PDA

View Full Version : 21" vs 22" rear tires

TRXRacer1
01-16-2008, 06:52 PM
Here's the deal, I have a set of 23" fronts coming. I've decided to go a little bigger in the rear too but I've never ran anything but 20s. I'm leaning towards 21s but I'm open to 22s too. I quit riding MX in any serious fashion about 7 years ago so this setup will be mainly geared for woods/scramble runs.

Any insight is appreciated. Also I've narrowed my tire choices down to Kenda Knarly XC's and ITP GNCC Holeshots.

Thanks

jaminjer
01-16-2008, 07:26 PM
I went with a 22 inch rear to get some more ground clearance. I went down a tooth for the front sprocket, I have liked the taller tire very much for the ground clearance. I ride mostly trails and climb hills. I had the stockers in the rear, got a gash in the sidewall so went with a better taller tire. I have the Kenda Knarly's XC and like them very much, but if i were to do it again I would go with the razer2.

TRXRacer1
01-16-2008, 09:00 PM
I have to ask since you have the Klaws............ do they have slidability? I need to kick the machine side to side without the tires over gripping on me. I was actually looking at the Razr 2's for the rear but they look like they have way too much side bite for my style of riding. It looks like the outer tread actually hooks outward. It might not be too bad but it looks like they would dig in like crazy.

Also did you feel a big weight difference when you went to the 22s or was it barely noticable?

Thanks

mattn03
01-16-2008, 09:02 PM
I'd like to run taller tires on mine also since I ride in the woods for fun only. How necessary is it to gear down a tooth on a 2005 model?