PDA

View Full Version : Hmmm, Possible Scam?

cody anderson
01-21-2008, 07:50 AM
I got this in my e-mail about one of my bikes for sale. Anybody ever heard of this or seen it?

Thanks,
Cody Anderson #87

Halo.═ I am Viktors═ from Latvia.

I am siriosly interested in bying your ATV HONDA . Variant PEP PB1 ═12.500.══

Is it possible. If it is I will wait your answer as soon as it possible.

The transportation is not a problems because═ I have friend in USA. Who will pay for transportation and also for ATV

chris46250r
01-21-2008, 09:15 AM
Tell them to show up with American green backs and its a deal.

monte433
01-21-2008, 09:16 AM
Just tell him his friends need to bring cash at the time of the sale.

Or tell him your quad will not leave your posession until his method of payment clears the bank and into your account and see what he says.

cody anderson
01-21-2008, 09:24 AM
Well in the second e-mail back he asked for my account number... If you are from another country, don't you think you would be asking
-Do you have the title?
-Do you have the orininal purchas agreement?
-What do I need to get it into this country?

I told him I will need a check for $1,000 in the form of abank certified check and the rest will have to be in cash.

Not to mention in the fist message his english was not very good. In the second one it was much much better!

ny300exrider
01-21-2008, 09:55 AM
typical scam......i get about 5 of those emails a day from craigslist ads im so used to them i can tell if its a scam by the first couple words...

donniebrooke
01-21-2008, 01:11 PM
Just a little more info in case you needed it. I had kind of the same deal happen to me when I tryed to sell my R a few years back. I played along and told the cat as long as he sent the money he could have the quad. Well sure enough, I got a money order in the mail for the exact amont he said he was going to send. It was an official bank check w/ all the proper informatoin. I took it to my bank and ask here if it was real and to try and deposit it. ( i told her i thought it was a scam) the check initially cleared my bank but two days later the Texas branch that it came from called and told my bank that those MO had been stolen and weren't worth Jack! Luckly I held on to my quad but be careful of any kind of dialog between someone when they try to do it all over the mail or internet. My guy said he was also from another contry and tried to type all crazy to support it.

wheresrichie
01-21-2008, 02:18 PM
This IS a SCAM. DO NOT trust this kind of crap. We were taken by an A- HOLE like this and it's not fun. If he doesn't have cash tell him to piss up a rope. I'm sorry for being so blunt but when you get screwed it leaves a sour taste in your mouth. Everytime I see this I get fired up. Just once I would like to catch one of these jerks.

cody anderson
01-21-2008, 02:39 PM
Thanks for the info guys. I'm nervous because this is my BABY! I'm selling it for $12,500... So you can see why I'm motivated. The dude called me and it was from a 371 area code (which really is Latvia Russia. He had his GF talk for him since he's bad with English. And he REALLY WAS speaking Russian. Plus he was asking specific things about the motor like what kind of fuel to run and the motor size?

He wants me to deliver the bike to CT. and then I will get the other $11,000 in cash when I get there from his friends that live in the US.

He tried calling me yesterday morning, too but I didn't answer. They gave me a phone number to reach them at, too???

I would just hate to tell him to take a hike if it's the real deal I guess.

cody anderson
01-21-2008, 02:42 PM
I should also add this info, I DID NOT have it on e-bay or craigslist. I asked him where he found it for sale and he said that he saw it on this website.

xtremelimit
01-21-2008, 03:17 PM
just be careful i would tell him to western union the money then the rest cash i was selling a tahoe and this guy said he was from another country and his agent was sending the 5,000 dollars plus the extra 2,000 dollars so i could pay the shipping company to ship it to vermont so in a couple of days i got a certified check in the mail and brought it to my bank they checked it out and said the funds are available so still thinking it was a scam i called the bank where the check was from and they checked it out and said someone stole their customers information and has been writing fake checks so it would have cleared and i would have sent the 2,000 dollars to the shipping company (scammer) then the bank would have called me and said i am responsible for the 7,000 which means i would be out 2,000 they have no intention to pick up the item they do this to thousands of people a day just watch out

mrbigzmotoxer
01-21-2008, 03:18 PM
dude its a scam,

dont even bother, i had the same situation happen to me. yeah i seems all good, but jsut think this is all these guys do. they are professionals!!! dont you dare go to CT!!!!!!!!!! keep the bike, you'll get your money for it. dont worry, take your time and sell that nice bike.

thanks
pete rio

LT250Racer609
01-21-2008, 11:50 PM
I myself have been down the same road your heading, and so has a buddy of mine...

