PDA

View Full Version : How do I change the oil?? KFX 400

dbfd588
01-20-2008, 01:51 PM
My first racing quad. How do I change the oil? What kind does it use? Also what are some general mantinence that I need to do. How often do I lube the chain. What all fluids should be change and how often? Thanks

TheNewn
01-20-2008, 08:30 PM
Please GOD get a Clymer manual for yours. Or a dealer service manual. It'll tell you everything you need to know and then some.

The service manual for my dads Raptor 700 tells you everything from cable management to how much play should be in your throttle lever and how to adjust it.

It'll answer any questions you have.

RATPACK Z400
01-21-2008, 03:11 PM
Theres a plug under motor&under oiltank drain both then pull filter theres 3 bolts on right side of motor watch which way filter go,s back in then fill with 20-50 motor oil( not sinthetic) will make clutch slip.I think its about 4 1/2 to fill?

dbfd588
01-21-2008, 08:53 PM
i change it cuz I got in some water and was afraid it got in the oil. I only drained it out of the engine. And I used 10-40. Is that ok?

bellzbub
01-21-2008, 08:54 PM
Originally posted by RATPACK Z400
Theres a plug under motor&under oiltank drain both then pull filter theres 3 bolts on right side of motor watch which way filter go,s back in then fill with 20-50 motor oil( not sinthetic) will make clutch slip.I think its about 4 1/2 to fill?

??????????? wtf???????? that makes absolutely no sense. the procedure is in the owners manual. as for oil you can use any atv formula. DO NOT USE CAR OIL. it contains friction modifiers which will damage your clutch. you can use synthetic as long as it is for atv's or motorcycles. i have used many different brands and weights. i now use valvoline atv blend. 10w40. it is alot cheaper than most brands. now i change my oil after every second ride. my motor is highly built and i maintain it more often. and as far as the 4 1/2 bit . if you put 4 1/2 quarts of oil in it you will have huge problems. the manual and the sticker on the oil tank say 2100ml. 2200ml with a filter change. that comes out to a little over 2 quarts.
get yourself a manual before you get some seriously bad advice and ruin your new bike.

indyZrider
01-22-2008, 08:14 AM

no no! it 2.2 quarts like bellzbub said and NEVER use car oil. valvoline does make an atv oil you can find at autozone but always make sure its for an atv. i run maxima synthetic and my clutch is fine.

dbfd588
01-22-2008, 12:21 PM
alright thanks guys. I put Vavaline 10w40 4 stroke oil in it.

tim colston
01-22-2008, 12:29 PM

If you don't know what you are talking about don't talk. Bad advice. Get yourself a manual!!

RATPACK Z400
01-22-2008, 05:08 PM
YES I MADE MISTAKE ON FLUID AMOUNTS SO SORRY! you guys are so anal about everything,always trying to beat up on someone if they are mistaken on something.next time I,ll make sure Im 100% right before answering, don,t what to offend the know-it-alls. BY THE WAY I SAID I THINK ITS 4 1/2 didn,t have manual on hand.

jherbie28
01-22-2008, 06:39 PM
YES I MADE MISTAKE ON FLUID AMOUNTS SO SORRY! you guys are so anal about everything,always trying to beat up on someone if they are mistaken on something.next time I,ll make sure Im 100% right before answering, don,t what to offend the know-it-alls. BY THE WAY I SAID I THINK ITS 4 1/2 didn,t have manual on hand.

look dude, the problem is you are giving answers to questions you dont know:ermm: this person came to us with a problem even though its simple he does not know yet. please just make sure your 100% right before you answer. dont get bent out of shape. you were not even remotely close.

DirtSlinger2
01-30-2008, 01:13 PM
Look Guys....this is simple , you have 1 person hold the socket and another person spin the four wheeler until the drain plug falls out. Be careful with this :-)

jherbie28
01-30-2008, 02:27 PM
Originally posted by DirtSlinger2
Look Guys....this is simple , you have 1 person hold the socket and another person spin the four wheeler until the drain plug falls out. Be careful with this :-)

what a d!*k, :devil: :p lmfao

cataway
02-02-2008, 05:34 PM
Originally posted by DirtSlinger2
well yeah but how do you get it back in

mxpimp2000
01-01-2009, 11:24 PM
why not use car oil? alot of the local and big time race shops like JPMX tell me to use castrol 20w-50 and its never harmed my engine b4 but now i use valvoline VR1 racing oil in my yfz its 5.25 a qt and its great oil never had any problems with car oils b4 just my .02

jonboy
01-02-2009, 12:50 AM
I cant see James Perry telling you to use heavy weight car oil unless your tranny oil is kept seperate from he motor oil like the old 2 strokes. In a wet clutch bike like the Z and its clones ATV oil is specified. I have never had any problems honda's GN4 oil.

