PDA

View Full Version : 07 jetting and differences to 04

jpconard
01-16-2008, 10:23 PM
OK, I've read several threads here and one guy AlexanderJason has a pretty good handle on the jetting.

Here is what I don't understand...07 runs lean. This has been confirmed by others and my plug is pretty white with a few dark shiny spots on it. Would Honda jet these so lean as to cause damage?

I cleaned out the carb, since 07 it may have had gas sit in it for awhile. That may have helped a little.

I see 07 has 42 pilot, 04 has 38. Yet at idle (where pilot is used), 07 runs lean 04 does not, that does not make sense. I even have K&N in the 04 (so it should get more air).

07 requires no throttle when choke on to start, 04 requires a little throttle (this makes sense smaller pilot plus it has k&n therefore requires a little throttle to compensate).

I noticed the "D" shaped fuel adjust, but I thought they just ground it off for emissions (no-tamper). Didn't know it was still adjustable. Guess I'll have to turn that out some to see if it helps.

Do the newer models make more power than previous models? I thought I noticed a higher number listed on the MCO for the 07 than the 04, I'll have to check it again. If they do, I'm not sure how (no motor changes that I know of, other than the clutch).

Also anybody tried to retrofit a sport clutch on the older model? I was looking at Bike Bandit OEM micro film (online), and it appeared the 04 could lose a few parts for the threaded clutch adjuster (and some small parts internally), get the 07 cover, lever, cable holder, and maybe 1 new small part inside the clutch area. The rest inside looked the same. Then it would just be the lever change & clutch cable (parking brake cable would be the same). Also find a place to put the reverse engagement lever and maybe different cable for that. The most expensive part is the motor clutch cover $130. In total I would guess around $250 to make the change.

jpconard
01-16-2008, 10:35 PM
A few other things I noticed if anyone is into the details.

1) Manuals indicate plug gap on 04 is .03 - .04, on 07 .03 - .035. But I think the metric showed the same so that may be a typo. I'll have to do the conversion to check it.

2) 07 indicates preferred oil as 10W-30, 04 indicates 10W-40. Both say not the energy conserving type of course. 07 indicates the 10W-30 can be used at higher temps and same low temp. as the 10W-40 (where in the 04 manual it recommends 10W-40 across the board and cuts the 10W-30 at the higher temps).

Not sure why they are doing this, I thought Honda oils only came in 10W-40 and 20W-50, unless they market lighter weight ones now, probably to do with emissions? I don't know.

I'm not sure I'm comfortable running 10W-30 through the summer months especially. Especially on air cooled engine.

3) 07 has NGK plug, 04 has the denso (both are listed in both manuals).

rev-man
01-19-2008, 06:52 PM
well i have an 07 and my friend has an 03 we both have the same stuff but mine is louder and faster than his idk why but it seems the 07 has a lot better perfomance than the 03

and honda oil GN4 now comes in 10w-30 but i dont like that oil it sucks (my opinion) i run roltella t 10w-30 in winter and 15w-40 in the summer