PDA

View Full Version : plug color?

kicker696
11-14-2002, 04:25 PM
ok, maybe this should go in the frequently asked questions or somthin, if so then ben would you please move it for me. Anyways what i want to know is what are the colors of the plug suppose to be for jetting? such as like rich-color, just right-color, and lean-color. pics would be great! one more question, how do i tell if my piolet needs to be changed?

jb400exxx
11-14-2002, 08:06 PM
i was told it was supposed to look like cocoa. like a milk chocolate color. too dark is rich, too light is lean. hope that helped.

kicker696
11-15-2002, 12:18 AM
thanks that helps some, anymore?

nakomis0
11-15-2002, 12:32 AM
Lean = white or gray
rich = black or dark brown, Wet or sooty
perfect = light brown,

here's a perfect plug..

danney f
11-15-2002, 12:57 AM
You want it some where in between. If it looks like it has a lot of carbon build up on it, kind of black than its to rich. If it's kind of white ashy looking it's to lean. You want it to be somewhere around a dark creamish tan. To tell where you are running lean/rich at you need to buy yourself a handfull of new spark plugs, at least 3.
Install a new plug and let the machine run at idle to 1/4 throttle, than pull your plug and read it. This reading will tell you if your air screw and pilot are correct. The air screw should not need to be turned out any more than 2 1/2 turns for it to run right at idle. If it does than you need to change your pilot.

Install the second new plug and run the machine from 1/4 to 1/2 throttle, than pull the plug and take the reading once again. This time the reading will tell you if you need to adjust the needle. Moveing the "E" clip on the needle up will make it run leaner and moveing it down will make it run richer.

Now install the third plug and run the machine from 1/2 to WOT, pull the plug and read it. This will tell you if your main jet is correct.

The best way to do these runs is in an open area. Ride the quad with the throttle in the desired position to preform the test for a few seconds. While keeping the throttle in the same position, pull in on the clutch and turn the run switch to off. To get the best reading turn it off at the same time you pull in on the clutch.
I hope this helps you some. Good luck!