PDA

View Full Version : Frame painting question

kawabunga
01-15-2008, 08:47 PM
So I feel kind of foolish asking this, but I thought it would be worth a try. A friend of mine and I were talking about getting frames painted and what not because eventually I'd like to put in a gusset kit and get the frame re-painted, and obviously powdercoating came up, as well as the cost involved. Cost is the biggest issue holding me back with this project and I'm trying to find the best deal I can without sacrificing quality, don't we all? Well, my buddy said that him and a friend of his stripped down his friends dirt bike frame and re-painted that. However, he said they used Epoxy Paint. I'm pretty sure that's what it was called. He said why not use that? He claimed that it has held up just fine and that it worked well for them. He also told me that it only comes in white and black.
Have any of you heard of this stuff or used it on anything before? $7 a can is much cheaper than sending my frame out for powdercoating even if I need 2 cans. But I also don't want to skimp out on this and have it not hold up because it isn't something that I want to end up having to do it again. I'm skeptical about it, that's why I'm asking. As of right now I'm leaning towards the powdercoating, but that's expensive.
Just looking for other opinions.
Thanks

ss440ex
01-15-2008, 09:36 PM
Power coating goes on good and looks great...
Last forever.
I use a good quality paint on all my frames.
I found it is easier to touch up after any repairs/welds.
And these frames do crack...even with a gusset kits.

2 part epoxy/enamel

BTW PC is 5x harder then paint.

Good luck!!
Don`t forget pics!

Sjorge450R
01-16-2008, 10:07 AM
i painted my frame. It lasted 6 months before it looked like crap. I stripped it, primered/wetsanded then painted. I spent about $100 on sand paper, paint/primer and wire wheels. And all the time i used. Needless to say. Pappy now has my frame and he is coating it. I will never waste my time and money on painting it again. I will admit, i thought it was going to hold up well, but in the end, it didnt.

smithn1683
01-16-2008, 10:39 AM
you are definately better off holding out till you save up some cash for the PC. Getting an even coat all around the frame is not easy with paint.

pro-rider46
01-16-2008, 01:31 PM
well, im painting my frame in a little while, if you can, try to use some ppg. its pretty good. i used it on my a arms, and it held up great, just like oem, and when i paint my frame, im using black ppg. so maybe it will be worth it, but its not cheap. so you might as well send it to pappy. for one quart of ppg. it 40 bucks, but its not thinned, once its thinned, it will be about a quart. btw it sometimes will come in spray cans. but you have to have it mixed before it goes into the can,

440challenger
01-16-2008, 06:17 PM
I've done 3 in the last few months and doing a fourth fairly soon.
We ride them hard and they are holding up great, but NO where close to what powder coat can handle. if you dont have the supplies laying around , its cheaper to get it coated.

You have to paint it right if your going to paint it. Etching prime,then epoxy, then base coat and clear with a well known brand like ppg or dupont...

440challenger
01-16-2008, 06:18 PM
this is a 90's ford color used on mustangs and f series pickups

440challenger
01-16-2008, 06:19 PM
looks like candy and still does

kawabunga
01-16-2008, 06:56 PM
Thanks everybody for the replies. Much appreciated. I think I'm just gonna end up powdercoating the frame. I always knew it would be the best option, but I thought there might be other possibilites that weren't as expensive.
440challenger, those frames look really nice, but I don't really want to mess around with all the labor, and just to end up with something that isn't as good as pc anyway.
Pc sounds like the way to go for me. Looks like I better start saving my pennies!

Again, thanks for all the help.

chipworkz
01-16-2008, 06:59 PM
I painted my 93 KX250 twice with Emron paint from Dupont. It was around $70 for a quart, which did the whole frame. I did and still looks good and never has chipped.

You can have great results from a good quality paint but, you may end up spending as much or more as getting it PC'd.

I did spray some wheels on my trailer with white epoxy paint and it held up well.

If you use a cheap spray paint, it will probably look like you used a cheap spray paint.

drchoicey
01-16-2008, 07:54 PM
so what does it cost to have a frame
powdercoated anyway?
thanx

pro-rider46
01-16-2008, 09:07 PM
Originally posted by drchoicey
powdercoated anyway?
thanx

i think its around 300 for both frame, and sub frame,

kawabunga
01-16-2008, 11:37 PM
Originally posted by drchoicey
powdercoated anyway?
thanx

It really depends on who you have do it. I've heard of 150-300 to do just a frame. Other parts vary and it also depends on what colors you get done.