mxpimp2000
01-02-2009, 10:53 AM
i used motor oil in my blaster back in 2001 and ive been using it in my 06 yfz all this year and in my 400ex also, james is awesome mechanic and he knows his stuff or jeremiah wouldnt have rode for him, speakin or jeremiah i was at his house a couple months ago he was working on someones quad gettin it ready for the 10hr race and he had changed the oil and used car oil

mxpimp2000
01-04-2009, 08:23 PM
quick question, since the 400 takes 2.2L of oil how much goes in the tank and how much goes in the motor? 1 qt each?

RTJ
01-05-2009, 01:19 AM
NO NO the engine takes alot less. i have it wrote down in my shop. i'll look 2morrow and let u know for sure

birdman652001
01-05-2009, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by mxpimp2000
quick question, since the 400 takes 2.2L of oil how much goes in the tank and how much goes in the motor? 1 qt each?

you dont even have to put oil in the engine crank case.. just put in 2.2l of oil in the oil box and then just let it run.. the oil will transfer oil to the crank case....

dont put any more than 2.2 oil in it or you will ruin your engine.

mxpimp2000
01-05-2009, 10:34 AM
well i just changed it the other day and i put almost a full quart in the case and one quart and what was left out of the bottle i didnt put in the engine, i hope i aint gotta drain it out now:confused:

birdman652001
01-05-2009, 11:18 AM
well i just changed it the other day and i put almost a full quart in the case and one quart and what was left out of the bottle i didnt put in the engine, i hope i aint gotta drain it out now:confused:

nah youre fine if you put a quart in the engine and 1.1 quart in the oil box.. youd be fine.. but if you put 2.1 in the oil box and then added 1 quart to the engine.. you got 3.1 quarts..

you can divide it is fine.. but i normally drain both engine and box out.. and then just fill the oil box and let it set for a few hours. after awhile.. your oil box dipstick should be LOW.. but everyone knows youre suppose to run your engine for 3 minutes and then check the dipstick. try that.

JBacon
01-13-2009, 08:51 PM
BIG bolt on the bottom, unscrew it. There is a washer...so don't lose it. This blackish-brownish stuff will start to come out, that's oil. :D Then on the right side of your engine is a circular looking thing with 3 bolts. That would be the oil filter. There are very significant parts in that, so be careful when you unscrew it. Take out old filter, clean out the inside....install new filter. Then, screw back in your little plug WITH washer (it will leak without it...durrr.lol), Then unscrew the dipstick on the oil resevior (spell?). Pour in specified amount, (I forgot how much.) I always use Valvoline 10w-40 ATV/motorcycle oil, good viscosity for where I live. If it's not ATV/Motorcycle oil, then its gonna screw up your clutch. :mad: And uh......thats about it. OH YEA, screw the dipstick back in. lol.....:devil:

Correct me If im wrong on anything, Im pretty sure im not though. :o

mxpimp2000
01-13-2009, 09:22 PM
Originally posted by JBacon
BIG bolt on the bottom, unscrew it. There is a washer...so don't lose it. This blackish-brownish stuff will start to come out, that's oil. :D Then on the right side of your engine is a circular looking thing with 3 bolts. That would be the oil filter. There are very significant parts in that, so be careful when you unscrew it. Take out old filter, clean out the inside....install new filter. Then, screw back in your little plug WITH washer (it will leak without it...durrr.lol), Then unscrew the dipstick on the oil resevior (spell?). Pour in specified amount, (I forgot how much.) I always use Valvoline 10w-40 ATV/motorcycle oil, good viscosity for where I live. If it's not ATV/Motorcycle oil, then its gonna screw up your clutch. :mad: And uh......thats about it. OH YEA, screw the dipstick back in. lol.....:devil:

