PDA

View Full Version : Did I kill my Quad?

Kev450R
01-21-2008, 07:37 AM
Well I admit it, I did a REALLY dumb thing the last time I serviced my 450R. It seems I over-filled the trans oil (I think I put an entire quart of oil in). That was a couple of weeks ago, this past weekend I rode it for the first time since I serviced it and had oil spitting all over the place.

Here's my question, now that I know what I did (and I won't make this mistake again) what sort of damage did I do? I had nightmares of a blown headgasket, blown seals, etc.

So what damage could I have done, and what do I have to do to fix it? Be kind, I know I messed-up and I haven't cleaned the quad so there's still oil everywhere! At first blush I *think* most of the oil was coming from the overflow which goes to the air filter, though there is no oil in the airbox. And the quad ran and shifted fine all weekend (probably about 30 miles of trail riding).

Thanks in advance for any advice, I can post photos if need be.

--Kevin

New450r
01-21-2008, 07:46 AM
I have never overfilled mine that much but mine did the same thing and it was fine but make sure you keep an eye on it Because I lended it to a friend he checked the motor side but not the tran and ran it dry. I had to replace everything.

Sjorge450R
01-21-2008, 08:04 AM
eh, you had oil shooting into the air box? IF so, then the venting system did its job.

mymastifftucker
01-21-2008, 12:54 PM
I did the exact same thing the first time I changed the oil on my 07'. Once it got done pissing oil everywhere it was fine, didnt hurt anything. And I havent made that mistake again either!!!

Kev450R
01-21-2008, 05:18 PM
Thanks guys, that makes me feel a lot better, in a couple of days I'm going to clean it up then drain and re-fill (properly) with the correct amount of oil. We're planning another riding trip in a couple of weeks so I'll be anxious to see how it does.

Thanks again!

--Kevin

JimmyHoffa
01-21-2008, 11:18 PM
For future safety, just leave the check bolt out while you're filling it up, and when it runs out of the hole, button everything back up. That's how I roll. Never lets me down.