PDA

View Full Version : 450R carb to 400EX adapter

zrpilot
01-20-2008, 07:30 PM
Adapter to make the installation of a '04-'05 450R carb on the 400EX MUCH easier. It solves (2) issues with this mod:

1) Eliminates the need to move the air box from the stock location.
2) Eliminates the need to hit and stretch (often tearing) the air box snorkel so it will fit the 450R carb

Also makes the whole installation look stock!

I have made a small run of the adapters and once they are gone, I will no longer make more.

They are machined from billet aluminum on a CNC machine.

Price is $45 shipped to lower 48 states.

PM me if interested.

Please see my installation that I did on my 400EX.

My 450R carb installation (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=314423)

atvhonda-rider
01-28-2008, 02:47 PM
Man i really want one because im going to need a carb and im looking in to the 450r carb... im just to hesitant to trust myself working on the carb, carbs are my weak point : /

atvhonda-rider
01-28-2008, 04:53 PM
If i understand correctly, doesn't the 450r carb need to be fitted to the 400ex engine air boot? So with your attachment, the following i would need to do is:

-Install your attachment
-Sand down 400ex engine air boot?
-Install a 450r throttle cable
-And NO CLUE on hot start issues and the relocating of something?? could you explain please

Thanks for your time!

zrpilot
01-28-2008, 05:38 PM
You partially correct. With this adapter you would need to do the following things:
1) Using a sanding drum on a Dremel, sand the rubber INTAKE-side air horn JUST enough for the 450R carb to fit in snugly. Be careful not to remove TOO much material. You will still need some of the existing molded ribs in this air horn to provide a good seal for the carb!
2) Using the Dremel again, sand the AIR-box side of the CARB to remove most of the cast aluminum ridges on the carb to allow for the adapter to fit. THIS is the one step people seem to get wrong!

When grinding the ridges off the air-box side of the carb, do it evenly around the perimeter and leave enough of the ridges for a "press fit" onto the adapter.

3) Use some RTV and spread a thin coat on both the carb (air-boot side) and the adapter. Then using a SOFT-jawed bench vise, press them together. If you have ground the carb correctly, this step should give you a nice press fit that will NOT come apart. Allow this to dry overnight and remove the excess RTV by hand.

4) Use RTV again to seal the hot start off.

5) Purchase a 450R carb throttle cable and fual line.

6) Install as a normal carb would go.

7) OPTIONAL: I chose to re-locate a vent hole in the top of my carb so it would not interfere with the tank, but many people have not done this and it seems to work OK.

Thats is about it. Refer to my detailed post for pictures and further info!

MY 450R installation post (http://www.exriders.com/vbb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=314423)

zrpilot
02-02-2008, 08:19 AM
PM if interested

Zermat
02-06-2008, 09:55 AM
PM sent, I want one!

Galfer
02-09-2008, 07:24 AM
Do you have any left? PM sent.

zrpilot
02-27-2008, 06:49 AM
IF interested, still a couple left. Price is $45 shipped. PM for details.

400exMO
02-27-2008, 01:53 PM
pm'd u