PDA

View Full Version : its been a bad day

boosted3g
01-21-2008, 05:55 PM
I had off work today and thought that even though it was a monday. The day started off good, made a big breakfast and watched cartoons with my boys for a little while. I put the boys down for a nap and then it took a turn for the worst. My wife left to get some groceries and the previous night i was working on setting up my carb and had the plastic off. To make a long story short a 4runner versus 400ex plastic the toyota wins no problem. She backed over the front end, noticed she hit something so she pulled back into the garage and over it again. I was pissed but i should have expected that since she has already backed over my recycle bin and a lawn mower in the past. Anyways off to the dealer to order new plastic, luckily my buddy works there and i get away for 121 bucks for 2 new front fenders and 25 more for 2 new stickers. The only positive thing was i got silver stickers from an 06 instead of the red on the 07s. I put on my mangled plastic but its not over yet. I was taking the kids for rides around the house after dinner and when i pulled into the garage and let it idle for a little bit and noticed a funny smell. I checked it out immediatly since i just switched to e85 and havent had much time on the quad and thought i may have a problem with my tuning and it toasted a piston or something. Nope its just the remenants of my sons fuzzy frog slipper that is cooking on my head pipe. So now i have a bit of goo smuldering on there, hopfully it will burn off and stop smoking. I think i am just going to call it a night and maybe tomorrow will be better.

lawdog800
01-21-2008, 07:56 PM
AHHHHH So your wife drives like mine........By BRAILE!!!!!!!!

That sucks

maxfior
01-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Sucks about the plastic... I guess I'm lucky so far, my wife has not taken any thing out... I do have to keep an eye on her when she is using the tractor... a front end loader can do quite a bit of damage... You'll have to post some pics of the before and after ;)

Max

maxfior
01-22-2008, 08:45 AM
Sorry for the double post... Looks like I hit the post button too fast! ;)

Max

gcart2
01-22-2008, 01:11 PM
lol you think your wifes are bad. my mom backed into 1 of our red t600 kenworth's that was parked!! its huge... how not see it???

79400ex
01-23-2008, 09:53 AM
Be carefull with running E85 in your quad. It may damage your carb. E85 reguire very thing to be stainless steel in the fuel system.

byrdman
01-24-2008, 08:16 AM
i would definately not be running e85 in your bike. it is going to cause nothing but problems for you.

boosted3g
01-24-2008, 04:32 PM
Thats what the misconception is. Ive run methanol for years and never had a problem and thats where you see the problems not with e85.

byrdman
01-24-2008, 08:05 PM
im not going by the luck you have had with it but with the studies i have read in training classes about fuel quality. one thing that WILL hapen is the ethanol in the fuel is going to seperate from the petroleum based fuel. the ethanol that seperates will go to the bottom of the tank and guess what, your petcock just happens to be there. when your bike is started you are sucking that down. another thing that will happen is the ethanol will start to corrode the metals in your carb. ethanol is an oxygenator and will cause a lean condition if your carb isnt tuned for the percentage of it in your fuel. any fuel with more than ten percent ethanol is not recomended for use in power equipment. being that i run an air-cooled honda engine i wont be running anything questionable in my bike. maybee i would have the same luck as others but im not willing to take that chance. this is just the information i wanted to pass on and hopefully help someone avoid any problems.

ThreeDollaBills
01-25-2008, 08:09 PM
ok so I have an 04 400ex, but Monday I'm going to be putting a 440 kit and a +4mm crankshaft in it. I hear you're supposed to run like 110octane in them. Should I have any problems with ethanol in 110?

JOEX
01-25-2008, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by ThreeDollaBills
ok so I have an 04 400ex, but Monday I'm going to be putting a 440 kit and a +4mm crankshaft in it. I hear you're supposed to run like 110octane in them. Should I have any problems with ethanol in 110?
New thread maybe:confused:

250x_kyle
01-25-2008, 09:34 PM
atleast ur boy didnt get burnt. thats the major thing here.;)