PDA

View Full Version : rear suspension

400sEXridr
01-21-2008, 11:01 AM
ok guys im debating on whether to use C&D for respringing all 3 shocks or using them for the front and GT Thunder to do the rear. GT does not use a dualrate setup just revalving and a new spring for my weight but they also include a new "longer travel" linkage. does anyone have any experience with either of these? will the GT linkage work with C&D shock? Is dual rate really necessary on the back and is it noticable like on the front? Thanks guys

drew416ex
01-21-2008, 02:48 PM
I have the dual rate elka conversion on mine and I love it. It made the rear squat a few inches and it doesnt buck around as bad. Elka also makes a long travel linkage and it works with their dual rate shock so maybe the GT thunder linkage will work with the C&D shock. Im not sure though.

dustin_j
01-21-2008, 03:13 PM
I think Colby claims to get the same results as GT Thunder w/o using the GT linkage. Ask him for sure though;)

400sEXridr
01-21-2008, 04:03 PM
Colby has said that the two will not work together but i just have to decide which one i want to use

08400EX
01-21-2008, 04:14 PM
I have always found it to be best to let one person/company do the whole suspension. That way they know exactly what to do to make the front work with the rear and vice versa.

Also you have one person to work with until you get it right for you. Using 2 companies usually ends up with one saying the other guys setup on the front is causing the rear not to work well etc. etc.

Wheelie
01-21-2008, 04:45 PM
I just went through the same debate. I shipped my rear shock off to C&D this afternoon, and ordered new Elka fronts as well.

I'll start off by saying I've heard nothing but good things about GTT's setup.

My reasoning, FWIW: GT Thunders rear link hangs low and requires cutting of the skidplate for clearance. Also, it requires the airbox and exhaust to be moved and modifications to the subframe. By the looks of it, the modifications required to the subframe will require the battery to be moved inside the airbox. This setup isn't for the faint of heart.

mitchamus
01-22-2008, 05:30 AM
I have a rear GT rebuild with the XC link. I had to raise the airbox up and had to move my exhaust out so it would'nt smash my brake caliper. I did not have to cut my skidplate. I have been debating on getting rid of the Gt link and going back to the stock link. If i had to do it all over again i would of went to TCS. Anyways the GT setup handles awesome. Im sure it will be awesome whatever you choose.

400sEXridr
01-22-2008, 07:38 AM
yeah im thinking im gonna go with C&D all around. mitchamus i see your in brunswick i live in valley view if you know where that is lol. not very far. do you have anywhere locally you like to ride cause the popo presence around me is limiting where we can ride

mitchamus
01-22-2008, 08:03 AM
Not to far from you. I really dont ride in any illegal spots. sent ya a pm.