PDA

View Full Version : bolt kits?

casey_lamm
01-21-2008, 06:31 AM
Wondered if anyone sells a kit of OEM bolts for the 400 ex.

Im looking for stuff like crush washers, oil filter bolts, engine drain bolt, etc...

I want OEM because of the softness. I like the idea they will strip before damaging the threads of the engine.

Also as a part 2, what are the best techniques for removing bolts that broke? I was changing the oil..it was probably 10 degrees out or so... I was all finished went to put the drain bolt back in and set my torque rench for 7 ft lbs. well the darn thing snapped on me...

I went to the honda shop and they didn't have any of the right one, so I got a crush washer from them and the proper size bolt from the hardware store.

Anyway, if you have any advice, I am all ears.

Thanks!

casey_lamm
01-21-2008, 03:51 PM
bump
Originally posted by casey_lamm
Wondered if anyone sells a kit of OEM bolts for the 400 ex.

Im looking for stuff like crush washers, oil filter bolts, engine drain bolt, etc...

I want OEM because of the softness. I like the idea they will strip before damaging the threads of the engine.

Also as a part 2, what are the best techniques for removing bolts that broke? I was changing the oil..it was probably 10 degrees out or so... I was all finished went to put the drain bolt back in and set my torque rench for 7 ft lbs. well the darn thing snapped on me...

I went to the honda shop and they didn't have any of the right one, so I got a crush washer from them and the proper size bolt from the hardware store.

Anyway, if you have any advice, I am all ears.

Thanks!

byrdman
01-21-2008, 03:53 PM
you need to drill throught the center of the bolt. not all the way through if its your drain plug, so you dont get metal shavings in your engine. then you need to use the coresponding easy out, which you can purchase at a hardware store. i buy mine off of my tool truck and they are a little diferent but work the same. i would suggest running the engine to get it hot before trying to remove the bolt so that it will come out easier. hope that helps.

casey_lamm
01-21-2008, 04:04 PM
I guess i was lucky. I would suggest to anyone that runs into this before drilling try a set of detal picks and try to rotate the broken part. For me it worked...this time :)

How about those bolt kits...is there an OEM set that im not finding?

Originally posted by byrdman
you need to drill throught the center of the bolt. not all the way through if its your drain plug, so you dont get metal shavings in your engine. then you need to use the coresponding easy out, which you can purchase at a hardware store. i buy mine off of my tool truck and they are a little diferent but work the same. i would suggest running the engine to get it hot before trying to remove the bolt so that it will come out easier. hope that helps.

byrdman
01-21-2008, 04:16 PM
lucky, usualy when a bolt breaks there is a reason. i figured it was cross threaded or something. i have been able to use picks in the past but those jobs are few and far between.

casey_lamm
01-21-2008, 04:22 PM
i hear ya! when that thing snapped I was p*ssed! i mean i set my tq wrench below the spec it needed. I just wanted to go out and ride...luckily i had a 6x12 bolt...had to get a crush washer...but i was worried. I dont trust myself to drill into a small uneven place. So I tought my day was shot.

I figure the bitter cold might have had something to do with it.
Originally posted by byrdman
lucky, usualy when a bolt breaks there is a reason. i figured it was cross threaded or something. i have been able to use picks in the past but those jobs are few and far between.

byrdman
01-21-2008, 05:58 PM
10 degrees and riding, man thats painful. but i know how it is to just want to get out and rip even if it is freezing.

casey_lamm
01-22-2008, 03:23 PM
anyone know where you can get an OEM bolt kit?

casey_lamm
02-02-2008, 09:34 PM
one last try before I just order them individually. Anyone know if this kit exists?

Originally posted by casey_lamm
anyone know where you can get an OEM bolt kit?

250x_kyle
02-02-2008, 09:45 PM
i might have the bolts you need ill check tomarrow. as far as breaking you probably wernt on it strait. doesnt take much at all to snap something with a torque wrench if ur not on it strait.

lorenjr83
02-02-2008, 10:12 PM
i have seen all sorts of bolt kits on ebay

casey_lamm
02-03-2008, 11:07 AM
i have seen those too, but they dont seem like they are OEM. I want blots that are as soft as factory.

Originally posted by lorenjr83
i have seen all sorts of bolt kits on ebay