PDA

View Full Version : 18" vs 16" snowhogs ??

rtr4mx
01-15-2008, 11:00 PM
Hello,
I see a few of you guys are running 18x6.5x8 snowhogs. I have not even seen these, I don't think. We have 16x8x8 snowhogs and have not really had a chance to give them a real run, but most of the minis around here are running them. Is there any one out there that has run both sizes and willing to give input as to whick is a better setup? We ran some 16x6.6x8 tires for a short period but they looked a little ballooned on the stock wheel compared to the 8x8 having more of a square shoulder look to it. Do the 18"ers balloon too or are they tall enough to over come this effect? Where would I look to find the 18's? Thanks

Logan #34's Dad
02-26-2008, 01:09 AM
Hello, Well I run 18" snowhogs on our DRR. Couple of the reasons we run them: Higher ground clearance to get through the ruts the big quads make at Nationals, a little more top speed. Now, If your looking to get a more true 18" tire you might want to check out the Maxxis "cross" tire. They make an 18/6.5/8 tire that would be nice on your trx. IMHO
The 16 inch tires will be too small. They would be spinning around too many revolutions making your engine rev to the moon.

rtr4mx
02-26-2008, 06:48 PM
Thanks for yor reply. Yes our machine is reving too high on the long straights. I see you live in Ohio, I live in Washington. Any ideas as to where to find these 18's? I have not really looked as we have been flattracking for a little while but I still have not seen any of them around. Spring/Summer is coming and we will be needing some 18's for all the reasons you stated. I'll check out the Maxxis tires as well.

kris32775
02-27-2008, 06:29 PM
hey guys any pics with the maxxis 18/6.5/8 tire. thinking that might be a good choice for the ds90x thank you kris

Logan #34's Dad
02-28-2008, 07:38 AM
Kris, I believe the 2008 DRR 70's and 90's come with the 18" Maxxis Razor Cross tires. You might TRY to navigate the DRR section to see the tire.

tireman43
02-28-2008, 07:51 AM
Originally posted by rtr4mx
Thanks for yor reply. Yes our machine is reving too high on the long straights. I see you live in Ohio, I live in Washington. Any ideas as to where to find these 18's? I have not really looked as we have been flattracking for a little while but I still have not seen any of them around. Spring/Summer is coming and we will be needing some 18's for all the reasons you stated. I'll check out the Maxxis tires as well.

You might try eXtreme Mini Quads NW. They do A LOT with minis and they are in Washington.

rtr4mx
02-28-2008, 08:56 AM
Thanks for the reply tireman 43, I have seen their shop just have not had the time to stop when in their nieghborhood. Hey Kris, go to Maxxis.com, you can bring up a picture of the tire there.

kris32775
02-28-2008, 06:41 PM
Thanks for the response guys. I think that may be a good medium between the 18 in holeshots which only measure 16.5 and the 18/10/8 tires that come with the ds90x. i'll pick upa set and give it a shot. wish they came in a 9 in. rim, have a nice set of bead locks from when i was a little younger. oh what size rim,width wise would you run? thanks again.

cdevito
04-25-2008, 08:39 AM
Hey guys, I run both on my son TRX90. I was told the bike would rev out faster giving my son a better chance out of the corners and on the hole shot. Two things-1) they do look ballooned on the stock sized rims, and 2) my son was getting caught up on ruts way too often. He kept complaining that he had to go into some corners way too hot just to keep from getting stuck. As far as reving up faster......maybe but not noticible enough. ather other mods.

Chris