PDA

View Full Version : Front Brake Lines- Fastest Tear Down ?'s

atvhonda-rider
01-17-2008, 11:46 AM
Hey guys, im tearing my '01 400ex down to rebuild and powdercoat and make my dream. Currently i have it down to the main frame with the front end attached, im ready to detach the front end but im not sure what the fastest way would be to detach my brake lines. The 400ex has the brake rezzy on the handlebars going to a connecting screw in then passes by the oil rezzy to a T-mount behind the steering stem... It then T's off to each front brake caliper... Any suggestions on where to disconnect? Anyway i can disconnect without losing fluid? Thanks for any info!

WB450r
01-17-2008, 03:08 PM
Originally posted by atvhonda-rider
Hey guys, im tearing my '01 400ex down to rebuild and powdercoat and make my dream. Currently i have it down to the main frame with the front end attached, im ready to detach the front end but im not sure what the fastest way would be to detach my brake lines. The 400ex has the brake rezzy on the handlebars going to a connecting screw in then passes by the oil rezzy to a T-mount behind the steering stem... It then T's off to each front brake caliper... Any suggestions on where to disconnect? Anyway i can disconnect without losing fluid? Thanks for any info!

i have a 450r and jus took off my stock brakelines the other day..i first took the screw out of both calipers and let the fluid drain into two cups.....then i jus disconnected it from behind the steering stem of where it t's off....then jus dragged the top portion of the brakeline thru....
but im not sure about saving the fluid cuz i didnt do it...
maybe sumbody else will chime in on this....

atvhonda-rider
01-17-2008, 07:05 PM
this sounds like a dumb question cuz i've nevr looked into it but what brake fluid do they take? anything special or just somethin i can grab at an auto store. thanks for input

JOEX
01-17-2008, 08:14 PM
DOT 4 brake fluid.

Do NOT use DOT 5

WB450r
01-17-2008, 08:46 PM
i use DOT 4 synthetic brake fluid

400sEXridr
01-17-2008, 08:51 PM
when i did mine recently, i detached the brake line at one caliper, took the lever/reservoir off the handlebars, took the bolt out of the little t fitting on the frame, and left it attached at the other wheel. I then pulled the whole assembly off with the one wheel

atvhonda-rider
01-19-2008, 09:59 AM
alright thanks guys for the info, sounds great, thanks again!

440challenger
01-20-2008, 06:27 AM
dont detach any brake lines............
pull the stem out or loosen it up and unbolt the calipers and the two bolts holding the lines to the a arms and the two bolts that hold the junction block to the frame and pull the whole assembly up and out without ever crackign a line. thats the easiest and cleanest way to do it.