He had his quad up forsale...recieved a email exactly like yours and the guy claimed he was sending him a check...well to his suprise, the check actually came in the mail...he went to go cash it, and it was Fake...good thing he didnt end up shipping out his quad before he cashed it.

Whenever i put a quad/dirtbike up forsale in my local paper, I Always would recieve emails exactly like yours....and i would give them a time and date that they could come look at it, and they would just completly stop talking...

most likely it is a scam, so be careful....but it wont hurt to pay some extra attention and to find out if hes the real deal or not.

revo3.3
01-22-2008, 12:06 AM
yeah it's a scam, i get almost the same thing from my ad on monkeyads.com, it makes me mad because i get 2 or 3 of them a day.

cody anderson
01-22-2008, 07:33 AM
Hmm, I don't know dude. He just sent me pictures of him racing his Raptor and getting an award. Not to mention he called me from that Latvia country. My last bike I sold to a Canadian and Rath sells his stuff to Europe and the Dominican Repulic.

I'll see if he sends the $1000 and then see if he can come here and get it from me rather than me go to CT.

What do you guys do for down payments? Wire the money or do you do some sort of certified check?

xtremelimit
01-22-2008, 08:37 AM
i would tell him to wire the money that way you know you are not responsible to pay it back if u get a certified check u can cash it but in a day or two if it is a scam the bank will contact you and you will be responsible to pay it back trust me i went through it i have a seven thousand dollar check here that i could cash but for what its fake. do the wire for sure

bens250ex
01-23-2008, 08:03 AM
your situation seems like it could actually be true. if it was a scammer i don't think they would be calling, and plus atv racing is picking up alot more in other countries now. let us know how it goes.

viki
01-23-2008, 08:55 AM
So guys- I`ll explane you everything.
Im the girl whos boyfriend wanted to buy this ATV. I knew that some americans are dum but so dum...
You say "tipical scam"what is so tipical about fact that we want to buy ATV? Is it something unreal or maybe you think that place we live is full of big bad boys with guns who are just waiting for shance to bang-bang little american boys with ATV`s??? I`m really shocked because its not the way people do bussines and its wery unprofessional.
What so wierd about fact that our friends are going for cars and can deliver ATV for as, its lucky coincidence that they are going next week. Of course we offer real $ when he deliver ATV, we offer $ trough bank account ( our friends in Statford could go to bank and manage even this for as) but the cody is soooo suspicious....
ok now I`m little bit mad bicause its humiliates me as person who just want to have a deal not to bang-bang someone.
so at first cody I`ll suggest you-->trust in people and all you`ll see that world is a nice place.

xtremelimit
01-23-2008, 09:03 AM
we are just letting him know what has happened to us we are not saying dont sell but be careful there is no reason that the money cant be sent by western union and the rest cash in hand and please dont say americans are stupid cause that is going to piss alot of people off!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

viki
01-23-2008, 09:06 AM
and 1 more thing yes my boyfriend is ridding honda reptor and he got a lot of awards...or maybe you think that its something unreal for Latvia? Maybe we live on trees and eat raw mushrooms??

viki
01-23-2008, 09:08 AM
hei I said SOME americans-->read my lips!
I totally understand him but what hes doing now is little bit humiliating.

xtremelimit
01-23-2008, 09:13 AM
this sounds even better now because i know for a fact that honda doesnt make a raptor it is a yamaha raptor !!!!:eek2:

nick249420
01-23-2008, 09:14 AM
a honda raptor :huh

viki
01-23-2008, 09:15 AM
sorrry, of course yamaha...Im looking at hondas and said honda--->ye,ye stupi-cupi:)

nick249420
01-23-2008, 09:17 AM
wow...
your call man!
hope it all works out

viki
01-23-2008, 09:17 AM
im just a girl who made a slip--->or its VERRRRY suspicious to??

