PDA

View Full Version : Shocks are frozen what now!!

Honda#4
01-22-2008, 10:04 AM
So go to get my sled otta our crappy shed and I started up the quad and lifted the front end up and my shocks are frozen up pretty bad and I was just wondering will this hurt the shocks at all? will they be ok untill we get warmer temps or should I go and put it in a warm shed other than ours?

I didnt think nitrogen could freeze but anything would in -25 weather.

400exrider707
01-22-2008, 10:41 AM
The nitrogen isn't frozen :rolleyes:

Nitrogen is a gas in this temp zone... it freezes at -346 degrees or so, and turns to a gas (boils) at -320 degrees fahrenheit. Perhaps you have water on them and they froze up? Try bouncing the front end off the ground a few times and if it doesn't free up under the weight of the quad, then you have something wrong. Maybe a friend playing a prank on you?

Honda#4
01-22-2008, 11:18 AM
No nobody was playing a prank on me, i've been riding it in the snow for a few weeks and I guess the snow made it freeze up.

I did bounce the front end a few times but there wasnt much movement but everything appears to be ok. Guess i'll have to wait and see if it unthaws.

Chino886
01-22-2008, 11:23 AM
you could have blown your shock seals

Honda#4
01-22-2008, 12:03 PM
I barly even rode on the things I hope that aint the case Dave, Just bought the things.

I think if I put a torpedo heater in front of it for a bit that might make it unthaw hopefully.

Would'nt there by a lost of compression in the shock if that happened?

Honda#4
01-22-2008, 12:12 PM
They were frozen a bit but the sun has thawed them out so there ok now, boy that scared me for a bit but everything is normal now.

Thanks guys.