PDA

View Full Version : my new ds450

shanester22
01-15-2008, 03:35 PM
bought it Saturday....15 min into the maiden ride clutch basket destroyed by a bolt not torqued correctly, dealer fixed temporary for Sunday's ride. 45 min into Sunday's ride....bent rear axle... not a professional rider very light jumps(not like they jump on the can-am website by any means) and no call from a can-am rep as to why my bike is not good. anyone out there who may have any feedback on the axle situation it would be helpful. i need something from my dealer or can-am to make me feel good about keeping this quad. i love the bike other than i haven't riden my 8300.00 toy for more than an hour.....

ThePhantomRider
01-15-2008, 04:23 PM
Need some pictures. I've seen some atrocious things done to the stock DS and none of what you described has occured.

I saw pre production units with tons of hours and miles on them without any clutch problems described.

As for the axle, I've seen some of these things flat out take monster hits, both amature and pro level and never saw a bent axle.

So how did you damage the axle?

TPR

shanester22
01-15-2008, 07:27 PM
pics are coming soon.... have a small track @ a friends house and he took it for a few laps. did'nt land any different then he normally does on the yfz or the raptor, noticed the right rear wheel wobble on about the third lap. it's back at the dealer and i'm awaiting to hear what their going to do for me. as for the clutch human error at the factory is the only thing that could have caused the porblem. mechanic showed me the inside of the cover and a bolt came loose and tore up the cover and metal shavings were all over.

maconu
01-15-2008, 09:38 PM
I've had my ds450 on the track 3 times now. I've landed long on a couple 60 footers and had no problems.

I REALLY wanted to wait for a couple of months to buy the quad but I couldn't resist. It is a Very Nice ride. I can't wait to take it to 50" with pipe and filter.

ThePhantomRider
01-16-2008, 08:36 AM
Originally posted by shanester22
pics are coming soon.... have a small track @ a friends house and he took it for a few laps. did'nt land any different then he normally does on the yfz or the raptor, noticed the right rear wheel wobble on about the third lap. it's back at the dealer and i'm awaiting to hear what their going to do for me. as for the clutch human error at the factory is the only thing that could have caused the porblem. mechanic showed me the inside of the cover and a bolt came loose and tore up the cover and metal shavings were all over.

Ok, cool.

Sounds like, yeah, someone failed to install the bolt correctly because I know they had no clutch issues on all the early releases and test units.

As for the axle, that just sounds wierd because I know from talking to racing experts outside of the atv world that gun drilled axles are at least as durable as their solid counterparts.

TPR

shanester22
01-16-2008, 12:11 PM
thanks TPR...It's very wierd that the axle is bent... don't want to paint a bad picture about the ds alothough the one i got has these issues. hopefully all works in my favor and dosen't leave me riding my recon 250 this weekend lol.

ThePhantomRider
01-16-2008, 12:49 PM
Truly the DS axle is equal to or a bit stronger than other stock axles.

Now it's not an aftermarket axle so we can't expect it to be as strong. I just know it is no weaker than other stockers.

TPR

joedirt
01-16-2008, 06:17 PM
Might be the funky lookin aluminum hub.

ThePhantomRider
01-17-2008, 12:04 AM
Not likely.

TPR

shanester22
01-17-2008, 05:20 AM
since i have a light day of work and haven't heard from the dealer or rep at all, going to the dealer today to see if i can ruffle somr feathers. i'm gonna shoot some video of the axle for you guys and take a few more pics and get them posted tonight...

when i jacked the bike up and spun the axle in 1st gear you can clearly see the wobble before the hub.

baubl
01-17-2008, 10:33 AM
me (Drew Lattimar) and Dillon Zimmerman did the 8hr race in phoenix on the Can Am and we had no problem with the axles Dillon is riding for Can Am this year in worcs and the bike we had down there had over 30 hours on the motor and it lasted the whole race. It was a good bike and if i wast riding Kawi's for the contingencys money and the ride i would be riding the Can Am this year! Sorry your having problems its one of those things and I know Can Am is hurrying to get all there bikes out so mistakes happen and thats probably whats going on

Punk'd
01-17-2008, 10:37 AM
They might of messed up making the axle for yours?

Mines holding up great?

bwamos
01-17-2008, 11:11 AM
Possible whomever is making the axles for them didn't re-harden a batch of axles after drilling? But, then again I'm sure they are drilled under a lubricating coolant.

shanester22
01-17-2008, 11:32 AM
off of work now---going to talk to the head cheese at my dealership. getting the feeling that they are having trouble locating a rep for answers themselves. either way i'm going to try to get my bike back untill they figure it all out. thanks for the feedback guys and hope you'll enjoy seeing the pics and vids tonight.---punk'd your machine is bad to the bone looking... what all have you done to it???

shanester22
01-30-2008, 08:51 AM
got my bike back last week and been riding twice now....WOW i am so happy this thing is pretty bad *** and i am learning how to ride it quickly....the brp rep called last night and said that the axle was a fluke thing....just may have been rider error. also when they did the axle they replaced the rear brake pads and caliper due to the axle being bent they were rubbing and wore out. i would reccomend can-am to anyone who's looking for a 450. i appreciate all the feed back from every one and hope to talk about nothing but fun with my ds in the future.

p.s.-- in march going to be taking it on the annual "rabbit run" in samsula fl. if anyone is in fl. and wants to ride contact me..

BludgerDB
01-30-2008, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by shanester22
got my bike back last week and been riding twice now....WOW i am so happy this thing is pretty bad *** and i am learning how to ride it quickly....the brp rep called last night and said that the axle was a fluke thing....just may have been rider error. also when they did the axle they replaced the rear brake pads and caliper due to the axle being bent they were rubbing and wore out. i would reccomend can-am to anyone who's looking for a 450. i appreciate all the feed back from every one and hope to talk about nothing but fun with my ds in the future.

p.s.-- in march going to be taking it on the annual "rabbit run" in samsula fl. if anyone is in fl. and wants to ride contact me..

Good news - I'm glad to hear CanAm stood by their product, provided adequate customer service, and that you're happy.