PDA

View Full Version : forman brakes

mittman
01-16-2008, 11:01 AM
we have a forman for plowing and hauling stuff anyway the other day i was pushing it out of the garage and i felt like the brakes were on and they wernt so when i was riding it i hit the foot brake and it went down but wont come back up the spring is still on there not sure whats wrong with it i'm sure if i take a better look at it i can figure it out has anyone had this problem let me know thanks

jrafter
01-18-2008, 08:03 AM
do you have rear disc or drum

mittman
01-18-2008, 12:27 PM
drum, i have nothing to do this weekend so i'm going to tear it apart.

jrafter
01-18-2008, 05:47 PM
i have not had to work on my drum so i dont much about it.

if you could take some pics when you do i would like to see in the drum.

i have a manual that shows you have to loosen the axle nut.

make sure its tight when you put it back together...i had a problem with that nut on my 400ex.

mittman
01-21-2008, 02:43 PM
ends up i didnt have to take the drum apart the shaft that the foot brake is on has a a slot on the shaft and there was dirt and mud in there so i drilled a hole and put a grease fitting on it so that was about a hour job

Honda_Guy99
01-21-2008, 06:05 PM
Glad you got it fixed. I switched the front brakes on my Foreman over to disc and let me tell you, it was the best thing I ever did to that thing. I would look into it.

mittman
01-21-2008, 07:30 PM
i would but its not like i ride it everyday it gets used mostly in the winter for plowing thats about it and sometimes in the summer for mudding. my dad bought it for him but he bought a yfz450 i dont want to spend money on a quad i dont ride all that much

leager-n-ky
03-05-2008, 04:19 AM
HAS ANYONE SWITCHED OUT THE REAR DRUM BRAKE OVER TO A DISC BRAKE YET ON AN 02 450 FOREMAN??

joebiker
04-26-2008, 06:00 PM
My guess is that you probably have a seal leaking water into your drum brakes and it has left residue and rust in it's place. Pull your drums and take a look...The other possibility is that your brake cables are seized, also due to rust and lack of lubricant.

Joebiker

joebiker
04-26-2008, 06:01 PM
Great, first thing I do is double post! Sorry guys.

Joebiker

cj4
06-10-2008, 10:07 PM
I have an 04 Foreman Rubicon and the rear drum brake (only has one brake on the rear) kept dragging and locking up. The hand brake cable wouldn't return to open position by itself either so I figured the cable was stretched and seizing. I ordered a new hand cable and put it on and it still wasn't releasing. The old cable was a bit harder to move in the housing but that turned out not to be the real problem. I tore the drum brake down today and everything was grody inside (didn't look like an oil seal was leaking tho) and the brake shoes were barely moving on the pivot side (rt side). I tore it all apart and wire brushed everything and cleaned it all up and WD-40 the pivot pins and put it all back together. It's much better and releasing better on the hand brake cable but it's still not like new. (i'm picky). I think I probably should go ahead and get new shoes, they look like they have probably 3/16ths left on the linings but they aren't holding very well. I'm wondering if the brake springs or the return spring on the outside could be getting weak causing the hand brake cable not to return good????