PDA

View Full Version : Chevy LongHorn edition (1500 hemi) or Toyota Tundra

dirtbike&quad
01-16-2008, 02:39 PM
My choices are:
08 tundra.

08 ram 1500 w/ hemi (long horn addition)

dilemma:
The tundra, which is a lot nicer, is $5000 more.

what would you get, and why?

we are thinking toyota...reliable truck that will get more resale value down the road, like 6+ years from now. it also has a lot more room inside, and altho the bed is smaller, we'd prefer then inside room. It is a lot nicer inside too. the rear window slides down all the way with the touch of a button.

Both are silver.

The ram is nice inside but isnt as nice as the tundra. smaller back area, but bigger bed, which isnt as important, the quad can fit into both. The rear window on this only slides in the middle, with the touch of a button. ram comes with lifetime warranty on powertrain.

so, what is your choice? these are both brand new, so thats just another heads up

let me know what you guys think

trx400EXtreme
01-16-2008, 02:46 PM
the toyotas are def. nice trucks. my uncle has one. my dad drives a cummins. if the dodge were a cummins, i'd say go for it. but if your going for comfort, i'd say the trd.

jherbie28
01-16-2008, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by trx400EXtreme
the toyotas are def. nice trucks. my uncle has one. my dad drives a cummins. if the dodge were a cummins, i'd say go for it. but if your going for comfort, i'd say the trd.

yeap but the yota dosent have the warrenty, you cant get all the best things in the options with both trucks? no one can touch dodges warrenty:macho ford guy myself but both are nice

Hondamaster5505
01-16-2008, 02:54 PM
Toyota.

That 5.7 will make the hemi feel like a dog.

They have like a 0-60 in like 5.7-6.0?

Plus they're comfortable, more resale value, and a bigger cab.

I love dodge too, but i think the tundras are nicer.

TRX450RACER174
01-16-2008, 02:56 PM
I would go for the Toyota merely for the longevity factor, I have friends that have Tundras and they always run great and have had no major probs.
I'm just not a Dodge fan unless it's a diesel and you won't need the powertrain warr on the yoda cause they are bullet proof.

ny300exrider
01-16-2008, 03:00 PM
id go with the chevrolet ram hemi......i love those chevy longhorns
:confused:

TRX450RACER174
01-16-2008, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by ny300exrider
That funny i read right past that and only payed attn to the Longhorn edition.

Kickstarts-suck
01-16-2008, 03:12 PM
When my dad was looking for a new truck we test drove the new tundras with 5.7 and 6 speed... They are fast as hell!!
but he ended up getting a new F150 and doesn't regret it at all. The F150 was loaded and cost the same as the base toyota.

Out of the 2 you listed I would get the Yota.

yellow400ex05
01-16-2008, 03:23 PM
well the tundra does have its flaws, and some not so good ones like the bed bounce which will like shred the paint apart on the cab. The camshaft failures which I'm sure have been fixed and the weak tailgates. not dissing them and they probably fixed them.

the 08' Chevy's are nice and now have the multi-displacement system where it goes to 4 cylinders when not under acceleration. They have great engines that have respectable power and are proven also.

the Rams have good power and its proven also and have the multi-displacement system since 2006. They get good gas when cruising down the highway my dad got 22.5 MPG! and its the quad cab 4x4 5.7 pulls great.

you should wait for the 2009 rams they are updated with new styling and more power if you got that route. They will have 380 HP and 404 ft lbs of torque which will probably make the tundra looks slow.

They are pulling 0-60 below 7 seconds in the new rams and even the new Dakota's are getting 310 HP and 320 ft lbs of torque! so if you want the ram wait for the 09's dodge did their homeworks on next year models.

:macho :)http://images.motortrend.com/photo_gallery/112_0801_09z+2009_dodge_ram_laramie+front_view.jpg http://images.motortrend.com/photo_gallery/112_0801_44z+2009_dodge_ram_sport+rear_view.jpg http://images.motortrend.com/photo_gallery/112_0801_48z+2009_dodge_ram_sport+front_view.jpg

dirtbike&quad
01-16-2008, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by ny300exrider

lol F i wasnt paying attention. it is a dodge longhorn to clarify to everyone lol

the dodge is sittin at $24000 + $4000 in tax and fees, $28000.
the tundra is sittin at $28000 + $4000 in tax and fees, $32000, but with some other little things it comes out to almost $5 grand difference.

