PDA

View Full Version : 400ex ball joints VW replacement

forgiven
01-21-2008, 07:04 PM
If I have to replace my current balljoints I was told some VW tie rod ends will work. Which ones...which years.

Thanks

AtvMxRider
01-21-2008, 07:57 PM
What kind of a-arms? If there are stock you can't replace the balljoint you will need a new arm

forgiven
01-21-2008, 09:00 PM
Actually if you cut them off square you can rethread a VW tierod which will make your 400ex arm camber adjustable. Was really looking for someone who has done it though.

86 Quad R
01-22-2008, 03:26 PM
i've done the mod that your asking about but only using 86 250r parts. this was a bit easier than using the 400ex.

what your wanting to do can be done but should be farmed out to a knowledgable machinist/welder and is dependant on what the ID of the tubes of where the aftermarket joints will be going.

it will most likely require that some (threaded)inserts be placed where the originals were cut off and then welded at both ends.

the automotive ball joints that most use are i believe 16mm right handed thread.

imc188222
01-22-2008, 04:21 PM
I have been wondering this as well. There is no need for me to farm this out, I have the skill and equipment to do this. However there are very good reasons that I would be asking for help on here. The tie rod end would have to have the correct taper and length, the threaded part would have to be the correct thickness. (I assume the ball joint/knuckle connection is a taper, I haven't taken it apart yet) Anything can be made to work but with the right information this mod can be done without cutting a new taper in the knuckle and without hacking the a-arm up to much. The reason to post on here is that maybe someone here has done the footwork and knows what part to use. This would save alot of time looking in books and going through the local parts store measuring parts. Free bump and thanks for asking what I was getting around to asking myself. Thanks to anyone who has information pertaining to this and for all the footwork saved.

coryatver
01-22-2008, 04:52 PM
You can get the whole lower a-arm assembly for less than 50 bucks. Just get one for a 99-04 400ex

forgiven
01-22-2008, 08:24 PM
I got some Ricky Stator 16mm Honda replaceables. Wish me luck.

imc188222
01-22-2008, 08:54 PM
Do you cut off the stock ones and thread the a-arm for these ones? I tried to find out on their web site but couldn't come up with much. They look pretty cool and are pretty nicely priced. thanks

86 Quad R
01-23-2008, 06:52 AM
Originally posted by forgiven
I got some Ricky Stator 16mm Honda replaceables. Wish me luck.

good choice and they are priced at about what you'd pay for the moog brand at the local auto parts store.

Originally posted by imc188222
Do you cut off the stock ones and thread the a-arm for these ones? I tried to find out on their web site but couldn't come up with much. They look pretty cool and are pretty nicely priced. thanks

you'll need to cut off the OEM ball joint so that it is totally square. whether or not you'll need to tap threads in the socket for the "new" ball joint depends on what the tolerances are between the socket and the ball joint. if the tolerances are loose enough to allow the new ball joint to slide through then you may or may not need to make a bushing/sleeve to take up the slack.

when i made this mod to my 250R A-arms. i had to make a "collared" bushing and use a 16mm jamb nut on either side.

here's an idea of what i mean. hope this helps you fellers. :cool:

forgiven
01-23-2008, 07:32 AM
That is pretty much what I was looking to do. I need to adjust my camber because I did the 400ex arms on a 300 with shock relocator but need to adjust the camber. Hopefully I will be able to thread mine so I can use some adjustment.

Thanks for all the suggestions and ideas guys!