PDA

View Full Version : how do you pain your own car/truck?

woodsracer144
01-20-2008, 07:30 PM
ok i wanna get my brothers truck but it needs a new paint job, whats a good deal on the pain? any one know any good spoits i know that the paint isnt cheap but i can get allthe guns and stuff. its a orange/ brown color thing goin now but i was thinkin about a brownish or a black....

Which 450?
01-21-2008, 04:39 AM
One thing I learned about painting cars.... You will have more in paint then the car is worth. You will have over $1000 in supplies and paint quicker then you would believe....

woodsracer144
01-21-2008, 02:45 PM
i have a buddy with all the paintin things the gun all the tapeing
all i have to do is do the paint. whats that cost me. its a 88 chevy scottsdale 10 like a 1500....

sly400ex
01-21-2008, 02:50 PM
I would count on a few hundred dollars at least. You'll need paint primer, clear and all the other little things too.

How nice of a truck is it? Why not just get a few hundred dollar from Maaco or some place like that?

woodsracer144
01-21-2008, 03:56 PM
88 chevy scottsdale 10
6 on the susp. and 3 on the body,
i think its a full holly motor, i know its at least the header and theres a aftermarket carb.
33's on crome rims
aftermarket exhaust... not sure.
its a cool brown color, i really like that if i can find a color that i like that would go with it i would do a 2 tone, thats what i wanna do and leave like 2 and a half inches from the top of the side pannels by the hood and make a line across and the line above have it the brown and below the other color. but i dont know how much it would cost. i woudl also like to get in to the custom painting... like for harleys and cars.
thanks!

TJFATE450
01-21-2008, 04:36 PM
hey man thats cool you want to paint your truck. do you have a paint booth to spray it in? as far as paint goes theres several choices, cheapest probably being marine enamel.you wont get that great of a result. if your lookin for a great all around paint id go with a two part paint from dupont. also do you need to do any body work, a new paint job is gonna show all the imperfections.

woodsracer144
01-21-2008, 04:45 PM
no i dont have a booth yet. im only 16, i have a buddy that has a huge shed that i can use tho. and all that and he has a paint thing goin, he does old cars and he races a 07 CRF 250.
hes got a charger goin on right now. its nice

mineralgrey01gt
01-21-2008, 05:19 PM
be prepared to drop some good money in this. Also have you tried FACT-O-BAKE? They paint cars for like $600, its crap paint job but its a paint job

woodsracer144
01-21-2008, 05:27 PM
no i dont settle with crap. when i do it its done right the first time... its only riged up here and there but the looks are done right

Kickstarts-suck
01-21-2008, 08:17 PM
Im going to paint mine one day and my grandparents have everything I need.

Probably will cost me about $700

hungus07trx400
01-21-2008, 08:49 PM
You oughtta see the job I did on mine, I used a roller and a toothbrush for the small hard to reach spots. Came out Priiimo

TJFATE450
01-21-2008, 09:04 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
no i dont have a booth yet. im only 16, i have a buddy that has a huge shed that i can use tho. and all that and he has a paint thing goin, he does old cars and he races a 07 CRF 250.
hes got a charger goin on right now. its nice

that'll work just make sure you wet everything down so theres zero dust... i learned from that mistake lol. you proly already know about these guys but there my fav for truck parts and the mag is freehttp://lmctruck.com/

Kickstarts-suck
01-21-2008, 09:14 PM
Originally posted by TJFATE450
that'll work just make sure you wet everything down so theres zero dust... i learned from that mistake lol. you proly already know about these guys but there my fav for truck parts and the mag is freehttp://lmctruck.com/

yea LMC is great! Bought alot of things from them.

01-21-2008, 11:28 PM
Dont paint it your self. It wont look good. Maco can do cheep paint jobs they say low as $400. But maco dont do the best paint jobs thats why they charge so little. If you want a paint job that looks ok its going to cos you 2-3 thousnd. If you want it to look like new you will be paying around $6000

01-21-2008, 11:31 PM
I been looking around and some places even charge $800 for just painting 2 bumpers and 2 side skirts.