01-16-2008, 04:18 PM
Toyota's dont die.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Lrk6vsb77xk

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0Uc4Ksz3nHM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YfZDtC9kjVk

Watch them all, they throw it in the ocean, light it on fire, and put it on top of building that's being blown up

quads14589
01-16-2008, 04:23 PM
is the tundra the bigger one?

01-16-2008, 04:28 PM
i would get the Tundra, thats what i want to get Tundra's are really nice trucks and last longer

yellow400ex05
01-16-2008, 04:32 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EWjTbiYo3x0

theres the video for the bed bounce.

01-16-2008, 04:32 PM
Originally posted by quads14589
is the tundra the bigger one?

Yea, tundras are the fullsize, tacoma is mid size.

Anyway, I sat in one of the new 08 tundra's and it's deff nicer than my dads 08 f250.

quads14589
01-16-2008, 05:29 PM
idk id go with a dodge save some cash then put some of that extra cash into for an intake or exhaust

2strokescreamer
01-16-2008, 08:16 PM
i have an 08 tundra and love it. Lots of room and great performance! Wouldnt be afraid to buy another one

Blue250X
01-16-2008, 09:17 PM
Originally posted by nofearrider1
Toyota's dont die.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=Lrk6vsb77xk

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0Uc4Ksz3nHM

http://youtube.com/watch?v=YfZDtC9kjVk

Watch them all, they throw it in the ocean, light it on fire, and put it on top of building that's being blown up

Oh, Ive seen em die. My buddy has a taco and he can hardly keep that thing alive. First the tranny and transfer case went out of it, then when we were mudding it just completly stopped, then a spark plug blew out of the head, then bearings went out of it, the 4wd lever broke off (I know thats not really a huge thing, but I've never seen any other truck do that). He could just have a bad truck though.

ny300exrider
01-16-2008, 09:19 PM
that 09 ram looks BANGIN. wow.

400exrider707
01-17-2008, 05:31 AM
Out of those two I dont even see a choice, Toyota hands down. $4000 is a small price to pay for the better quality. My buddy has an 04 ram with the hemi, and it's certainly a nice truck, but man they sure hyped the heck out of the hemi... I couldn't get over how slow it was. Barely able to brake the tires loose in the rain going around a corner. Rode nice though and was nice inside. Dodge put that liftetime powertrain on there for a reason. Also the camshaft problem with the yotas was a small batch, and toyota was nice enough to replace the entire engine and not just the camshaft, if that says anything about their quality. Also $28,000 is cheap for a tundra, it must not have a lot of upgrades!? The ones I looked at right before I bought my truck were sitting somewhere between $35K and $37K and those were not fully loaded trucks.

54warrior
01-17-2008, 06:31 AM
I think that the 'yotas are waayy too expensive to even consider one, regardless of how great it MIGHT be and what the resale value is. Oh, I forgot to add that they're really friggin UGLY too, ugliest 1/2 ton being sold right now IMO. Good trucks, but who wants to drive an ugly truck??? It boggles my mind how they can make such a cool truck with the new Taco's and then come out with the CATFISH-like Tundra??? Obviously different design teams. Oh, and the dash guages look like crap too, like peering down into a well.

The Dodge's have a reputation for crappo, in-efficient transmission/drivelines. reason's why the HEMI might make 340 hp, but can't get it to the rear wheels because of the extreme losses incurred through thier junk trans/t-cases. Well laid out interiors though, although the double cab is more like an extended cab with four doors, not much room back there.

What do you plan to use this truck for???

bwamos
01-17-2008, 07:02 AM
Originally posted by Blue250X
Oh, Ive seen em die. My buddy has a taco and he can hardly keep that thing alive. First the tranny and transfer case went out of it, then when we were mudding it just completly stopped, then a spark plug blew out of the head, then bearings went out of it, the 4wd lever broke off (I know thats not really a huge thing, but I've never seen any other truck do that). He could just have a bad truck though.

Or he abuses it. LOL.
Just the first thing that popped into my mind, lol. ;)

cbrooks118
01-17-2008, 07:44 AM
when is the last time you saw a toyota on the side of the road broke down?

The dodge is nice, but their right, the hemi sucks gas and doesnt get the HP to the pavement.

As for the Tundra, they are nice trucks, but it sounds like a lot of money to me.

