PDA

View Full Version : long or standard?

honda4life72
01-22-2008, 09:10 AM
ok right now i got std travel shocks with +2 a arms . i was thinking about just selling my arms and saving for long travel fox shoxs and maybe jb arms . i want to start mx racing . right now all i do is tt race. what should i do? or what do u think? right now my shocks bottom out like crazy on small stuff. i heard its a night and day difference with std to long travel. i was gunna go with fox shoxs cuz i could set them up for what ever i ride by changing the air preasure. liek if i wanted to go back to tt racing i could just let air out right?

bloodmoney23
01-22-2008, 10:19 AM
well just keep what you have now. Buy the longtravel and race MX and race TT with the std travels you already have. it only take 5 min to switch out a arms and shocks.

04TRX400EX
01-22-2008, 10:29 AM
If you are bottoming out on small stuff your shocks are not setup correctly. There is a misconception that a longer shock immediately equals more travel but if setup properly, the performance can be similar.

That being said, I too have been wondering just how big of a difference there is between standard and long travel front ends. If done correctly, is long travel really worth the added expense? I guess I just don't see how much difference there could be if you were comparing two similar choices, for example Houser +2 ST versus Houser +2 LT a-arms with TCS shocks ST/LT on either?

400exrider707
01-22-2008, 10:46 AM
LT will make it easier to fine tune the shock, and you may get a little less heat fade out of a LT shock, but other than that, most people are just wasting money... 90% of the people with LT dont know how to tune a shock anyways...

about half way down on page 2 you should find some helpful information
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=300433&perpage=13&pagenumber=2

honda4life72
01-22-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by bloodmoney23
well just keep what you have now. Buy the longtravel and race MX and race TT with the std travels you already have. it only take 5 min to switch out a arms and shocks. how well does your stnd travel set up work? i may just keep the arms and buy new shocks .

honda4life72
01-22-2008, 10:58 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
LT will make it easier to fine tune the shock, and you may get a little less heat fade out of a LT shock, but other than that, most people are just wasting money... 90% of the people with LT dont know how to tune a shock anyways...

about half way down on page 2 you should find some helpful information
http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=300433&perpage=13&pagenumber=2 wow ,thanks that explains it

bloodmoney23
01-22-2008, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by honda4life72
how well does your stnd travel set up work? i may just keep the arms and buy new shocks .

it works awesome. I actually got some seat time on it yesterday and didnt bottom out once. I was only hitting a 30ft table top and a 25ft double but with my stock setup i was bottoming out, getting bucked and hating life. just keep the std travel and get the shocks setup for you. send them in and have them revalved better for your weight. gaurenteed whoever did the shocks for you didnt set them to your weight if you bottom out all the time.

honda4life72
01-22-2008, 11:55 AM
there stock shocks lol , how much were your elkas if u dont mind me asking?

MAD450r
01-22-2008, 02:50 PM
I have ridden mine for 2 years on 2 different a-arm setups. I am now ready to have them setup for a more aggressive riding style.

JessetheKid
01-22-2008, 06:10 PM
Originally posted by honda4life72
there stock shocks lol

That is why you are bottoming out so easily. For some people it is not worth having LT because they are not capable of out riding a standard travel set up. If you just race mx once in a while I would get a set of shocks set up for your weigh and arms, and you will notice a huge difference.