PDA

View Full Version : Twisted Frame

Bounce400ex
01-21-2008, 02:24 PM
I got a used 400ex and stripped it down to get the motormount under the crank case welded. When the tank came off I found out the mount on the valve cover was broken too. The frame wobbles back and forth like it's twisted a little. Should I have this one welded and try it out or just bite the bullet and get a new frame?

Thanks in advance for any input!

maxfior
01-21-2008, 02:36 PM
I guess it depends on how quickly you want to get things rolling... If I was in your situation I would check out local deals on frames or maybe even ebay. You should be able to find a frame with a title. Depending on how the condition is, you might be able to have a good welder check it out and fix the issue and gusset the frame at the same time. The problem with a frame that is tweaked is that once you think you have one spot fixed another could rear its ugly head. Or, there might be a tube that was weakened from the crash (or however the framed got tweaked in the first place). I'm sure others will chime in and give their $0.02.
Good luck!

Max

Rip_Tear
01-21-2008, 02:57 PM
Where are you putting this frame that you can tell it has wobble... a concrete floor, wood floor etc won't be 100% so if it's just a little wobble I wouldn't worry about. Unless you are really concerend, and things aren't lining up then I'd look for the new frame. It everything lines up and you can't tell the frame is tweaked I'd just weld it up, gusset it and go with it. How many frames do you think are 100% to begin with right? It'd be nice to think that their all exactly the same, but their not. And any little thing could throw a small part of the frame out without really causing any problem.

Bounce400ex
01-21-2008, 03:38 PM
It wobbles the same on a few different surfaces. I wanted to powdercoat everything while it was torn apart, I'm just not sure it's worth coating this frame. It's not a lot of play, but whatever twisted it probably broke the two mounts.

440challenger
01-22-2008, 06:00 AM
a lot of time you can tell if i a frame is bent by feeling the underside of the big flat brace that is behind the steering stem ,makign sure its flat.

jeremy_283
01-22-2008, 06:06 AM
my upper motor mount is cracked too.... actually you know how its double layered? one of the layers is completely missing...

Bounce400ex
01-22-2008, 09:20 AM
The flat brace under the frame behind the steering is all beat to hell. And yeah, those doubled up mounts that hold the bolt that goes through the valve cover are starting to crack. The welder can defineatly fix all that, he could probably straighten it out too. I just don't know if he's gonna want to mess with it.