I have a uncle and cuzzen that race car and their friend does all the paint jobs on their cars. I'm probably having my car painted by him and get a deal.

bulkdriverlp
01-22-2008, 06:17 AM
you would be better off going to maaco. if you try to paint a truck in a shed, the first time you pull the trigger all the dust from the floor and walls will fly in the paint then your screwed. theres a lot more to painting than it seems. a minumum you need is a garage with concrete floor wetted down.

72 chevelle ss
01-22-2008, 09:09 AM
What everyone is saying on here is true. Painting takes so much prep work to make it look good. Especially if you go with black to paint your truck, black shows every tiny imperfection. If you have never even picked up a gun before I suggest having someone else do it for you.

woodsracer144
01-22-2008, 03:26 PM
Originally posted by bajaracer21
Dont paint it your self. It wont look good. Maco can do cheep paint jobs they say low as $400. But maco dont do the best paint jobs thats why they charge so little. If you want a paint job that looks ok its going to cos you 2-3 thousnd. If you want it to look like new you will be paying around $6000

um... i can do a good job, i have a buddy taht does it for livine, he has a shop but its not a private booth...

he has all the tools and goodies you need...

firefighterjosh
01-22-2008, 03:28 PM
Have pappy powder coat it:D

TJFATE450
01-22-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by woodsracer144
um... i can do a good job, i have a buddy taht does it for livine, he has a shop but its not a private booth...

he has all the tools and goodies you need...

u can do it( my firstwas at sixteen) it may not be perfectly flawless but YOU did it and thats somthin to be proud of. use every bit of your common sense. also id get an old car from a junk yard to practice otherwise you end up findin out somethin hyou needed to know when your doin your truck. talk to ur buddy that paints cars, ull get a lot of tips and tricks that way... i wanna see pics when its done:cool: ... listen to what these guys r sayin ... its a hell of a lot of work.

woodsracer144
01-22-2008, 08:30 PM
yeah i know its not gonna be simple, i've been watchin alot of car and truck things where they paint. i think im gonna get a really cheap gun to pract. with and i have a old craper to pain on...

i have to talk to my brother on the truck still but i thing if i can do it ... it will be done good. i can take my time, and if i mess up... its just paint....

TJFATE450
01-23-2008, 04:57 PM
don't go too cheap with the gun ul just end up fighting with it and wont learn anything. dont get the very best but get a decent one that your local dealership recomends. i got a 'sharp ti' cup gun i'm happy with... binks would probably be a good brand also.

woodsracer144
01-23-2008, 05:12 PM
how much are you payin for the gun? theres a cheapy on for 16 or something like that... but im not gonna but that one.

Mxjunkie
01-23-2008, 05:51 PM
Depending on how much body work is involved on the vehicle prices can range from 1000-2000 dollars all the way to 2500-4000.. which yes I know seems a lot but I am talking from experience on this, painting cars is a little more expensive then people may think..

All of the materials is included and labor such as rust work which means quater panels, dog legs, door jams etc.. Dents and dings have to be removed and fixed as well, a lot of time is spent taking the cars apart so they can be painted, if you change the color of the car the doors, fenders and other misc body parts have to come off for proper color distribution for a great overall paint job. Then they have to degrease the car 3-4 times with PPG 320 and 870 before they can spray anything on it. Once the car is clean they tack it off start with either a regular primer or an epoxy. Epoxy sealers are often used on the entire car to insure a great base for the new paint to adhesive too and they also offer a great barrier against moisture which can cause Rusting! The sad part is after all those materials just added up your bill too the moon, Yes the paint isn't cheap either, pints range from 65 dollars to 175 dollars a pint prices differ if the color is a solid, metallic or tri-coat pearl.. Other differnces are single stage, base coat/ clear coat. You need just about a gallon and a half to do an overall paint job, do the math it's pricey.. :p Then include the cost of clear coat, assembling the car again and yes you pay for them to wash it if you take it there dirty.. :devil:

Here's the 400 dollar macco way.. :chinese:

Tape up car, get four drunks and hand them scrubbies!

Show drunks how to scrub the cars paint!

Get paint from 55 gallon drum and show drunk how to paint!

Catch my drift :blah:

woodsracer144
01-23-2008, 06:20 PM
yeah its gonna be the same color as it is. like i've said a ton before, i have a buddy with all the stuff that i would need... all i have to do is pay for the paint and help him paint it. and im gonna do all the sanding and everything that is needed and if i get t o a hard part he will help me.... im not cheapin it out.