PDA

View Full Version : quad stalling

dirtbike&quad
01-16-2008, 02:33 PM
I'm workin on my friends blaster, and i get the quad to a point where it gets all the way to the front of my driveway (pretty long driveway), and it stalls out, even when im givin it good throttle, any ideas?
Mike

pro-rider46
01-16-2008, 03:23 PM
did you try giving it minimal throttle. or are you sayin when you start out(letting the clutch out)?

dirtbike&quad
01-16-2008, 03:35 PM
well it starts up fine and it will sit there for a while with givin it a little throttle, then i go to ride it, and it will go all the way up my driveway, but when i turn around and come back down, it stalls out. seems like it only wants to go so far, then stall...

the Z Man
01-16-2008, 06:22 PM
Sounds like its running out of fuel. loosen the gas cap, maybe its losing vent.
There might be some junk in the float bowl.
When it dies see if there is spark.

dirtbike&quad
01-16-2008, 08:07 PM
there is spark...i thought it only needed spark to start up the quad though?

and also, how would i check for junk in the float bowl...to be honest i dont even know where it is, on my cr85 i know where it is but not on his blaster
thanks
Mike

the Z Man
01-16-2008, 08:37 PM
You need fuel as well as spark, on your carb at the bottom there is a small black hose, this is your over flow, there should also be a small screw on one side by the hose. If you loosen the screw fuel should come out of the hose.
If no fuel comes out something is blocking either in the carb. or the gas tank.
If fuel does come out, you could be vapor locking, which means, your gas cap hose could be clogged, unscrew it and see if you can suck or blow on it, you may want to make sure you have good fuel, there may be moisture in there.
I hope this helps. Z.
www.bobziebell41.com

dirtbike&quad
01-19-2008, 11:42 AM
so far im doin alright. i think the carbs might be gunked up so i sprayed some carb cleaner in there. i'll probably have my friend (who owns the blaster) bring it to the shop and have the carb cleaned and rejetted.

some questions:
can i run the blaster with no filter? Advantages vs disadvantages?
can i run the blaster and disconnect the air box from the carb? Adv disadv?

Thanks
Mike

450rJam
01-19-2008, 12:34 PM
do NOT ride it without the air filter, dirt in the motor will cause you alot more problems (rings,bearings,reeds)

make sure it has fresh gas and get the carb cleaned
(remove the jets and spray cleaner through them)

the mixed fuel will gum up the carb if it is left to sit for an extended time, fuel will also go bad (usually takes at least a few months )

Sjorge450R
01-19-2008, 02:34 PM
the jet that is connected to the float (i am having a brain fart right now) is prob sticking. I had this problem when i worked on my friends blaster. Mine was sticking open tho..

dirtbike&quad
01-19-2008, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by Sjorge300EX
the jet that is connected to the float (i am having a brain fart right now) is prob sticking. I had this problem when i worked on my friends blaster. Mine was sticking open tho..

that was exactly the problem after we opened up the carb lol

i read this after we fixed it though lol

thanks for the help guys