PDA

View Full Version : Track grooming methods.

416exfreak
01-22-2008, 01:13 PM
For those of you who have a track at your house, how do you groom it?

I groom mine with a shovel and a rake. Needless to say, it takes forever. I need ideas on other ways to groom and fix my track when im done riding. I dont have a utility quad, so pulling something is out of the awnser. I also dont really have access to water on 100% of the track, so water is partially out of the question.

Also, if you have whoops, how did you make them? I have access to an anciet tractor with a boxblade (no bucket). Other than that, I have a shovel.

Post up your own tracks. Layouts, pictures, grooming methods, etc. I need ideas!:D

Thanks,
Justin

bwamos
01-22-2008, 01:29 PM
Get a baseball diamond groomer and drag it around.. or tie it to your grab bar and pull it.

hondarider101
01-22-2008, 01:39 PM
thats what we do, it hard to do on our track because its slick and flat with a a table top and a stepup, it fills in holse.

we have 12 dumptruck loads of dirt at the far end of our track, so all we do is get my dads quad and hook up a trailer and load it with shoves takes abot 10 mins to fll it full, and we sometimes use a wheel barowel and make little rollers and fill in holes if there big with the wheel barowel. I wish we had a tracter with a bucket or a bobcat. lol.it works good!

mineralgrey01gt
01-22-2008, 02:03 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
Get a baseball diamond groomer and drag it around.. or tie it to your grab bar and pull it.

when i read the OP thats the first thing that came to mind. If you dont want to pay for one just get you some old storm fence, put some concrete blocks on it and tie it onto your grab ar

NJ450rider
01-22-2008, 05:15 PM
yuppers or the super low budget way which is a piece of chain link fence with a few blocks on it.

TWISTED DINLI
01-22-2008, 05:46 PM
this is what i use. i just pull it behind my dad's John Deere Lawn mower. it gets the job done.
then when i build jumps i use the heavy duty slow plow that goes onto the front of the JD and use that to push jumps up. I have a dirt wagon that i pull with the JD also

TWISTED DINLI
01-22-2008, 05:48 PM
Originally posted by NJ450rider
yuppers or the super low budget way which is a piece of chain link fence with a few blocks on it.

thats what i used to use before we bought that disk.

hondaking52
01-22-2008, 09:45 PM
ya just get some kind of herrels or sumtin to drag behind a garden tractor or even a truck if u got one... i got a tracked deere skidsteer and two big excavators, so thts wat i use...

bwamos
01-23-2008, 07:05 AM
Originally posted by NJ450rider

Yup, a piece of expanded metal with blocks works great also.

musser_who?
01-23-2008, 01:44 PM
Let nature take care of it and learn to ride on a rough track

Or at leasts thats what I do to learn how to control the bike in different situations unless its to bad then I rent a Bobcat from a rental company to fix it

Just my way

416exfreak
01-23-2008, 02:16 PM
Originally posted by musser_who?
Let nature take care of it and learn to ride on a rough track

Or at leasts thats what I do to learn how to control the bike in different situations unless its to bad then I rent a Bobcat from a rental company to fix it

Just my way

The problem with that, is that my track is basically 1 quad wide. So you are in the same ruts everytime.

Its taught me to ride a tight line, but after 3 or 4 days, the ruts get so deep that I bottom out on them.

I ride 7 days a week. Fixing this track with a shovel and a rake is getting really old, really fast.:ermm:

nickmelll
01-23-2008, 08:51 PM
scince u can get the old tractor with the box couldnt u use that

MX MaNiAc 06
01-23-2008, 08:55 PM
Just put the back blade down on the tractor n smooth it out. Ive tried to make whoops with our farm tractor and its next to impossible. Its easier with a bobcat type machine

416exfreak
01-24-2008, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by nickmelll
scince u can get the old tractor with the box couldnt u use that

I do use it on the sections that I can get to with it.

Part of my track runs between 2 very tight trees, and the ractor wont fit between them.:(

bah1491
01-24-2008, 04:57 PM
heres what i have done:
we have an old ford 5600 tractor, we have a boxblade with teeth, an angle blade, and i have rented a 6' wide tiller. The tiller worked awesome, but it took a while...ive taken the box blade and changed the pitch to where its just the teeth digging, and ripping up the soil....heres a video of my track at home....not much, but it took plenty of time to build with a bobcat t-250 skid steer.

also, the tiller was only $60 to rent for the weekend! talk about a beautiful finish...

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=beau+hartman+riding&search=Search

TWISTED DINLI
01-24-2008, 09:16 PM
thats an awesome track!! i would do anything to have that kind of land to build a track on very nice!!! looks like a lot of fun!

bah1491
01-26-2008, 09:51 AM
its pretty fun....i'll post a thread in spring time, im going to host a day for anyone who wants to come and ride for free

Moto49X
01-26-2008, 02:33 PM
Never groomed mine. The more rough it is the more it beats you into shape. Actually, take shovels and dig holes and junk to make it more rough. Whips you into shape for nationals. Riding a track as smooth as a highway will do nothing for you.

416exfreak
01-26-2008, 02:44 PM
Originally posted by Moto49X
Never groomed mine. The more rough it is the more it beats you into shape. Actually, take shovels and dig holes and junk to make it more rough. Whips you into shape for nationals. Riding a track as smooth as a highway will do nothing for you.

Im more worried about my jump faces and such.

I live in sand, so it doesnt take long for my track to turn into arse.

woodsracer144
01-26-2008, 09:21 PM
i say you find a rental place and rent a skidder for the day or find some one around you that you could use a skidder.... i built my buddys track in one day. and i could of done alot more.

bah1491
01-26-2008, 10:09 PM
i believe you meant a skid steer, not a skidder....
SKIDDER:

bah1491
01-26-2008, 10:11 PM
heres what i used to build my track....except the one i used had an air conditioned cab, and all the bells and whistle.....brand spankin new too! only had 83 hours on it...

Bobcat T-250 SKID STEER:

Moto49X
01-27-2008, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by 416exfreak
Im more worried about my jump faces and such.

I live in sand, so it doesnt take long for my track to turn into arse.

In that case i would say a skid steer also. Around here you can rent them for about $120 a day.

woodsracer144
01-27-2008, 09:29 AM
yeah i ment skid steer, but i just call them skidders.

or if you wanna go huge find a guy with a endloader, where are you think that you can lease one too for a little bit of nothing if you have some money, i dont know what your max you can spend is.

bah1491
01-27-2008, 09:32 AM
yea....thats pretty difficultto learn to operate though....and you would be building a hardcore track if your getting a front end loader....my thought on a practice track at home is "build endurance, dont kill yourself"

woodsracer144
01-27-2008, 09:40 AM
mine is hard core so when you go to the race track its like ***** to you...

the step up ramp was like this on on a vid that travis pastrana has i'll find the vid and post the link