PDA

View Full Version : Couple power questions (mainly cams)

NoFrillz
11-13-2002, 10:11 PM
Ok I've got a question, I'm looking into purchasing a cam but I've kinda got a couple of questions First, my quad as is with the Bills pipe and stuff is pretty torquey I mean more than my bros (Duncan racing double Barrel) if that means anything when deciding cam. I ride track (not a racer) and lots of fast trail and sand riding. So I was wondering which type of cam would be best suited to my riding needs. Also do you have to put in a high comp. piston when you put in an aftermarket cam, and do most cams come in a package with hardened rockers and stuff, or do i have to purchase that separately. I run Premium pump gas and don't plan on goin to av. or alky. I'm just looking for a cam and stuff to gimme the most bang to keep up with my other bro's Z-400..........if thats possible hehe. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks
Layne

NoFrillz
11-14-2002, 06:34 PM
up plz

nakomis0
11-14-2002, 06:41 PM
You have to purchase rockers seperatly, that will cost under $250.

As far as which cam you wanna get, might depend on if you are going to get the rockers hardened, if you do get them hardened I would go with a Web 479 or 451? grind.

As far as drop in cams where you don't need the rockers hardened, I really don't know whats good. I hear people talk about the Hotcam2, but like I said I don't know.

ill_lil_romey
11-14-2002, 06:43 PM
I would recommend a white bros. or ct racing midrange cam on a slightly modified motor. Iv'e also heard that the xr 400 cam works well. Considering the exact specs you are looking for, the options are vast.

yamasaki_125
11-14-2002, 06:48 PM
i have the hrc cam and it is absolutely awesome! i also have an 11.1 high comp. piston and wow, what a difference. it pulls so much harder its not funny. and it is a drop in cam so you dont need to get the rockers hardened

NoFrillz
11-14-2002, 07:12 PM
Thanks guys, I've decided to get a drop in cam, to save me the money of buying hardened rockers and stuff, then further down the road I'll get a high comp. piston. so now I just have to decide whats the best midrange cam for my buck. thanks, any other info is greatly appreciated
Layne

yellowrider
11-14-2002, 07:22 PM
i dont know much about fourstroke motors but ... i think you should wait and get all of your money together and do it all at one time.. cause motors that you take apart and build back up and take apart arent as reliable as one time build up in my eyes...

that is why it is taking me so long to get my 416

my truck ran in some more small promblems that just got annoying and we had to replace so now i am broke again and have a 108 dollars in my name....

here is what i would do if i were you...

11:1 piston
Cam of your choice
406 or 416
and polish your head
and do anything possible to keep your motor running cooler..
bigger oil tank, oil cooler , ect

one of my friends that i go riding with now has a 416 half gas half race gas i think..... double barral dmc or allien..... cdi box (which he thinks does soemthing i told hiim to get rid of it...) anywyas his fourwheeler hauls *** and runs between 200-250 degrees i believe dont hold me to it...

9300EX
11-14-2002, 07:33 PM
I think you might be interested in a XR400 cam its also a drop in and if you ever ridden a xr400 you would be holding on tight when you crack the throttle

NoFrillz
11-14-2002, 07:37 PM
hmm good info.. can I run the cam without the high comp piston? if so I might just drop in the cam and leave it at that. and I understand the taking it apart and putting together deal so If I just dropped the cam in it, that'd be fine with me. I think that may be as far as I take it too, because I still want to try and keep the quad as reliable as I can. and I think with the cam it'll have all the power I need. Thanks lots though keep them cam suggestions coming
Layne

ill_lil_romey
11-14-2002, 07:45 PM
I've heard things about the hrc cam, and if what they say is true than that would be a good choice for you also. It drops right in and you won't have to harden the rockers, if I were you I would go with a higher compression piston at this time too. The power gains you will see will blow your mind considering that these are all bolt on mods. A better breathing airbox and taking off the choke will also produce massive power over stock to go along with these mods. And they won't have your pockets inside out either. A higher compression piston should not create a reliabilty problem.

