PDA

View Full Version : Exhaust Help

gould514
01-17-2008, 07:58 PM
(2007 400ex) Im looking at the hmf pro sport Slip on would like some feedback and mods for it. If you have other pipes for suggestions feel free want to get something descent.Thanks

maxfior
01-17-2008, 08:16 PM
I'll let you know how I like my HMF once I get my jetting correct (and a new spark plug ;) ) So far, the sound is really awesome, great thump to it, but it's wicked loud. I just ordered the quiet core for it, so when I trail ride people won't look at me like I'm a jerk-off... :)

Max

gould514
01-17-2008, 08:23 PM
is it loud to the point where its annoying or can you deal with it? i had a pro circuit t4 on my 99 warrior and it was nasty loud but i loved it

twain68
01-18-2008, 05:16 AM
maxfior, yes.........let us know. I have been looking on ebay at the full exhaust for like $447 or something like that, but I'd like to hear your in put before I buy it. Check out this website for a killer air box, to go with that slip on.

T.C.

maxfior
01-18-2008, 06:10 AM
Originally posted by gould514
is it loud to the point where its annoying or can you deal with it? i had a pro circuit t4 on my 99 warrior and it was nasty loud but i loved it

It's not too terrible, I was just testing out my initial jet with out a helmet, and it was pretty loud, I'm sure if I had my brain bucket on it would be better. The sound is good, good thump to it, nice tone, just loud. You have to keep in mind that I'm use to the little putt-putt tones of the stock system, which is nice if you don't want to make your neighbors want to kill you. Having said that, when I get it dialed in and have a little bit more time, I'll make a video of roll on and low speed, high speed, etc riding with this pipe so you guys can get an idea of the sound. I'll also have the camera shoot from far away to see how the sound travels, it'll be hard to tell on a video, but I'll do my best and I think that people on this forum will like to see it. I also ordered the quiet core, so I'll test that too. I just figured that what I paid for it used was better then new and that it would be worth a try for better sound and more performance gain, I'll tell you one thing, the stock pipe is VERY heavy compared to the HMF. The HMF also bolted up with no issues. I'll try and keep you guys posted! Thanks!

Max

maxfior
01-18-2008, 06:12 AM
Originally posted by twain68
maxfior, yes.........let us know. I have been looking on ebay at the full exhaust for like $447 or something like that, but I'd like to hear your in put before I buy it. Check out this website for a killer air box, to go with that slip on.

T.C.

I'll keep you posted man, btw, where is that site you are talking about?

Max

440challenger
01-18-2008, 06:29 AM
The HMF slip on ,with an open air box and with a dyno jet kit is one of the best bangs for the buck you can do to a 400ex. I've done the same exact setup to 4 customers 400's in the past 2 months . They are thrilled when they get it back. Its night and day. Big SOTP difference

I used to have the PC T4 a while ago on an old warrior. The HMF is no where near as tinny sounding but it is loud. They make a quiet core if you find its too loud.

gould514
01-18-2008, 09:27 AM
Sounds good i will hopefully get the pipe ordered today. What about air filters and jet kits.what sizes etc?

maxfior
01-18-2008, 11:01 AM
Originally posted by gould514
Sounds good i will hopefully get the pipe ordered today. What about air filters and jet kits.what sizes etc?

I use UNI and Twin Air for filters, K&N is good too. Jets to start with would be #40 or #42 pilot and #155, #158, #160 main jets. I'm going to run a #42 and a #155 main in mine, I'll let you know.

Max

maxfior
01-18-2008, 03:33 PM
After a new plug since my old one was cracked and proper jetting (at least for now) with a #40 pilot and a #155 main this setup runs VERY good. I would reccomend the HMF pipe but it's pretty loud. Neighbors might want to kill you. I also ordered the quiet core insert and I'll let you know how that works later on.

Max