PDA

View Full Version : hotcam stg 1 and wiesco piston breakin help

casey_lamm
01-16-2008, 04:50 PM
I have the bike ready for breakin. What is the process for it? What do you listen and look for? After done do you have to check the valves...

please help, im new at this.

Thanks!

drew416ex
01-16-2008, 05:05 PM
Run it over 3000rpm but not to high. Ride in a flat area and dont let the engine strain or bog. I do it for 30 min. Let it cool and do it for another 30 min then i pick up the pace. For the last 30 min my rpms vary and I put the engine in somewhat of a bind but not too much. After that i let it cool, check the valves and go have fun. Ive done this about ten times and havnt had a problem yet. I also change the oil after breakin.

casey_lamm
01-16-2008, 05:12 PM
how often are the clearances off if you do them during the installation? just curious... i will do it, just wonder if anyone finds they are off.

Originally posted by drew416ex
Run it over 3000rpm but not to high. Ride in a flat area and dont let the engine strain or bog. I do it for 30 min. Let it cool and do it for another 30 min then i pick up the pace. For the last 30 min my rpms vary and I put the engine in somewhat of a bind but not too much. After that i let it cool, check the valves and go have fun. Ive done this about ten times and havnt had a problem yet. I also change the oil after breakin.

drew416ex
01-16-2008, 05:16 PM
I dont understand exactly what you are asking.

casey_lamm
01-16-2008, 05:17 PM
are there any instuctions on how to check the vavles i had someone with me earlier...and now will be on my own...also dont have any spacers to check them, where do i get them...
Originally posted by casey_lamm
how often are the clearances off if you do them during the installation? just curious... i will do it, just wonder if anyone finds they are off.

NJ450rider
01-16-2008, 05:20 PM
All the engines ive ever rebuilt and modded this is what i do.

1st. Make sure everything is good and right on.(timing, fluids etc.)

2nd. Start it up and listen for any strange noises. Shut down right away if something sounds funny at all. Most times itll be fine or if something is way off it wont run anyways.

3rd. Let it get warm and keep the engine rpm up around 2500 to 3000. 400ex rpm idle is 1400 + or - 100 rpm. So you can usually tell what another 1000 to 1500 rpm is its not much. Do that for 20 to 30 mintues.

4th. Let it cool down and check the valves. Probably not really needed but i do it anyways. better to catch something early.

5th. Go take it for a ride. Nothing more than half for the first 30 to 60 minutes or so. Just cruise around.

6th. Let it cool again. Than ride around a lil bit faster pace. up to about 3/4 throttle with a few full out burst but nothing crazy. Do that for another 30 to 60 minutes.

7th. Bring it home and drain the oil and put in fresh oil. Anything that is gonna break in should be in the oil by now. (also wouldnt hurt to check the valves again)

8th. ride it like you normally would! (aka give it a good torture test!)

Just remember to listen to anything strange or any sudden changes in engine noise. Also i dunno if anyone told you but the hotcams cams are on the noisy side so just be aware if you think something sounds funny its probably just normal cam noise.

Hope that helps.....

NJ450rider
01-16-2008, 05:23 PM
Yeah there might be special clearances for the stage one hot cam. I dunno though i dont have one.

drew416ex
01-16-2008, 05:24 PM
You use something called feeler guages. You can get these at any auto parts store. You can look on hotcams website and find the gap the valves should be set at. There is a thread on here that says step by step how do check your valve clearance.

trx400EXtreme
01-16-2008, 05:29 PM
i gotta question too. what if you just do a piston. do you have to check the valves and what not?

casey_lamm
01-16-2008, 05:29 PM
found the article.. thats a good guide.

You use something called feeler guages. You can get these at any auto parts store. You can look on hotcams website and find the gap the valves should be set at. There is a thread on here that says step by step how do check your valve clearance.

drew416ex
01-16-2008, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by trx400EXtreme
i gotta question too. what if you just do a piston. do you have to check the valves and what not?

Any time you even just pull off the valve cover check the valves. It only takes a few minuts and your are right there anyways.

drew416ex
01-16-2008, 05:55 PM
The valve settings are .13mm (.005") intake, and .15mm (.006") exhaust

trx400EXtreme
01-16-2008, 06:08 PM
to check them do you just get a feeler guage and and check clearences..... and if their not right lap them or what? don't know a WHOLE lot about valves other than which one is which and when they open and close.

400ex28
01-16-2008, 06:19 PM
When I rebuilt mine, I went to the track and just rode it like I normally would at the track and it still runs great.

TRXRacer1
01-16-2008, 07:02 PM
A great way to break in a new engine is to go out for an easy ride. My current system is to get a bunch of the guys with the wives out for a state trail ride. I'm out riding and the engine basically gets babied for a couple hours with this group. The engine gets a nice mix of low to mid RPMs and plenty of cool air. By the time we leave it's not only broke in but I've shown everyone how slow their machines are on the ride home! <---j/k Seriously though, it's a good way to break in the motor and enjoy some riding with friends.

drew416ex
01-16-2008, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by trx400EXtreme
to check them do you just get a feeler guage and and check clearences..... and if their not right lap them or what? don't know a WHOLE lot about valves other than which one is which and when they open and close.

Take off the valve caps and the two caps on the left side of the engine. Get a 17mm socket and roll the engine over until you see a "T' in the small hole. There is a mark on top of the T, align it with a notch in the hole. Also watch the valves while you roll the engine over to make sure you are on the T while the valves are closed. Then slide the feeler guage in between the valve and rocker. There is a 10mm nut on the rocker. Break it loose and adjust it with a screwdriver then retighten the nut when it is set. The feeler guage should have some resistance on it while sliding it inbetween the valve and rocker. And make sure you do this while the engine is cold. Even if its a little warm your adjustments will be off.

CarGuy7a
01-16-2008, 07:26 PM
Take off the valve caps and the two caps on the left side of the engine. Get a 17mm socket and roll the engine over until you see a "T' in the small hole. There is a mark on top of the T, align it with a notch in the hole. Also watch the valves while you roll the engine over to make sure you are on the T while the valves are closed. Then slide the feeler guage in between the valve and rocker. There is a 10mm nut on the rocker. Break it loose and adjust it with a screwdriver then retighten the nut when it is set. The feeler guage should have some resistance on it while sliding it inbetween the valve and rocker. And make sure you do this while the engine is cold. Even if its a little warm your adjustments will be off.

just make sure you are on the compression stroke. it will appear that the valves are closed at the top of the exhaust stroke.

what i do is watch the intake valves. rotate the motor until the intake valves open and close, then align the TDC mark.

casey_lamm
01-16-2008, 08:21 PM
i wish i would have paid more attention... im going to have to watch someone do this before I feel comfortable enough to do it myself...it doesn't sound too bad...but still would like to know 100% its right.

Originally posted by CarGuy7a
just make sure you are on the compression stroke. it will appear that the valves are closed at the top of the exhaust stroke.

what i do is watch the intake valves. rotate the motor until the intake valves open and close, then align the TDC mark.

CarGuy7a
01-17-2008, 05:09 PM
do you have a clymer or a honda service manual? if not just run down to you honda dealer and pick one up. my clymer was only like 20 somethin bux.

it'll walk you through everything. i was kind of nervous at first doing it to mine but i followed it step by step and now it's second nature.

casey_lamm
01-17-2008, 09:44 PM
jave one on order...

they dont stock it for some reason.

Originally posted by CarGuy7a
do you have a clymer or a honda service manual? if not just run down to you honda dealer and pick one up. my clymer was only like 20 somethin bux.

it'll walk you through everything. i was kind of nervous at first doing it to mine but i followed it step by step and now it's second nature.

casey_lamm
01-18-2008, 10:59 AM
got everyting finished broke it in...something isn't right...not much power...

see thread "what did i do wrong?" hopefullly i can sort this out today or tomorrow.

jave one on order...

they dont stock it for some reason.

casey_lamm
01-18-2008, 03:24 PM
Yea its fixed...and im happy again. Turns out the throttle cable got messed up...it had almost 1/2in of slop...how why this made a difference i dont know...I also changed the clip position.

Wow...the thing stands staight up....again all i can say is wow...im very very happy.

got everyting finished broke it in...something isn't right...not much power...

see thread "what did i do wrong?" hopefullly i can sort this out today or tomorrow.