NoFrillz
11-15-2002, 10:27 PM
Thanks romey, I think I'll put that info to good use. I guess I'll have to save for a while more for that high comp. piston too I guess :D

Steven
11-16-2002, 10:11 PM
As you increase valve duration via a hotter cam, you lose cylinder pressure and precious tq. This is why it is important to up the compression when adding a hotter cam and why a cam/piston combo yield more gains than just one or the other.

I think the White Brothers all around cam might me the best choice if you aren't going to up the compression.

Steve

87Warrior
11-17-2002, 08:41 AM
Originally posted by Steven
As you increase valve duration via a hotter cam, you lose cylinder pressure and precious tq. This is why it is important to up the compression when adding a hotter cam and why a cam/piston combo yield more gains than just one or the other.

I think the White Brothers all around cam might me the best choice if you aren't going to up the compression.

Steve

what if you are going up on the compression? then what

bmw500hp
11-17-2002, 10:12 AM
NoFrilz.......

In the words of Lazarus Sommers (Gt-Thunder) during a recent conversation,
"the dyno does not lie" !!!!!!!!

If want to refer your question to his dyno runs, the The link below will take you to his site.

One of these runs shows the performance of a basic cammed 400ex.vs stock. In another,

the dyno shows the performance curve of a drop in cammed ex with 11:1 and a pipe.

http://www.geocities.com/gtthunder.geo/400ex.html

Considerable differences!!! Compression to the cam is like honey to the bee.....

So far, Yamaski's set up with the hrc cam /416-is [my] choice for winter mods...but thats

just me....Why...The HRC is a drop in cam. It's a Honda cam that Honda has employed the

HRC with no valvetrain mods not only in the 400 ex but in theXR400's through the 650's.

There is plenty of actual run time and substantiated evidence of performance and engine

longevity.......In addition, The stock 400ex valvetrain ( according to "Powerall") accepts the

416's cubic needs quite efficiently.

[My] only other options would probably be an actual engine builders cam. A CT-MX cam or a

actual GT cam from Lazarus Sommers...

I do have a question....Does ANYONE have the actual Honda part # for an HRC

cam???????????????????????????????????????? please help!!!!!!!

11-17-2002, 10:24 AM
i heard hotcam 2 and tc racing are good drop in cams, thts what im trying to decide on

bmw500hp
11-17-2002, 10:37 AM
Copied the following of a post on EXRIDERS...can't remember who posted...shows how close cams are.....Alot of the final perfomance may come from your builders familiarity with the cam and your other engine components.....

400EX CAMS
BRAND & MODEL IN.LIFT EX.LIFT IN@.050” EX@.050” NOTES
STOCK 400EX .316 .302 234 238 OEM

XR400 .326 .321 240 244 BIKE SR
--------------------------------------------------
WB ALL AROUND .345 .335 240 248 SR
HOT CAMS STAGE 1 .354 .354 244 244 SR
WEB CAMS 479 .378 .378 250 250 HR,VS,VG
HOT CAMS STAGE 2 .346 .346 254 254 SR
HRC .350 .339 254 256 HOP-UP
GT THUNDER* .350 .345 256 256 SR
WB TRACK* .350 .345 256 256 SR
WEB 450/451* .350 .345 256 256 HR
WEB CAMS463/9i .385 .370 272 270 HR,VS,VG

(In order from shortest duration to longest)
SR=Stock Rockers, Valve Springs & Guides OK
HR=Hard Faced Rockers Recommended
VS=Stiffer Valve Springs Required
VG=Shortened Valve Guides Required
*SAME GRIND

NoFrillz
11-17-2002, 09:47 PM
Thanks guys for all the info. lots of usefull stuff in this post

YZROOSTINYA
11-18-2002, 06:35 AM
stage one hotcam is all around, stage 2 is mid to top, i have the 2. like alot. suggest the stage 1 for your needs