PDA

View Full Version : Rear Brake Pad Replacement

dbsbl1
11-14-2002, 05:36 PM
I'm trying to replace the rear brake pads on my 300EX..I run into a small problem with the caliper mounting bracket. It won't allow for the rotor to slide between the pads..almost like the outer pad is too thick. I get both pads on, with the piston pushed in, spread open both pads, try to put the caliper back on, but there is no space between the bracket and the outer pad. Any ideas? :confused:

Thanks

yellow_ho_01
11-16-2002, 12:02 PM
first off, if you are useing a screwdriver to PRY apart the pads, STOP! find yourself a 6" c-clamp and press in the piston,.. before you start pressing either loosen or remove the resivoir cap. If you still have the stock "parking brake" make sure that is loose,(or just take it off while your at it.) if the piston still does not go in, or you just can get the caliper on the rotor you might(doubt it) need to pull the piston out and check it all over. but im betting this will work.

quadbiker
12-04-2002, 07:43 PM
I'm betting that will work too.

oregonrider89
12-08-2002, 07:34 AM
Check to see that you parking brake is not slightly engaged. I went through a set of pads in about 4 months when my bike was new. Turns out the guys at the shop had set my parking break and it was always rubbing. I thought it was just the slight contact that disc brakes constantly make. I was sure to remove my parking brake after that.

oregonrider89

dbsbl1
12-09-2002, 02:12 PM
The slider pin/bolt was frozen. I took that out and greased it up, and it works now. I was just using a screwdriver to seperate the pads to slide them over the rotor, the piston was already compressed

Thanks for the help:D

toby400ex
12-10-2002, 09:11 PM
yeah those breaks, are a bihatch. My back breaks didnt fit right for about 5 months until i just recently put a new carrier in it with new bearings,no it wasnt bad bearings, i had replaced the carrier when the breaks stopped fitting, it ended up that some spaces were off and screwin it up.