PDA

View Full Version : Installation of a 89 Paul Turner Pipe on a 1986 250R, Help!

395Rider
01-16-2008, 12:18 AM
I have an 86 250R and I run it with a Low to Mid Range 89 Paul Turner Pipe. I have tried a lot of different gasket sealants and they all eventually burn off when applied to the area at which the pipe connects to the engine. Is there any type of sealant or method which will make the pipe fit properly? Is there any type of sealant that will not burn off?

Also, I have raced my baby about 14 times in 2007, how often does the top end need to be redone?

rt20ps
01-16-2008, 07:25 AM
All exhaust sealers will eventually burn off. The best stuff I have ever used is called Ultra Copper by Permatex. You have to clean both surfaces really good before you apply the sealer, and make shure you let it dry completely before starting your quad.

You can use this stuff between the cylinder and pipe, between the 2 halves of the expansion chamber, and between the pipe and silencer. It will stop all the 2-stroke "spooge" from running out of those connections.

Once you notice it start to leak again, it's time to pull the exhaust and seal it all again.

As far as you top-ends. I would buy a cheap compression gauge. Evertime you change your spark plug do a quick compression test. When your compression numbers begin to drop off you'll know it's time for a piston.

250r4life
01-16-2008, 09:34 AM
im thinking when i got an aftermarket exhaust flange it helped mine... it helps how you line it up too...

395Rider
01-16-2008, 10:09 AM
Originally posted by rt20ps
All exhaust sealers will eventually burn off. The best stuff I have ever used is called Ultra Copper by Permatex. You have to clean both surfaces really good before you apply the sealer, and make shure you let it dry completely before starting your quad.

You can use this stuff between the cylinder and pipe, between the 2 halves of the expansion chamber, and between the pipe and silencer. It will stop all the 2-stroke "spooge" from running out of those connections.

Once you notice it start to leak again, it's time to pull the exhaust and seal it all again.

As far as you top-ends. I would buy a cheap compression gauge. Evertime you change your spark plug do a quick compression test. When your compression numbers begin to drop off you'll know it's time for a piston.

It seemed I was resealing the bike after every race and you just ended this year long mystery! Its just something that has to be done! Thanks for your advice and info.

395Rider
01-16-2008, 10:11 AM
Originally posted by 250r4life
im thinking when i got an aftermarket exhaust flange it helped mine... it helps how you line it up too...

I didnt know there was an aftermarket flange for the pipes, I am going to look into it, thanks!

cbrooks118
01-16-2008, 10:33 AM
thanks for this thread, i have been wondering how to get rid of the "sponge" on my 86 for years. Never have found anything that has worked for more than an hour of riding though

250r4life
01-16-2008, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by 395Rider
I didnt know there was an aftermarket flange for the pipes, I am going to look into it, thanks!

i put a duncan "dual o-ring" flange on mine...

if i remember right i've used high temp silicone before, and that seemed to hold up ok...

395Rider
01-16-2008, 12:09 PM
Originally posted by 250r4life
i put a duncan "dual o-ring" flange on mine...

if i remember right i've used high temp silicone before, and that seemed to hold up ok...

Holy Crap Man! I think this will work twice as good! I just pulled it up! It looks like I can put a grip of sealant on this one and it will last longer! Also, being it has two rings, there is less chance of blow by when rocking! Thanks for the info, I really appreciate it!

Here is a link for everyone else to see the flange:

http://www.duncanracing.com/prods/DR-11100

395Rider
01-16-2008, 12:12 PM
Originally posted by cbrooks118
thanks for this thread, i have been wondering how to get rid of the "sponge" on my 86 for years. Never have found anything that has worked for more than an hour of riding though

Check out the quote about the Flange! There is a link!

NJ450rider
01-16-2008, 01:48 PM
ESR racing also makes a billet flange with 3 o rings. One on the cylinder side and two on the pipe side. they claim it is permanant fix to your 250rs pipe blowing off/leaking. Id check it out!!!

http://www.esr250.com

395Rider
01-16-2008, 02:20 PM
Originally posted by NJ450rider
ESR racing also makes a billet flange with 3 o rings. One on the cylinder side and two on the pipe side. they claim it is permanant fix to your 250rs pipe blowing off/leaking. Id check it out!!!

http://www.esr250.com

Now, I think this one will really kick ACE! Not a very high price to pay for having consistant power! Thanks for info!

Here is a link for other readers!

http://www.esr250.com/250r_various.htm#exhaustflange

rt20ps
01-16-2008, 04:06 PM
I have used both the Duncan and ESR flanges. They both work but the o-rings by themselves don't seal for long. I would still recommend the Ultra Copper even with the billet flange and new o-rings.

250exkid
01-16-2008, 05:51 PM
got a pic of that pipe?