PDA

View Full Version : water in intake

steve123
01-21-2008, 10:10 PM
Is there anything you can do to help deal with water ingestion on the trail this time of year? I heard you can add a little oil in your gas to help with the high tempature of water burn. Seems like that would foul the pulg .Any answers would be appreciated. My intake is a pan for the bottom and seat is the top, S&B filter, and Outerwears prefilter. Thanks guys.

cataway
02-04-2008, 03:12 PM
high tempature of water burn???? what on earth is that?

yfzrider310
02-04-2008, 03:44 PM
Is it water cooled? I dont understand whats going on.

steve123
02-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Water burns hotter then gas, where I ride and with my intake setup, I get water in the intake from time to time. It backfires runs rough and generaly bad performance. Was looking for some kind of additive to the fuel to help protect the internal componets of the engine. It's either that or idle through the to many to count mudpuddles. Water rules the trail most of the year in western Washington.

06-08 outlaws 500-450
07-lt-z250,110 zhe jiang

yfzrider310
02-04-2008, 05:37 PM
Well I hope your not getting water in your intake or thats really bad for it. If you want to try the oil thing go ahead but Ive never heard of anyone doing that.

cataway
02-04-2008, 05:55 PM
Originally posted by steve123
Water burns hotter then gas, where I ride and with my intake setup, I get water in the intake from time to time. It backfires runs rough and generaly bad performance. Was looking for some kind of additive to the fuel to help protect the internal componets of the engine. It's either that or idle through the to many to count mudpuddles. Water rules the trail most of the year in western Washington.

06-08 outlaws 500-450
07-lt-z250,110 zhe jiang
Water burns hotter then gas................thats a good one LOL
the thing runs bad be cause water does not burn

cataway
02-04-2008, 06:05 PM
In a piston engine, the initial injection of water cools the fuel-air mixture somewhat, which increases its density and hence the amount of mixture that enters the cylinder. But the greater effect comes later during combustion when the water takes in significant amounts of heat energy as it converts from liquid to gas (steam). This increases piston pressure (torque), reduces peak temperature and resultant NOx formation, and reduces the amount of heat energy absorbed into the cylinder walls. The duration of combustion is said to be longer, preventing detonation. In aircraft engines the cooling effect allows the mixture to be run leaner at its best-power setting.

When used in a turbine engine, the effects are similar, except that preventing detonation is not the primary goal. Water is normally injected either at the compressor inlet or in the diffuser just before the combustion chambers. Adding water increases the mass being accelerated out of the engine, increasing thrust, but it also serves to cool the turbines. Since temperature is normally the limiting factor in turbine engine performance at low altitudes, the cooling effect allows the engines to be run at a higher RPM with more fuel injected and more thrust created without overheating. [2] The drawback of the system is that injecting water quenches the flame in the combustion chambers somewhat, as there is no way to cool the engine parts without cooling the flame accidentally. This leads to unburned fuel out the exhaust and a characteristic trail of black smoke.

Fuel economy can be improved with water injection, although the effect on most engines with no other modification, like leaning out the mixture, appears to be rather limited or even negligible in some cases.

Some degree of control over the water injection is important. It needs to be injected only when the engine is heavily loaded and the throttle is wide open. Otherwise injecting water may simply drown the engine and cause it to quit.

yfzrider310
02-04-2008, 07:13 PM
nice write up....you must know your way around your motors.

steve123
02-04-2008, 07:38 PM
Thanks, that was a big help Professor cataway.