PDA

View Full Version : conversion or big bore??

quad_crazed
01-17-2008, 03:15 PM
ok i have a 03 300ex w/ a hmf slip on and its jetted

i like the size of the bike but am getting too comfortable w/ the stock motor and like anyother gearhead i want to go faster quicker. what should i do?

ive seen the 350x conversion and some big bore kits. just looking to see which route is more sensable for me to go down.

and any other mods that are common and known to work well are highly appreciated

thanks
John

JIMFROMTEXCO
01-18-2008, 03:20 PM
well i have a 350x/250x. i like it but i have had somany problems with it. i bought a complete trike for 500. the engine had bad cam journals. so i spent 150 more on a head, guess what? bad cam journals. if you decide to do the swap spend the money and buy a crate motor. i know have mine tore down cases split going over every little thing. im boring it 3mm over and looking for a good head. there is no cam bearings like the 300ex 250x engine.

a big bore 300ex motor runs great. if you dont want to spend a ton. just buy a cam/piston/carb/and exhaust if you dont allready have one. the 300's respond very well to mods.

quad_crazed
01-19-2008, 08:45 AM
where is a good place to get a 350x crate motor?? and how much do they ucually run in price??

2muchquad
01-23-2008, 04:17 PM
or buy a new head on eturd.I too have bought a suspect head before jim,not fun.I heard they can be machined for needle bearings but the machine work is expensive,would be nice though.

JIMFROMTEXCO
01-24-2008, 09:13 AM
haha toomuch i figured out how to fix it.. lol i took out a loan for 3 grand and am going to purchase a nicely set up 250r.

2muchquad
01-24-2008, 05:46 PM
given up on the 350x heh..You should buy a 300ex motor and build it.A 300 is plenty fast for woods racing,plus parts are cheaper and easier to come by.

JIMFROMTEXCO
01-24-2008, 07:47 PM
no im not giving up on the 350x i just got a new oil pump, timing chain, timing chain guides, tensioner, piston, and im looking for a head. maybe your cam if you will budge ;) .

i finally threw my leg over an r when we got hit with that warm streek for two days and dont no how ive went with out one. it just feels so light and flick-able. plus i found one for what i think is a steal. when the guy sends me pics and full mod list and extras i will forward to you and see what you think.

so far i know it has new works tripple rates, re-worked rear set up for my weight. 4 hours on motor new oem crank.

2muchquad
01-24-2008, 08:45 PM
lmk check that out if he sends you pics.i may dump mthat cam but remember i just screwed mine up recently,i do have a stock cam that i may run instead ...once i get a head that isnt already junk:(

bwamos
01-25-2008, 05:40 AM
Originally posted by quad_crazed
ok i have a 03 300ex w/ a hmf slip on and its jetted

i like the size of the bike but am getting too comfortable w/ the stock motor and like anyother gearhead i want to go faster quicker. what should i do?

ive seen the 350x conversion and some big bore kits. just looking to see which route is more sensable for me to go down.

and any other mods that are common and known to work well are highly appreciated

thanks
John

I agree with Jim. If you want to keep it cheap.. get:
Stock Bore 11:1 piston.
Cam
Headpipe (WB Pipe is a good option). The HMF slipon will work with it.
400ex Carb
Send CDI off to get the rev limit increased.

That will get you a pretty cheap quality increase in power. To boot, almost everything is reusable if you decide to go all out with a big-bore/stroker setup.

quad_crazed
01-27-2008, 08:20 AM
wheres a good place to get my rev limiter increased??

quad_crazed
01-27-2008, 08:59 AM
is there any website that would be one stop shopping for that stuff?

JIMFROMTEXCO
01-28-2008, 07:58 AM
to be honest with you i use ebay and buy new parts. but for exhaust you could buy a used header. and a used 400 carb. but for piston and other engine parts id buy new.