PDA

View Full Version : KFX90 Questions

BamBam730
01-18-2008, 10:06 AM
My son has a 2007 KFX90 and he loves it. My question is how much top speed does the machine gain when you have the speed reduction collar removed from the transmission? The dealer told me the top speed difference is quite significant. I would also like to know where I could buy a front bumper for this machine? Not many places carry aftermarket parts for this machine. Any help would greatly appreciated.

LT80
01-20-2008, 08:52 AM
Most mini's run out about 25-35 mph.

Don't know about the bumper.
Maybe ask in the Kymco section.

ww228king
01-20-2008, 08:57 AM
yep.....

you need to look for bumpers for the Kymco Mongoose 50/90

BamBam730
01-20-2008, 09:05 AM
LT80, when you say most minis run out at 25-to-30. I should have calrrified and said will the increase in speed overwhelm my son when the speed reduction collar is taken out?
I will check the kymcon section for bumpers.

LT80
01-20-2008, 09:21 AM
I don't know the age/expierience of your rider but I'd think your rider can handle it.
Do the parent thing, turn the limiting screw in on the throttle and see how he/she does. :)

cosinostra
01-20-2008, 11:06 PM
I just took the collar out of my sons KFX50 and he is doing just fine with it .. It's of course not as fast as the 90.... I just remind him that he cant go over everything wide open, slow down for the turns and he is doing fine with it...

I'm really looking to make it faster because it still is very slow.... He'll be seven in a couple more months ,, has only been riding for a year..

BamBam730
01-21-2008, 05:59 AM
Cosinostra, was a significant change in top end?

BamBam730
01-21-2008, 06:03 AM
Cosinostra, Was there a significant increase in top end?

ww228king
01-21-2008, 06:08 AM
my son was 4 when his was totally unrestricted, and had been riding a $500 knock off 70 4 stroke unstricted at 3....his mongoose 50 is a 2 stroke and he is now 5 years old with a 70cc kit with more goodies and can handle it fine....they know when too much gas is too much....

ww228king
01-21-2008, 06:34 AM
one good thing about the 4 strokes is that they have a motor break....sorta....lol.. when you let off the gas with a 4 stroke, they will automatically start to slow down...with a 2 stroke, it has no valves to push pressure back on the piston and it will just free wheel and you have to use the brakes more....

i would say, if you take the chance and unrestrict it, the kid will only take about 1 good day and they will have it ....my son was 3 and he was riding for about 2 weekends before i took the screw all the way out on his $500 knock off BTM 70cc...it was really really skinny and a flip hazard from the beginning, but he handled it great....then when he got the mongoose 50...it was alot wider so he really took it great...i had to take out all the restrictions because it was alot slower than the knock off...and the handling was 100% better....he was flying and could sling it in the turns....its better to have the extra power in the turns....kinda helps with it not fliping...the rearend just slings around when they mat it....

to tell you the truth....i found all this out by accident..lol

me and my brother was playing with my son's old knock off one day and took the screw all the way out....and i forgot to put it back in,
then my son hopped on it and was doing good, but i noticed that he was getting faster in the straight aways.....(holly cow, I forgot to put the screw back in)....well, i watched him for about 10 mins, and he was doing great, so I tossed the screw and learned my lesson...give them all from the get go...they will adapt great...thier little minds are like a sponge...

cosinostra
01-24-2008, 09:43 PM
Originally posted by BamBam730
Cosinostra, was a significant change in top end?

It is faster from low to top end. It's not a huge difference but it is much more fun to ride now... I did notice that when you let off the gas now, it does not stop as quick as it used to ... Brakes get a lot more use now..

I took my son out last weekend and he had it pegged the whole time.. He can pretty much turn at full throttle and not flip.. The 50 is very stable.. He can also keep up a little better now too... A couple of times he pulled right next to me while we we're cruising down some straight aways...

When we first got this thing I rode on the back with him untill he got the hang of it.. Now I just coach him a little on more riding techniques and he picks it up on his own.. As long as you're watching them and make them follow your rules you shouldn't have any problems..

BamBam730
01-24-2008, 11:01 PM
Thank Cosinostra

rhinorick
01-26-2008, 12:07 PM
Originally posted by cosinostra
I just took the collar out of my sons KFX50 and he is doing just fine with it .. It's of course not as fast as the 90.... I just remind him that he cant go over everything wide open, slow down for the turns and he is doing fine with it...

I'm really looking to make it faster because it still is very slow.... He'll be seven in a couple more months ,, has only been riding for a year..

the first quad I got for my kid was a lt50 I think its the same thing as the kfx50 . it was the 2 stroke. one of the local shops shaved the head and made the opening bigger were the air comes in for the filter and changed the jet. it made a big dif. it still wasnt fast but I thought it was safer she was able to make it up small hills. didnt change top speed at all but before if she tried to go up a very small hill it wouldnt make it before the work could have rolled down backwards. it cost me 150 but well worth it

shoey
03-16-2008, 11:25 PM
I have heard about the speed reduction collar but dont know how to remove it, can any body tell me how onthe kawasaki 90?