PDA

View Full Version : 700R vs. 450YFZ

dono nateeng
01-17-2008, 08:54 PM
Going to buy a Yamaha next month. What are pros/cons for both bikes? Thanks

TheNewn
01-17-2008, 09:10 PM
Well they were built for 2 different things.

If you ride a lot of MX, get the YFZ.

If you ride a lot of everything else, get the Raptor.

The YFZ is obviously lighter, and faster around a track because that's what its built for. And it can be put in all the 450 classes in racing.

The Raptor is a much larger motor obviously, has a lot more torque and a lot more potential for power. It also has EFI. Which is really nice unless a sensor goes out...The Suspension now is just as good on the Raptors as it is on the YFZ. Both have high and low speed compression adjustments and rebound.

I'd say unless you're Racing MX. Get the raptor. its the PERFECT all around quad.

dono nateeng
01-19-2008, 11:58 AM
Thanks buddy, just the answer I looking for. I am going with the raptor then. I will definitely not be doing any racing but want an overall great machine!

TheNewn
01-19-2008, 12:46 PM
My dad has a Raptor and its one of the best quads made in my opinion. I'm sure you'll be happy with it.

But like i say to everyone, do your research. Learn as much about it as you can before you make your purchase. Because that's a lot of money.

dono nateeng
01-19-2008, 01:24 PM
I've been doing a lot of research. Was going to go with the new Polaris Outlaw 525 IRS.

jasons6217
01-22-2008, 05:11 PM
I have both. Raptor is possibly the best trail quad on the market. I destroyed it racing the mountain ridge and powerline park gncc. Yfz is a definate if u wanna race
06 Raptor 700 hmf exhaust dg bumper nerfs and skid plates holeshot tires power commander
07 yfz 450 hmf exhaust work in progress

brian355ny
01-25-2008, 12:41 AM
dono ateeng are you going to go with 525 or raptor, i will be getting a new quad at the end of feb. i think i'm getting the 525, but the raptor is so sweet, i found a 08se for 6600 i'm not sure exactly out the door but it retails for almost 8g and the cheapiest 525irs i seen was 6800, on the outlaw forum they say the 525irs would be a better xcracer, and i need reverse so yfz is out, raptor guys tell me what you think about 700r se for a first time woods racer,i'm 5'9" 150lbs, one main reason i was leaning towards 525irs is because i live in northern west vir. the trails are very rough with some hellacious hillclimbs with ruts,roots and rocks, and did i mention they're steep as hell, guys please help me make right choice 525 or 700se thanks Brian

Vade
01-25-2008, 02:33 PM
you'll be a better rider if you get a yfz imho the raptors are 2 heavy and tall performance wise there neck and neck

TheNewn
01-25-2008, 07:52 PM
YFZ's are easier to ride being that they are lower to the ground? Meaning it would be easier to make the same lap times as on a 700 Raptor assuming everything else was the same? So you'd have to be better on the Raptor 700 to get the same time, meaning the Raptor would make you the better RIDER.

cjkranz
01-26-2008, 03:09 PM
I would suggest riding (or at least sitting on both of them) before you buy. My YFZ will kill my back after about 15-20 minutes but my Raptor 700 I can ride all day with no issues.. Does one physically fit you better?

Vade
01-27-2008, 01:25 AM
Originally posted by TheNewn
YFZ's are easier to ride being that they are lower to the ground? Meaning it would be easier to make the same lap times as on a 700 Raptor assuming everything else was the same? So you'd have to be better on the Raptor 700 to get the same time, meaning the Raptor would make you the better RIDER.

basically the same machine? you can push a yfz the 700 wont be as pushy try hopping on a yfz and then hoping on a 700 i can guarantee your lap times wont be the same

dscb_81
01-27-2008, 09:17 PM
last summer one of the popular atv magazines did a shootout between these two. The raptor had a faster lap time than the yfz. I wish i could remember what mag it was in.

thugcat32
01-28-2008, 12:36 PM
are the raptors pretty reliable as far as not breaking down alot

250r4life
01-29-2008, 09:28 AM
Originally posted by dscb_81
last summer one of the popular atv magazines did a shootout between these two. The raptor had a faster lap time than the yfz. I wish i could remember what mag it was in.

:huh

yep folks another soul who believes everything he reads...

by the way, i have some ocean front property by my house i would like to sell... you interested?

ps- im assuming you meant to write trail as opposed to trial...

TheNewn
01-29-2008, 11:04 AM
Originally posted by thugcat32
are the raptors pretty reliable as far as not breaking down alot

I would say, in gerneral, the Raptor's motor would be more reliable than the YFZ. The YFZ is a pretty high comp strung out race bike by design, the Raptor was designed more as a Trail quad. Aside from potential EFI sensor problems (my dad had one or two since he's owned it, but most dont), the Raptor should be more reliable and last longer between needing any rebuilds or special attention.