on an X model and they trucked one down by the end of the day so I will go look at it tomorrow. If I like it (which I'm pretty sure I will) it will come home with me tomorrow.

Jaybird
01-24-2008, 06:20 PM
Originally posted by musky
One option would be buy regular ds90 plastic when your x plastic get to looking to bad, its yellow. Jaybird what didnt you like about the chain adjustment? It seemed pretty simple to me. I will say that a better quality chain would reduce the need for adjustment.

It takes a 19mm, 17mm, and 10mm wrench and socket and a phillips head screwdriver. I guess I'm spoiled by the Honda style. It takes one allen wrench and about 1 minute. Once the chain gets streched it shouldn't need much adjustment anyway so it's no big deal, just my observation.

Z400Pilot
01-26-2008, 08:25 AM
Well, I picked up the DS90X on Thursday and it will get it's first outing today. I drove it in front of my house briefly on Thursday before I put it away.

It seems like it has to be revved quite a bit for the clutch to engage. I'm guessing it is just because of the small engine size. Is everyone else's the same?

My only complaint about it so far is that the left brake lever corner where the parking brake lock engages is chipped off. It looks like fairly soft aluminum. The dealer is ordering me another lever but I fear it will probably do the same in time. I'll give a ride report later after my son wrings it out a bit.

FISH ON!
01-26-2008, 09:56 AM
My son has had a few good rides on it now and here's what we think............ If you like trails and mud, this thing works great. We could not get it stuck (short of trying to swamp it) !!! The big tires and wide stance really do the job. It's very stable and can handle the ruts made by the big quads (the stance is as wide as my YFZ 450 and the tires are almost as big too.) This is my son's first quad and he's already launching the thing (PIC attached.) He's got a long way to go but the bike seems to handle the jumps OK. The front shocks worked real well but the back shock has a lot of rebound on small jumps and the chain tensioner clanks a bunch. There is no dampening adjustments, just preload and we had it set as soft as it would go (~70lbs rider.) The disc breaks work great. The parking break is junk. It works a time or two then the break lever chips away at the corner that holds the parking lever. Not a big deal. All the X-Team parts are good quality. Great nerf bars and roost protection. I can even jump up and down on the nerfs and they hold up great. We did do some heavy Georgia clay mudding and the clay piled up on the rear fender then after a little jumping the bracket which supports the fender from flexing broke. We've got to see if the dealer is going to replace it. That could be made out of a little sturdier metal. Now the motor.......... you've probably read the posts. It's a good starter engine, but it's a dog for an aggressive rider. Hopefully it will be really reliable. We are waiting for a pipe, clutch kit, air filter kit and maybe a new carb to spruce this thing up. It has plenty of power to pull just about any hill your younging is willing to try though and it will spin donuts on the loose stuff !!!

If you have any questions or want more PICs of one just shoot me an email. Overall I'm pleased with it but we are mostly trail riders that like to run the MX tracks for fun (air time.)

FISH ON!
01-26-2008, 10:16 AM
Let's see if it attaches this time....... PIC quality had to be significantly reduced.

Dale@AGP
01-26-2008, 10:39 AM
Does anyone know who's engine top end and crank that the motor is modeled after?

Honda, Yamaha, Kawasaki?

I was thinking about bolting a pit bike hop up top end and I'm trying to match something up.

Thanks

jjd223
01-26-2008, 04:27 PM
I believe it is an Aeon motor the same as the Polaris Outlaw 90

Z400Pilot
01-27-2008, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by FISH ON!
Now the motor.......... you've probably read the posts. It's a good starter engine, but it's a dog for an aggressive rider. Hopefully it will be really reliable. We are waiting for a pipe, clutch kit, air filter kit and maybe a new carb to spruce this thing up. It has plenty of power to pull just about any hill your younging is willing to try though and it will spin donuts on the loose stuff !!!

(air time.)

I had read a lot on the motor so I was expecting it to be a good starter quad motor....It moves out a lot better than I expected it too. It will do a donut with me on it!