Correct me If im wrong on anything, Im pretty sure im not though. :o

NO WAY!!!! this should be a sticky lets get a video and pics while ur at it MAN!!! i never knew quads used oil before thats AWESOME!!! they even got a dip stick to? OMG NO WAY!!!!! freaking awesome DUUDE!!!:macho :eek2:

JBacon
01-16-2009, 10:46 AM
NO WAY!!!! this should be a sticky lets get a video and pics while ur at it MAN!!! i never knew quads used oil before thats AWESOME!!! they even got a dip stick to? OMG NO WAY!!!!! freaking awesome DUUDE!!!:macho :eek2:

Yea dumbass they got dipsticks. Can you not recognize a joke when you see one? That WHOLE post I made was a dumbass post.

mxpimp2000
01-16-2009, 11:51 AM
nahh sh*t shirlock, i think i was doing the same but it sounded like u was tryin to be a smartas* as well towards me acting like i didnt know how to change oil

JBacon
01-16-2009, 12:04 PM
nahh sh*t shirlock, i think i was doing the same but it sounded like u was tryin to be a smartas* as well towards me acting like i didnt know how to change oil

Actually I wasn't, maybe this part sounded like it-This blackish-brownish stuff will start to come out, that's oil. :D

That was the only stupid part. Other than that, I was trying to help you.

BTW, don't forget to drain the oil from the oil res. too.

mxpimp2000
01-16-2009, 12:20 PM
its all good to me u didnt offend me none i just figured id have something stupid and smarta** to say since i thought this was being said towards me in the first place, :D

JBacon
01-16-2009, 01:42 PM
its all good to me u didnt offend me none i just figured id have something stupid and smarta** to say since i thought this was being said towards me in the first place, :D
lol...nah. I wasn't trying to be. I forgot how much oil to put in. I lost my manual, how much did you put in?

mxpimp2000
01-16-2009, 05:01 PM
1qt in the motor and 1qt in the res.

JBacon
01-17-2009, 03:15 PM
1qt in the motor and 1qt in the res.

Wait....what? Where the hell do you put it in the motor? I put mine in the res....run it for a few minutes, and put the rest in.

mxpimp2000
01-17-2009, 03:32 PM
on the left side theres a allen screw bolt type that goes on the top of the case and when u open it u can see the gears and sh*t thats how i did on my yfz450

airmobile101
01-18-2009, 02:46 AM
Wait....what? Where the hell do you put it in the motor? I put mine in the res....run it for a few minutes, and put the rest in.
Thats the only way I know.

birdman652001
01-18-2009, 11:26 AM

me too... for a KFX/Z 400

on the left side theres a allen screw bolt type that goes on the top of the case and when u open it u can see the gears and sh*t thats how i did on my yfz450

and we're talking about two different ATV's here, right?

JBacon
01-18-2009, 12:25 PM
I've never heard of putting it in that hole and the res. Just the resev.

mxpimp2000
01-18-2009, 12:30 PM
well it worked for me and runs fine, they put that plug in the motor for something it serves some kind of purpose and oil goes in the motor either way u do it so either way works and thats how you do it for the yfz so it sure wont hurt it

birdman652001
01-18-2009, 04:10 PM
well it worked for me and runs fine, they put that plug in the motor for something it serves some kind of purpose and oil goes in the motor either way u do it so either way works and thats how you do it for the yfz so it sure wont hurt it

maybe its there so you can see your engine parts so you dont have to tear it apart to see whats in it. but if it works for you.. kudos to you.

gsxrkneedragger
01-18-2009, 06:10 PM
i have an 03 z400 and when i take that screw out, all i see is a round disc thing that has a T on it which allows me to set the motor at toc. there doesn't seem like there is much room to see anything other than that.

mxpimp2000
01-18-2009, 06:13 PM
not on the side case, its on the top of the case beside the cylinder head the main cases not the stator cover plugs

gsxrkneedragger
01-18-2009, 06:19 PM
oh. thanks. and to think, i'm rebuilding my own top end. this aughta be interesting. lol:chinese:

mxpimp2000
01-18-2009, 06:26 PM
lol get u a manual or atleast i would itd help you out

JBacon
01-18-2009, 06:41 PM
I've always wondered what that screw was on the side of the block. lol

gsxrkneedragger
01-18-2009, 07:01 PM
i got a manual. thats how i got it apart. i just hope it goes back together just as easy. haha