PDA

View Full Version : canam or 450er

atv69rider
01-17-2008, 08:54 AM
I barely ever post but I'm on here everyday. I have a 440ex with just about everything done to it. I love my quad and I'm gonna keep it, can't get enough out of it either. I am looking between the new can am 450 or a 06-08 honda 450er.

Reasons for canam: new, great reviews, no one has one around here, stylish when fixed up, one of the faster ones.
Against: new, 7575 otd, like to see how they hold up

Reasons for honda 450: 4300 on ebay or 6000 new otd, lots of parts, white looks awesome
Against: half the people i ride with have them, not as fast as the canam

I do a lil mx, lot of fast dirt road riding, big sand hill climbs, and i like to do tricks aka wheelies, stoppies. I love to drag race too, probaly do it more if I could win more.

Both fourwheelers would get exhaust, intake, and a programmer/jetted right when i got it.

These are the only two fourwheelers that are options because everything else has been ruled out for one thing or another. I know this is a Honda forum and I know I like Honda but I am just asking for some honest opinions.

Thanks

f150mann
01-17-2008, 09:07 AM
im a honda fan, but to be honest, id go ktm. the new ktm quads are perfect, after that id probably look to can-am and 450r liek you are.. i think can am is the better quad, but like i say..i love honda

klutch
01-17-2008, 09:25 AM
I am also truly a honda man... my next bike will be a 450r no doubt. but the better bike id say is the can am... though you should look into KTM those 425 and 525 xc bikes are sick man..
But like i said i love honda and i'd still most likely go with the 450r... but for you look into them KTMs they rock

atv69rider
01-17-2008, 09:29 AM
Well the reason I ruled the ktm out is the high price and there is no dealer within 4 hours of me.

f150mann
01-17-2008, 09:47 AM
how far is the dealer? to be honest i beleive they are worth the drive and price. them come with awesome suspension right out of the box. and ive heard them going for 8000. cant be too far off of a 450 or can am price

08400EX
01-17-2008, 09:57 AM
Originally posted by atv69rider
I know this is a Honda forum and I know I like Honda but I am just asking for some honest opinions.

Thanks

Do yourself a favor and visit some of the Can-Am Forums, even the Can-Am UTE forums..

I see lots of complaints about problems and worse than that, lots of complaints about how those problems are handled by the dealers and Can-Am. Also many mentions of waiting forever for replacement parts.

I noticed this trend a few months ago on some of the UTE forums (Highlifter etc,) . Haven't visited in awhile so it could be better now.

Don't get me wrong, all high strung performance machines will have problems, it is how those problems are handled that counts, at least to me.

maxfior
01-17-2008, 10:21 AM
Originally posted by 08400EX
Do yourself a favor and visit some of the Can-Am Forums, even the Can-Am UTE forums..

I see lots of complaints about problems and worse than that, lots of complaints about how those problems are handled by the dealers and Can-Am. Also many mentions of waiting forever for replacement parts.

I noticed this trend a few months ago on some of the UTE forums (Highlifter etc,) . Haven't visited in awhile so it could be better now.

Don't get me wrong, all high strung performance machines will have problems, it is how those problems are handled that counts, at least to me.

Agreed. However, the 450R has a pretty good rep for the most part, after market is strong and you'll be able to get parts for it years from now (that is, if you like keeping junk for a while like me ;) ). Having said that, I do like the KTM's, they have a solid engine rep and the build quility on KTM bikes is VERY good, but, with a first year quad I would stay away at least until the next year model, to see what kinks need worked out, if any. I also heard that it takes a long time to dial in the suspension on the KTM... Can Am would be good, but parts are expensive and they might be hard to come by in the future. The nice thing about going Jap, is that you can get parts and service pretty much everywhere... Being a Honda guy, I would go with the 450R. You wouldn't have to do much work to make it as nice as a KTM or Can Am, plus you would have Honda quality and parts everywhere should you need them. This of course is just my $0.02.

Max

lorenjr83
01-17-2008, 10:52 AM
The new can ams are very expensive and you will have a hard time finding one i would think since there were only 45 dealers in the US that got one. My buddy just bought one and he loves it. He put an order in for it when the reviews came out tho.