PDA

View Full Version : 250R Rear Shock Replacement, What Shocks from Which ATV's Will Fit?

395Rider
01-16-2008, 10:21 AM
I have one year of racing under my belt and a bad lower back. My baby is a 1986 Honda TRX250R with a Rear Rebuilt OEM Shock. I want to step it up and get more travel and a better ride for MX. Which Rear Shocks from which ATVs will fit my bike?

400exrider707
01-16-2008, 12:04 PM
It all comes down to how much you want to spend. Also dont just go slapping on parts from other quads. A different shock off of another quad may bolt up, but it doesn't make it right, or even better for that matter. You should be looking for shocks built for your machine, and then have them set up for your weight. You may be able to get away using 400ex fronts seeing as your 250R is almost identical in frame design, but they should still be set up properly for you and your quad.

What kind of racing do you do and how much are you looking to spend?

395Rider
01-16-2008, 01:15 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
It all comes down to how much you want to spend. Also dont just go slapping on parts from other quads. A different shock off of another quad may bolt up, but it doesn't make it right, or even better for that matter. You should be looking for shocks built for your machine, and then have them set up for your weight. You may be able to get away using 400ex fronts seeing as your 250R is almost identical in frame design, but they should still be set up properly for you and your quad.

What kind of racing do you do and how much are you looking to spend?

The reason I ask is because newer models have longer travel than my stock shock. Some people have their stock shocks modified for MX Racing and purchasing one on ebay would be a lot cheaper than buying a new Elka or Fox shock. I've already spent 800 bucks on a new set of Fox Floats. 2008 will be the last year racing my Baby in MX and Grand Prixs. I dont want to drop another grand on one shock. I'm looking to spend around 200 bucks and some time to find a modified stock, used elka, fox, or pep. You are probably laughing right about now......

400exrider707
01-16-2008, 01:36 PM
Originally posted by 395Rider
The reason I ask is because newer models have longer travel than my stock shock. Some people have their stock shocks modified for MX Racing and purchasing one on ebay would be a lot cheaper than buying a new Elka or Fox shock. I've already spent 800 bucks on a new set of Fox Floats. 2008 will be the last year racing my Baby in MX and Grand Prixs. I dont want to drop another grand on one shock. I'm looking to spend around 200 bucks and some time to find a modified stock, used elka, fox, or pep. You are probably laughing right about now......

No I am far from laughing about it. Just trying to help you out and get you some information that may or may not help you is all. Now being that the 250R stock rear is rebuildable, I would call up Derisi racing, Gt Thunder and C&D racing, talk to each one of them and see what they can do for you. You should be able to find very pleasing results from any one of those three at around the price range you are looking. Maybe a bit more, but certainly not new elka/fox prices. Like you said though check out ebay, there's always deals there, and dont forget to check out the used sections on here, I've bought almost all of my aftermarket parts from here used. Good luck, and any more questions feel free to ask.

395Rider
01-16-2008, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by 400exrider707
No I am far from laughing about it. Just trying to help you out and get you some information that may or may not help you is all. Now being that the 250R stock rear is rebuildable, I would call up Derisi racing, Gt Thunder and C&D racing, talk to each one of them and see what they can do for you. You should be able to find very pleasing results from any one of those three at around the price range you are looking. Maybe a bit more, but certainly not new elka/fox prices. Like you said though check out ebay, there's always deals there, and dont forget to check out the used sections on here, I've bought almost all of my aftermarket parts from here used. Good luck, and any more questions feel free to ask.

Oh yeah! When I first got the freshly rebuilt rear shock, it was cush! I just feel I need more travel. Thanks for giving me some good resources. I'll be sure to check out the used section. Thanks again!

TRX450RACER174
01-16-2008, 02:42 PM
Hey 395Rider what series are you in and what tracks are you riding at? J/c we should meet up somewhere and ride i'm local.

gimp419
01-16-2008, 08:01 PM
You are not going to find a shock for $200 that is going to perform any better than your stocker. To truely get more travel out of the rear end you are going to need a different linkage system. And unfortunately on the R it's buy a Cr500 style frame complete with swinger and linkage or get a no-link swinger and shock. Other than that you're gonna have to just suck it up and live with your stocker.

400exrider707
01-17-2008, 05:34 AM
Originally posted by gimp419
You are not going to find a shock for $200 that is going to perform any better than your stocker. To truely get more travel out of the rear end you are going to need a different linkage system. And unfortunately on the R it's buy a Cr500 style frame complete with swinger and linkage or get a no-link swinger and shock. Other than that you're gonna have to just suck it up and live with your stocker.

I disagree. I think a properly built rear stock shock would do wonders. He could absolutely gain a little travel out of it if it's built correctly. Sure a different linkage setup would be nice, but not always needed. With progressive valving and proper tuning it could ride nice. I think he should put a call in to those names above and see what they say.

gimp419
01-17-2008, 08:04 AM
You can disagree all you want but I raced 250r based quads for years and although a rebuilt rear feels good, it's not going to be a drastic difference. The stock R rear shocks work pretty darn good, probably as good if not better than any of the new stock 450 rears.

400exrider707
01-18-2008, 11:34 AM
Originally posted by gimp419
You can disagree all you want but I raced 250r based quads for years and although a rebuilt rear feels good, it's not going to be a drastic difference. The stock R rear shocks work pretty darn good, probably as good if not better than any of the new stock 450 rears.

The new stock 450R rears are terrible for the most part, or at least on my Honda. A rebuilt stock rear is night and day difference on my quad, I guess it's not that big of a difference on the 250R's? I've rode a lot of 250R's but thinking back I dont think a single one of them had a stock shock on it so I guess I really cant say.:ermm: