PDA

View Full Version : Brake lines

440challenger
01-20-2008, 06:22 AM
Having a problem with the front brakes on the 400.
Wanted to see if it was common with the honda factory lines.
Running the factory lever, rebuilt master,rebuilt calipers, everything is bled.

The lever feel isnt bad but if you pull it in hard it will compress and feel a bit spongy. The only thing is left is the brake lines. Im thinking the lines are expanding. Anyone else have this problem?
Thinking of going with some galfer SS lines .

Now with my 06 400, the lever feel is excellent,but i dont stop worth of crap. I have cheapo tusk pads up from im thinking that could be why? The 450 shocks up front are quite stiff,couldnt this also be a reason why i cant endo if i tried ?

Most bone stock 400's i ride the front brakes are mint and could send you over the bars on the street in a jiffy...I use my front brakes 70% of the time i ride so im thinking the stock rubber lines are probably shot but give me your guys opinions on it. Thanks-

NJ450rider
01-20-2008, 07:51 AM
My front brakes on my 400ex are spongy as well. One of these days ill throw on my stainless lines.

drew416ex
01-20-2008, 10:29 AM
Im sure over time the lines have stretched a little. Even when mine was new they were kinda spongy. The stainless braided lines do make a world of difference.

TRXRacer1
01-20-2008, 11:23 AM
Mine have felt a little spongy ever since they were brand new. No matter how well they're bled they won't feel "great". They just have crappy stock lines. Steel braided are in the near future for me!

hornetgod13
01-20-2008, 12:15 PM
It's the stock lines for sure. I just switched my front lines with some steel braided lines and there is a Night and Day difference. There is less brake lever travel and the response is almost instantanious. It feels like all the input from the lever is being transferred to the brakes unlike the spongey feel of the stock lines.