PDA

View Full Version : Air box plug? Any other MFG. then Nac's?

maxfior
01-17-2008, 05:57 PM
I would really like to get the Nac's air box snorkle plug, but they are sold out, does any one else make one? Or should I just try and make something my self? I figured for $10 bones or whatever it was... pretty cheap little mod to get rid of the snorkle... Any thoughts? Thanks.

Max

Nac's Plug (http://www.nacsracing.com/htmlcatalog/nacs-air-box-plug.htm)

CSR400EX
01-17-2008, 06:17 PM
use the top of a paint can or any aerosol can. thats what i did on my old 400. worked great

hornetgod13
01-17-2008, 07:39 PM
NAC's is the only website I know that makes an airbox snorkel plug. I have one on my quad but, I've seen and heard of others using the tops off spray paint cans. You can pick what ever color matches your quad.

maxfior
01-17-2008, 08:14 PM
Heh... Looks like I might have to bust out a paint lid like you guys stated... Or, it might be a good project for my dad'a milling machine... We'll have to see... Thanks again guys!

Max

440challenger
01-18-2008, 06:25 AM
i used a paint can lid that had a little more bracing inside it.
It was one off one of those textured spray paints. that way when i tightened the clamp it didnt colapse

maxfior
01-18-2008, 06:50 AM
Originally posted by 440challenger
i used a paint can lid that had a little more bracing inside it.
It was one off one of those textured spray paints. that way when i tightened the clamp it didnt colapse

Thanks for the tip, I'll have to look around my shop, I'm sure I can find something...

Max

BigRed44
01-18-2008, 07:06 AM
I know i have read this on here before but have forgotten now. I was wondering what the purpose of removing the snorkel was and if you get any gains out of it or just make for ease of maintenance.

Thanks

Brian

gcart2
01-18-2008, 07:18 AM
use a paint lid stick it through then put a zip tye around the sides of the lid sticking out of the box and on the inside. Doing so will keep the lid from going n e where (this is added safety, they generally stay there n e ways.)

hornetgod13
01-18-2008, 08:24 AM
Originally posted by BigRed44
I know i have read this on here before but have forgotten now. I was wondering what the purpose of removing the snorkel was and if you get any gains out of it or just make for ease of maintenance.

Thanks

Brian

If you run a custom airbox lid or with out one completely the snorkel is worthless to you. I removed mine for ease of maintenance and reduction of weight.

CarGuy7a
01-18-2008, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by maxfior
Heh... Looks like I might have to bust out a paint lid like you guys stated... Or, it might be a good project for my dad'a milling machine... We'll have to see... Thanks again guys!

Max

yeah my dad made me one on a lathe out of plastic round stock. it's very nice. and bright green lol. i don't care though you really can't see it.

tar
01-20-2008, 10:43 AM
I just went and got a plastic coffee lid out of the barn and hot glued it on there. Works like a charm

BluBeaSSt
01-20-2008, 11:49 AM
How much was that plug!?

hornetgod13
01-20-2008, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by R_Hoaglin2
How much was that plug!?

Eight or nine dollars. It's made of aluminum and powder coated black with the NAC's Racing logo is etched in.

glamiskid395
01-21-2008, 09:48 AM
another idea is to go to the hardware store and get a PVC pipe plug and stick it in the hole. paint it whatever color you would like.
cost me about $1 or $2

mcwilly
03-18-2008, 11:25 AM
Originally posted by hornetgod13
If you run a custom airbox lid or with out one completely the snorkel is worthless to you. I removed mine for ease of maintenance and reduction of weight.

I was debating whether or not to plug mine after putting on the Outerwears lid. Having the snorkel in place and not plugging the hole, arent you allowing more air into the airbox that way? Seems if you plug it, you're losing air intake.
Right? :confused:

Phillburt57
03-18-2008, 11:32 AM
Originally posted by mcwilly
I was debating whether or not to plug mine after putting on the Outerwears lid. Having the snorkel in place and not plugging the hole, arent you allowing more air into the airbox that way? Seems if you plug it, you're losing air intake.

Well for me I had to remove my snorkel because of my rear 450r shock and the hole points dirrectly at the motor and side of the rezzie on the shock so I wouldn't think you would be losing much as far the intake is concerned. I just hate the idea of a hole so low to the ground being wide open to a bunch of stuff.

maxfior
03-18-2008, 11:33 AM
Originally posted by mcwilly

Yeah, but with the pre-filter lid in place most of the air is coming in from that, not the snorkle, plus, the snokle is close to the engine... and that air is warmer, so it would be better to get the cooler air from the box. I'll have to try the PVC cap idea, paint it red or black, good to go! Thanks!

Max

Rip_Tear
03-18-2008, 12:48 PM
I'll tell you what fits perfectly, a grease cap lid. You know those tubes of grease you put in a grease gun, the black (or whatever) end cap fits perfectly in my 250R, and I'm pretty sure that the 400ex snorkel is the same diameter.

03-18-2008, 02:08 PM
I'll be making plastic machined ones soon. I was even thinking of letting someone cutomize it with words or their name or race number for a bit extra.

maxfior
03-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by Rip_Tear
I'll tell you what fits perfectly, a grease cap lid. You know those tubes of grease you put in a grease gun, the black (or whatever) end cap fits perfectly in my 250R, and I'm pretty sure that the 400ex snorkel is the same diameter.

Hmmm, pretty interesting... I got plenty of greese tubes laying around, the front end loader on my New Holland uses one tube alone on a greese job. :)

Max

maxfior
03-18-2008, 02:15 PM
Originally posted by FoxHondaRider
I'll be making plastic machined ones soon. I was even thinking of letting someone cutomize it with words or their name or race number for a bit extra.

I'd be interested to see how things turn out. I bet you could make some $'s if enough people would want them. I think you could sell 'em!

Max