nick249420
01-23-2008, 09:18 AM
dont trip about it
this guy is just worried about losing a couple thousand dollars
i would be too if i was him

xtremelimit
01-23-2008, 09:21 AM
like i said we are just letting him know thats all he posted this forum and asked and we just gave him our input he will do what he thinks is good hey it could very well be for real it is just something to watch out for and not cause he is from latvia it could happen here to hopefully it works out so he could sell his quad and move on :D

viki
01-23-2008, 09:21 AM
you know when I saw that he is telling all this things- I started to shake for real. you know one day he is talking nicely on phone and second he thinks you are some ****ing robber.
Not nice.

viki
01-23-2008, 09:25 AM
yea but he didnt say sorry Im affraid you are robbers- so Ill not sale to you, he just put new advertisment please, please someone buy my ATV or I have to sell it to some russians ( chupacabras). And we are not russians but Latvians- its good to know geography:);)

nick249420
01-23-2008, 09:26 AM
:huh
....im lost

xtremelimit
01-23-2008, 09:27 AM
i didnt read that

viki
01-23-2008, 09:30 AM
what? the new advertisment? yes, ther is 1.
whatever its a big school 4 me--->maybe you live in world where trast is just a word in dictionary but we think that its nice to trast in people.

xtremelimit
01-23-2008, 09:33 AM
i am going to check it out. this forum turned into a interesting one i have to say:cool:

viki
01-23-2008, 09:38 AM
yeah, 4 me 2:D
My boyfriend wanted this ATV sooo much...Im not interested in ATV`s at all just helped him with english but now its turning out like detective story:)

nick249420
01-23-2008, 09:38 AM
well to stay away from a scam id say make them meet up with you and give you all cash lol

viki
01-23-2008, 09:39 AM
we offered him all in cash but he afraid to meet because he thinks that our friend will bang him down:rolleyes:

xtremelimit
01-23-2008, 09:44 AM
well i think if he wants to meet with cash in hand that is fair and if he wants it could be in a public place no problem with that i bought alot of my quads this way.

nick249420
01-23-2008, 09:45 AM
well ...
cody take some people with you
if you realy want to sell the quad that or you could wait and sell it
to some one else

viki
01-23-2008, 09:52 AM
I just thinking over do you people really think that 12000$ is worth to come from Latvia, bang someone down just to get ATV--->it sounds like good joke for me:D

viki
01-23-2008, 09:53 AM
even for us its not sooo big money.

xtremelimit
01-23-2008, 10:05 AM
its up to him i guess

skyeryder
01-23-2008, 10:17 AM
some more selling info for anyone, a guy i work with sold a Banshee for $3000 cash once he got to the bank he found out it was conterfiet money, so next time I sell a big item I'll invest in a money marker from Wal-mart. Viki that wasn't a poke at you just trying to help everyone

xtremelimit
01-23-2008, 10:18 AM
wow that sucks:(

cody anderson
01-23-2008, 10:28 AM
HOLY COW! Okay, first of all to straighten some things out here... Here is my side of it. This bike is my BABY. I love it, sorry to say, but I do. So I;m just concerned that with all the scams that go on I was a little worried. Second, I will admit, I do NOT know my geography that well so I generalized the location with "Russia". Furthermore to be extra clear, I do not have anything against Russians or Latvains. Infact, I speak a very limited amount of Russian. So, my appologies if I offended you in ANY way. But I just want to keep my atv, my money and my investments safe. Period.

Second, CT is over 22 hours away from me. It's just a long long way for me. Like I offered before, if they can meet me somewhere closer, sure, let's do it in cash. And the bike is ALL yours!

This thread was not meant to hurt feelings or even upset anybody. It was just to get opinions and things and see what other people thought.

My next offer was to wire me the money and then wait the 60 days for international funds to clear and then I will ship the bike to CT for you. I take it this is not possible.

Viki, I totally understand you side of the situation but at the same time I hope you can understand mine as well. If we can work something out, I would be more than happy to get this deal done. I will even throw in an extra set of new tires all the way around for your troubles.

Thank you,
Cody Anderson

cody anderson
01-23-2008, 10:30 AM
Oh, and as far as me being scared off, there was a time where I was robbed at gun point... Not good. Sort of brings down the trust level.

xtremelimit
01-23-2008, 10:32 AM
i was waiting for you to read this cody :eek2:

cody anderson
01-23-2008, 10:39 AM
Viki,

There is a way for us to still work this out for this weekend.

1) do you have any references over here? Such as aftermarket companies that you have bought things from? Is so, I need his first and last name so I can chek it out.

2) Is it possible for me to meet your friends in CT on Saturday or Sunday morning?

3) What do you need for papers to get this across the ocean? Exporting documents? Anything?

If you can, I will bring you the bike and they bring the cash in US $

viki
01-23-2008, 11:07 AM
HI Cody:)

I didnt want to be so harsh but it really hurted my feelings.
1.The guy that was ment to meet you and give you money- Agris Neija has bought a lot of things not me( only things I have bought was from Victoria Secrets dont think it will help you) :)
2.They will be in Statford only from Monday till Wednesday till container will be filled up then they ship away.
3. Only document we need is title besause ATC hav no registered nummber as cars they go only with title.
oh, gad , story....
:D

cody anderson
01-23-2008, 11:11 AM
I totally understand, I don't blame you. I would be a little hurt, too.

I found a friend that is willing to drive it out there for me. (I have to work all next week.) So, we can possibly still do this.

Here is what I need, what is the EXACT location we need to deliver the ATV? I have looked into Statford, but have not found the location? Only Stanford, ect. But not that spelling.

Also, what time EXACTLY does he need to be there?

What I need from you, $12,500 in US cash.

viki
01-23-2008, 11:34 AM
The city is Stratford but its... Connecticut city zipp code 06615- My friend talk on phone with this Agris and of course pi**ed up all the cities(so with all the responsebility I can apologize and tell everybody that my boyfrien is also big geographical dummie) Is it the same hours to drive or much more?:rolleyes:
It would be nice if tour friend could deliver ATV Tuesday or Wednesday but he need to call this Agris before driving telephone nummber 0037126551197 because they will be in car auctions -so they can arrange where and what time to meet.
And we bring with us $ 12`500 thats 4 sure:)

cody anderson
01-23-2008, 12:47 PM
Ok, well let's do this then...

Does Agris speak English? My friend does not know Russian or Latvian.

Stratford is about the same distance. 1 day. Do they have a preferance what day and do you know the exact location? My friend can bring the bike straight to the car auction.

The only problem is that I will not have time to get the new plastic on the bike before that. So the plastic that is on it now will have to go with it. Don't worry, it's in excellent shape!

Tell Viktor to take are of my baby!

viki
01-23-2008, 12:57 PM
Of course he speaks english:)
It doesnt metters Tuesday or Wednesday, your frien just need to call to Agris and then they will arrange exatly where in the city and what time. Lets say when your friend is not far from city he have to call and they will talk about details.
ok its nice to bring to auction he just need to call Agris where and what time it will be because I dont know it.
Ok its ok about plastics:)
And sure he will take care ridding, ridding and ridding:D

cody anderson
01-23-2008, 01:05 PM
Ok, I have the number. I assume that is a cell phone number and that cell phone will work over here in the USA? (Dumb question, I know. :huh )

I will send Chris out on Monday Morning. He should be there Tuesday Afternoon.

If you can get me the address of the auto auction that would be great!

