PDA

View Full Version : piston upgrade?

mymastifftucker
01-21-2008, 03:09 PM
I am planning a rebuild for this fall on my 07 450er. As far as the piston goes, is there a big power difference between the stock piston and a Wiseco replacement if the compression ratio is the same? What is the stock compression ratio and size in mm? I am planning to upgrade to a Stage 2 hotcams at the same time. thanks for any info!!

IMSROLL450R
01-21-2008, 03:35 PM
I doubt theres much of a gain to be noticed no matter who makes it if its the same compression. You will although like the HC 2. I put the Venom 14:1 in mine and it runs really good, fuel is just expensive. I would think if you dont step up the compression, a piston swap probably wont do too much. Hope that helps with your decision.

mymastifftucker
01-22-2008, 04:02 AM
if I go too high on the compression I need "race fuel" though right? Can you go much higher than stock without needing the high octane fuel?

400exrider707
01-22-2008, 07:40 AM
You should be ok with pump gas on a 12:1 piston. Stock 06's come with 12:1 so....

IMSROLL450R
01-22-2008, 07:57 AM
Originally posted by mymastifftucker
if I go too high on the compression I need "race fuel" though right? Can you go much higher than stock without needing the high octane fuel?

You cant go any higher without higher octane fuel since you are already at 12:1. I have to run 110 with my 14:1 and depending on what fuel prices are where you are, it may not be worth the cost of fuel.

chad502ex
02-20-2008, 12:21 PM
Originally posted by IMSROLL450R
You cant go any higher without higher octane fuel since you are already at 12:1.

Get a clue!.....

Obvisously your real good at regurgitating the rubbish your Uncle Fester looking builder tells you....

....you have no idea how to determine octane yourself, but your telling others... LOL!

I just read your chicken **** posts on org----

you are a joke!.....

IMSROLL450R
02-20-2008, 02:06 PM
Originally posted by chad502ex
Get a clue!.....

Obvisously your real good at regurgitating the rubbish your Uncle Fester looking builder tells you....

....you have no idea how to determine octane yourself, but your telling others... LOL!

I just read your chicken **** posts on org----

you are a joke!.....

wow

IMSROLL450R
02-20-2008, 02:13 PM
All I am saying tucker is the book says to run no lower than 91 with the stock 12:1 piston, and common sense says raising the compression ratio means you will have to run higher octane. I know people that run a 12.5:1 with 91 with no problem but any higher and they have to start uping the octane of their fuel. Since Im not an experience engine builder you can take my info or leave it, but I refuse to argue with people like chad and clog you're thread.

chad502ex
02-20-2008, 04:13 PM
Originally posted by IMSROLL450R
wow

WOW nothing... :mad:

Dont act surprised here Jerid Sutton....

you're starting crap remotely like a chicken ****,... so I'm bringing it to ya like any man would do...

I've had you pegged all along,... I should have never given you the benefit of the doubt....anybody running venom, like you do, must be real putz.. you've proven you are with your cowardness posting afar about how superior that forum is and how ATVRIDERS isn't.... well from what weve seen we know your not offering much great at either place...

Until you can properly answer any technical question, you should not be putting down the technical base here on ATVRIDERS.... I looked up your post history here and you dont provide ANY technical, just a regurgitation of the spew you chew on....

IMSROLL450R
02-20-2008, 04:48 PM
pmed ya chad

02-20-2008, 05:02 PM
there will be a small gain using Wiseco vs stock even on the same compression because the Wiseco are lighter than stock and make for quicker revs.

GIXXER1KR
02-20-2008, 11:49 PM
I highly doubt your 07 needs a piston but if your gonna do one might as well go with a nice aftermarket piston..A CP,JE then a Wiseco.Or spend the extra and get a custon race piston from a reputable builder and see what they recommend with a build and options.If your taking it apart and gonna do a cam spent the 450 for a port job too.Call around and give Chad(DRG) a ring and at least see what he has to offer...Later...And yes you can go above 12.1 octane without race fuel and you can absolutely run below 91 on a stock motor.I did over 500 miles on 87 with a full hrc kit...Had no choice i went trailing in Maine with a bunch a 4/4"s and hung with the best of them!!! Later Bill

IMSROLL450R
02-21-2008, 12:22 AM
Originally posted by GIXXER1KR
I highly doubt your 07 needs a piston but if your gonna do one might as well go with a nice aftermarket piston..A CP,JE then a Wiseco.Or spend the extra and get a custon race piston from a reputable builder and see what they recommend with a build and options.If your taking it apart and gonna do a cam spent the 450 for a port job too.Call around and give Chad(DRG) a ring and at least see what he has to offer...Later...And yes you can go above 12.1 octane without race fuel and you can absolutely run below 91 on a stock motor.I did over 500 miles on 87 with a full hrc kit...Had no choice i went trailing in Maine with a bunch a 4/4"s and hung with the best of them!!! Later Bill

I was only stating that the honda manual says to at least run 91. I too have ran 87 in a pinch , and being from a small town sometimes thats all I could get.

Yes you can go above 12:1 compression without "race fuel," but why not be safe after 12.5:1 and bump it up a few octane. These motors aren't cheap. Only opinion mind you.......

blacknblue#2
02-21-2008, 12:22 AM
Back in the 05 and 06 season i had a pretty highly built 05 Running a 13.5:1 JE. when it come race day i ran sunoco 114 but if i was gonna be out trail riding or just going to a track to play around a bit i ran good'ol speedway 93 octane. Yeah book says your not suppose to but i wasnt gonna blow 8 bucks a gallon out the exhaust pipe in the woods it ran fine on 93 not as good as the 114 but thats common sense. I sold that bike in late 06 to build my 07 and last i heard it was still runnin on the same piston on nothing at all but 93 pump gas (it was bought by a play around weekend warrior)

quadfamily
02-21-2008, 05:42 AM
CHAD! You seriously need to back down and stop insulting people. Imsroll did nothing wrong here. If you disagree that's fine but you have no business talking to people the way you do. You're not some engine god here!

chad502ex
02-21-2008, 07:39 AM
Originally posted by quadfamily
[/B]

I apologize to you and the other peeps for my aggressiveness towards IMSROLL450...

There is some bad-mouthing IMSROLL450r is saying on other forums, and I choose to bring it up in this thread... we took it further in PM....