I would buy one year old and save 8 grand

To the earlier post about the Chevy's that go to 4cyllinder mode to help with mpg. Its a great idea until you put duals on it. My friend just bought an 08 z71 and put flowmaster single chambers on it. Sound great until it switches into 4 cylinder....Then we all just laugh at him because it sounds like an angry weedeater

cdrookie
01-17-2008, 09:07 AM
i have an 06 slt hemi 4x4 1500 with flowmaster cat back and a tru flow intake. best mpg i got was 19.5 on a 350 mile trip(western pa-va). around town i'm getting mid/high 15's with this winter gas:( dodges tranny troubles were with the late 90's early 00's. they weren't flowing any fluid till it was put in gear from what i've read. they fixxed that. i'm not really impressed with it's power but it has enough unless you're planning on towing heavy loads. lots of room for a standard cab(i'm 6'2"). doesn't sound like a weedeater when it goes to 4 cyl mode either. my biggest complaint is that with these electronically controlled trannies they don't downshift consistantly. when you want it to downshift you need to put it to the floor(then it shifts down 3 gears) and when you don't want it to shift........ i drive alot of rental cars, the toyota avalon was by far the worst one for doing this, so it's not just a dodge thing. nothing can be more reliable than a lifetime powertrain warrenty either.

the toyota is very nice but they don't deal and are kind of cocky about it. they say "thats why our trucks have better resale", well ya, but you don't sell nearly as many as the competition. you can sell trucks or sit in your cubicle and be high on your resale value:ermm:

and have you ever had a truck with an opening back window? just brings any road/bed dirt straight into the cab...

54warrior
01-17-2008, 09:39 AM
Originally posted by cdrookie

and have you ever had a truck with an opening back window? just brings any road/bed dirt straight into the cab...

Yes, I love my power back window. It was the deciding factor in why I bought an 05 instead of an 04!!! I don't have any issues with bed dirt, cause I have a tonneau cover. Plus it's great putting all 5 windows completely down and letting the air blow through in the summertime.

54warrior
01-17-2008, 09:44 AM
Originally posted by cdrookie
the toyota is very nice but they don't deal and are kind of cocky about it. they say "thats why our trucks have better resale", well ya, but you don't sell nearly as many as the competition. you can sell trucks or sit in your cubicle and be high on your resale value:ermm:

Correct, the won't dicker at all. And a big 10-4 on them being cocky. Sure, I went and looked (no intention to buy) at the new Tundra's-it's a new truck, who wouldn't. But when the salesman gets all cocky about how great he thinks it is, and then crosses the line and starts bashing my own personal truck, along with all the other mfg's, forget it!! I was out of that place in a hearbeat.

I got a heckuva deal on my Titan, and although the resale value is crap, I could care less. When I bought the truck, my intent was to keep it for 8+ years. That is still my intent, because this thing has very reliable. Yes I've had several minor issues, but all were fixed under warranty, no questions asked.

I'll add one more thing, have you ever looked at where they placed the tow hooks on the Tundra??? What the F were they thinking there???

400exrider707
01-17-2008, 10:59 AM
Everyone says they wont dicker, but they will. I've seen it. A buddy of mine just bought a new tacoma for almost the same prices as a new dakota. It was right around invoice price.

54warrior - looks are an opinion. As far as how it mechanically performs well that all depends, but for you to say a truck is ugly, doesn't mean its ugly for everyone.

Fact is, Toyotas cost more money on average, but they hold a higher resale value, there's nothing you can do about that... and saying toyota doesn't sell... are you kidding me?

Did anyone read the news where it was announced Toyota moved to the number 2 spot for cars sold, and is now past ford and quickly catching GM, and if I'm not mistaken they are already pretty close to top selling trucks, if not they will be soon.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying everyone should be buying a toyota, but it's getting pretty hard to knock anything about them other than looks and price.

I drive a Ford right now if that says anything.

I'm waiting, the 09 f-150s will be 4.4 V8 diesel equipped, and I'm hearing rumors of 31mpg already. I cant wait. I know GM is going to have a 1500 diesel soon.

54warrior
01-17-2008, 11:21 AM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
[B]54warrior - looks are an opinion. As far as how it mechanically performs well that all depends, but for you to say a truck is ugly, doesn't mean its ugly for everyone.

Just for the record, I think this one's ugly too, the 04-present model is much better. The pre-'99 Fords are the nicest looking trucks of all time, IMO. They're making trucks for soccer moms nowadays, its a disgrace.

http://www.blogsmithmedia.com/www.autoblog.com/media/2008/01/09f150platinum_01_mr.jpg

cdrookie
01-17-2008, 11:29 AM
some toyotas are a good deal but if they did sale ratings on the new tundra(not cars/suv/tacomas) they'd be below ford/dodge/chevy. why? price sells. but with gas prices over $3.00 a gallon all the manufacturers are feeling it when it comes to full size trucks. a stripper tundra can be had for a decent price but it's still more than a stripper gm/ford/dodge model.
i dug this up real quick, truck sales as of september last year

ford 32%
chevy 26.7%
dodge 20%
toyota 8.7%

i wonder where they'd be if they would deal a little bit?

parkers30
01-17-2008, 11:59 AM

I'm waiting, the 09 f-150s will be 4.4 V8 diesel equipped, and I'm hearing rumors of 31mpg already. I cant wait. I know GM is going to have a 1500 diesel soon.

I haven't seen a solid date on Ford's but I know that GM just released that the 4.5 Duramax will not enter production until Q4 2009, but i will be 310hp 580 tq, which is above what the 6.6 came out at :eek2:

Kickstarts-suck
01-17-2008, 12:11 PM
Everyone says they wont dicker, but they will. I've seen it. A buddy of mine just bought a new tacoma for almost the same prices as a new dakota. It was right around invoice price.

54warrior - looks are an opinion. As far as how it mechanically performs well that all depends, but for you to say a truck is ugly, doesn't mean its ugly for everyone.

Fact is, Toyotas cost more money on average, but they hold a higher resale value, there's nothing you can do about that... and saying toyota doesn't sell... are you kidding me?

Did anyone read the news where it was announced Toyota moved to the number 2 spot for cars sold, and is now past ford and quickly catching GM, and if I'm not mistaken they are already pretty close to top selling trucks, if not they will be soon.

Dont get me wrong, I'm not saying everyone should be buying a toyota, but it's getting pretty hard to knock anything about them other than looks and price.

I drive a Ford right now if that says anything.

I also cant wait on the 4.4L F150s but i dont think it will be getting 31 MPG maybe 25.Also heard it will be in the 2010s. Hope the 6.2L boss motors will be an option for the 2009.5s

more pics of the 09 rams
http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/2009-ram.html

johnnyquad17
01-17-2008, 12:49 PM
I have an 07 5.7 4x4 Tundra and love it. No isssues at all. I also had a 95 Tacoma and had it for 10 years had no issues and sold it for 10,200 with 165k miles on it. I also got my Tundra at 200 above invoice at 0% APR for 60 months. You just have to shop a little harder. All car salesmen bash the comp so I wouldn't let that be a deciding factor. This engine is the best out there right now. It is very common to have issues with a new product but how they respond is what seperates them from others. The bottom line is buy what makes you happy but don't insult other peoples trucks. I think my truck is bad *** looking myself.

rundrave
01-17-2008, 02:58 PM
I just sold my last tacoma for $3500 less that what I paid for it 3.5 years ago. It sold as soon as I listed it, and I had call after call days after I sold it.

If the big 3 could ever build a truck that holds its value and doesnt require anything but general maintenance I would buy one.

I only sold my last tacoma because it was a ext cab, I now have a new Crew Cab Long bed that I absolutely love.

Blue250X
01-17-2008, 06:11 PM
Originally posted by bwamos
Or he abuses it. LOL.
Just the first thing that popped into my mind, lol. ;)

Hes a 17 year old boy, your darn right he abuses it! haha. He honestly doesn't abuse it horrible though, I can say I abuse the ol '93 chevy more than he does. I was just making a point that they CAN die.

bulkdriverlp
01-17-2008, 08:31 PM
toyota, dodge cant seem to get it right when it comes to drivetrain componets. our '06 f-150 is so uncomfortable, the fabric is real cheap on the seats. tundra 381hp, ford 300hp.

400exrider707
01-18-2008, 04:26 AM
Originally posted by Kickstarts-suck
I also cant wait on the 4.4L F150s but i dont think it will be getting 31 MPG maybe 25.Also heard it will be in the 2010s. Hope the 6.2L boss motors will be an option for the 2009.5s

more pics of the 09 rams
http://www.allpar.com/model/ram/2009-ram.html

I talked with a gentlemen this week who claims to have already ordered one of the 09's with the diesel from Ford. I dont know how true this is, but this is what he claimed. It's certainly sparking my interest. I also think 31mpg sounds high, but it's something I've been hearing, and I hope it's true.

400exrider707
01-18-2008, 04:29 AM
Originally posted by bulkdriverlp
toyota, dodge cant seem to get it right when it comes to drivetrain componets. our '06 f-150 is so uncomfortable, the fabric is real cheap on the seats. tundra 381hp, ford 300hp.

Our 04 equipped with the leather captains chairs is one of the smoothest riding trucks I've ever been in. I'm not a fan of the cloth chairs in my 250, and for long trips they become uncomfortable. However I didn't buy it for comfort.

quads14589
01-18-2008, 04:40 AM
id get the dodge 5.7 hemi get it chipped exhaust and air filter, pull up to some ricer at ur school, "hey wanna race"?

dirtbike&quad
01-19-2008, 03:18 PM
found a good deal on the Titan as well...a litle cheaper than the Tundra. (a little meaning like $1-2k)

Tundra or Titan?

dirtbike&quad
01-19-2008, 03:18 PM
found a good deal on the Titan as well...a litle cheaper than the Tundra. (a little meaning like $1-2k)

Tundra or Titan?

cdrookie
01-19-2008, 03:52 PM
tundra, but nissan deals a little better than toyota so i'd shop around a little more for a better deal if you're liking the titan

dirtbike&quad
01-19-2008, 06:30 PM
yeah im not sure. id have to test drive it. me and my dad are thinkin hard lol

yellow05ex
01-21-2008, 01:12 AM
Id go toyota all the way. I have an 05 and love it. Toyota will not deal as much as other dealers but they do deal...just harder. Go closer to the end of the month, they will deal better to meet monthly quotas. It took me a few drives to the dealer to get a really good deal. Dodge will pretty much drop their pants on the first or second time at the show room.

Dudding4x4
01-21-2008, 06:21 AM
I bought an 07 toyota tundra double cab limited 4x4 with the 5.7. It had every available factory option, I thought I would like it. Plus unlike what you guys were saying they were trying to give me the truck. THey knocked 4K of the sticker, plus I got zero percent financing, plus they gave me a bunch of accessories for it. I had it home about 5 minutes and had huge buyers remorse. I just couldn't stand the way it looked. I tried everything. Put a 3 inch lift and really nice tires and wheels. It helped but not much. At any rate I had to get rid of it, and it was everything I could do not to loose my butt....

At any rate if you want a dodge visit stevewhitemotors.com pick out the dodge you want then call them up and tell them to ebay price it. You will save big bucks. On the last dodge cummins I bought, it stickered for 47k and I ended up paying 36k. I don't know where you live this place in is NC but its worth the drive...

by the way I am not knocking the toyota I absolutly love tacomas and the tundra was a good product(except for a bunch of dump things) The shifter wouldn't shift into park, the seat belt kept breaking, the vents wouldn't stay open, all minor things the dealer took care of. Just personal preference in the looks dept. The 5.7 is a beast though for a gas motor.

mitchamus
01-21-2008, 11:02 AM
Watch the tail gates on the toyota.

http://www.tundrasolutions.com/forums/tundra/117206-tundra-tailgate-failures-i-am-club/

54warrior
01-21-2008, 01:19 PM
I am a Titan owner of 43k, and 3+ years. Extremely happy with it so far. Check out titantalk.com or clubtitan.org if you want to research more. Ask around and get other opinions on it. I might be happy with mine, but that doesn't necessarily mean that others are too. There's been several "Would you buy another Titan" threads on both sites and for the most part I'd say that 85% usually say YES.

http://i154.photobucket.com/albums/s245/54warrior/S6300505sm.jpg

dirtbike&quad
01-22-2008, 06:54 PM
whats everyones opinion on a 2x4 truck

Hondamaster5505
01-22-2008, 08:13 PM
Originally posted by dirtbike&quad
whats everyones opinion on a 2x4 truck

Why would you want a 2x4:huh

Stick with 4x4. They are so much nicer to have and look alot more aggresive.

dirtbike&quad
01-22-2008, 08:23 PM
Originally posted by Hondamaster5505
Why would you want a 2x4:huh

Stick with 4x4. They are so much nicer to have and look alot more aggresive.

the only reason would be because its 21,000 without the 4x4 whereas with it its like 26,000

yellow05ex
01-22-2008, 08:23 PM
2x4 is def gay. But if you live somewhere that you dont need the 4x4 then go with the 2x4 to save money. Personally though I would never own a 2x4 even if i lived in a state that it never snowed.

Hondamaster5505
01-22-2008, 08:25 PM
i would only get a 2x4 if it was designed to be a big-block street truck.

54warrior
01-23-2008, 08:21 AM
If you lived in Cali or Texas, then maybe I'd get a 2x4, but not since you're from Jersey.