Thanks,

mrbigzmotoxer
01-23-2008, 01:12 PM
its your decision man,

let us know how you make out.
ur still taking a chance and if it seems too good to be true, it usually IS

good luck to you let us know

pete

viki
01-23-2008, 01:12 PM
yeh this cell phone will work in USA:)
Tuesday afternoon is ok.
Now its 22.00 evening and i cant call so late to ask but tomorrow I`ll try to find out:)

And after all, Thanks a lot.

tg413
01-23-2008, 01:19 PM
I am in CT every wednesday for car auctions with a couple of my friends , so i could squeeze it in to meet with you or something, just stand to the side.....We are in east granby ct , on wednesdays from 5pm to 10pm at the hartford springfield co-op auction, its right near Bradley international airport, actually its an airport hanger, and there is hundreds of people around and a couple cops on duty at all times...Just so you feel safe.... Let me know if you get it worked out.....Not saying it is a scam but you have alot of $$ tied up into that machine.People from lativia might be so trusting but she dont understand that the american people have been targets of scams that "sound" similar to this with the shipping and the friend in the states deal...Cant get hurt with cash... Pm me if you want to set something up man..

viki
01-23-2008, 01:20 PM
to all sceptics-->it will work out and i give my word with no problems;)

cody anderson
01-23-2008, 01:21 PM
Sounds good. I'll talk to you tomorrow then.

viki
01-23-2008, 01:23 PM
tg413

please, youre wellcomed to come and look after situation--->yehh acctualy its nice how you help each other:)

cody anderson
01-23-2008, 01:27 PM
Originally posted by mrbigzmotoxer
its your decision man,

let us know how you make out.
ur still taking a chance and if it seems too good to be true, it usually IS

good luck to you let us know

pete

It's not that it's too good. That's what I was asking for the bike and actually the whole situation is somewhat hindersone but that's ok. Most sales are...

beobe99
01-24-2008, 03:11 AM
Hey Cody, and Viki.

I wanted to let all the others know that the quads we get here are either not availible over seas or are twice as much money to buy. I work at a dealership and get ALOT of guys from Ukraine, Russia, and Dominican republic wanting to buy new quads to have shipped over seas and they have real cash in there hands. Its very common. (they can buy new here, ship it, and still be saving over 2k)

BUT whats also common is people running scams from over seas do to the fact that we personaly wouldnt travel there to get our money back and Our police wouldnt either not to mention over seas Police even giving a sh** about it.

Viki, it is very common for people from ALL countries to try and scam us out of money through email. like said above just about everytime someone has a very nice quad for sale they start to get emails from other countries about money orders or the best one is "I all ready have money order for $10,000 and you send me the quad and the money difference" I've personaly got that one (I was asking $5000 for the qaud)

It has nothing to do with Russia, and I DON'T think you are trying to scam anyone.

Next time your boyfriend want's to buy a quad from USA just tell him to have his friend buy it and not mention anything about Over Seas cause it makes us nervous hehe!

:D

I hope it all works out for the both of you.

cody anderson
01-28-2008, 01:55 PM
Just an undate to everyone, my bike is in CT right now with 3 of my friends and we are waiting for the arivial of Agris from Latvia. I have been in contact with the buyers and everything is good to go so far!

CMA87

cody anderson
01-28-2008, 09:20 PM
For those of you who have been following this thread, here is the latest update. The Latvians flew in tonight, my driver met with them and it's a done deal. NOT A SCAM!!! It was a legit deal. Viktor from Latvia has a beautiful new bike!

Thanks for your help with the language barier Viki!!!

Cody Anderson

beobe99
01-28-2008, 11:28 PM
Its very nice to know that not everyone is out to scam money and that theres people who truely are buyers.

Im glad to see it turned out for you cody, and for the buyer.

viki
01-29-2008, 03:51 AM
Yeah, everything turned out quite nice. For me the best feeling is that i had a chance to show that viki is not the "gratestscammaster" but simple girl who just time to time wants to buy things overseas:D

cody anderson
01-29-2008, 07:36 AM
Sorry for calling last night and waking you up Viki :rolleyes:

1shooter
01-30-2008, 07:50 AM
I never sold a whole bike overseas but get people buying parts from country's i barely heard of.

I always tell them to send the money and when it clears it there's.

You can call there bank and make sure all the funds are good.

I guess its like finding a diamond in the rough looks like a regular stone (ie scam) till you see it shimmer a bit (ie cash in hand).

Still looking for my diamond.:cool: