PDA

View Full Version : Hiccup??

TimelessR1
01-18-2008, 08:20 AM
Hey guys...I'm pretty new here, but have been riding quads for a while. I just picked up a 2000 400ex recently as my second quad for either the wife to ride, or other family memeber who want to go riding. Since my other quad is FI, im not sur eif the problem i'm encountering is carb related or not.

I'm having a hard time keeping it ideliing when i'm warming it up. I start with the choke fully on, and it starts first try. But then it runs for like 25 seocnds, and dies out. It will keep doing this the whole time while warming up and with the choke off. So now after i Take her for a run (10mins) and she's all warmed up, when i let her idle then its almost like a hiccup every so often. Its like a lull in the RPM's every 15 seconds or so.

Any ideas??

Thanks

X400EX
01-18-2008, 09:16 AM
Have you verified the plug? Cleaned your carb?

Colby@C&DRacing
01-18-2008, 09:34 AM
That is a lean hiccup we see it in dirty carbs that have a restricted pilot or idle curcuit. Try cleaning the carb. I would also recommend increasing the size of the pilot jet even if the atv is stock it helps cold starting

TimelessR1
01-18-2008, 09:42 AM
Aweseom...thanks for the fast replies! Thats what I'll do, I guess i just need to give the quad a full tune up then...spark plug, oil, clean the carb and jets!

Exrider434
01-18-2008, 10:21 AM
I had the same problem.....i cleaned my carb up real good and it was all set.:macho

NacsMXer
01-18-2008, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by TimelessR1
Aweseom...thanks for the fast replies! Thats what I'll do, I guess i just need to give the quad a full tune up then...spark plug, oil, clean the carb and jets!

Put a #42 pilot jet in it while you're at it, you'll be glad you did! ;) Helps with cold starting like Colby said above.