PDA

View Full Version : 440 ex bogs in the wet

DAVE14
01-15-2008, 09:27 AM
My ex is becoming a little unreliable theres no snow down here yet but theres tonnes of mud & water I put my airbox lid back on & had it jetted right for the lid to be back on but when I get into a man size puddle or hole the engine bogs heavily & even died one night aftert a good dunking , I waited a bit had to choke & fuel the hell out of it & it fired when I checked it out only a trace of water was at the bottom of the air box , sucked in from the tubes I guess my wires are all clean connections plenty of spark , could a coil be breaking down ??

AutoRoc
01-15-2008, 04:48 PM
I'd check for rips/tears in the intake tract that is sucking in water. Check the carb clamps both sides, main tube... Goodluck!

Definately could be electrical, someone will chime in.

AutoRoc
01-15-2008, 04:48 PM
I'd check for rips/tears in the intake tract that is sucking in water. Check the carb clamps both sides, main tube... Goodluck!

Definately could be electrical, someone will chime in. Spark plug wire issues?

kfx400rider03
01-15-2008, 07:20 PM
chech the spark plug boot. it might let some water in and interfere with the spark. that happend on my kfx400

miken
01-16-2008, 08:38 AM
If it's bogging and quitting after a slow ride through deep water it may be that the carb is vacuum locking because the overflow tube is under water. This used to happen to me. Go to an Autoparts store and get a vacuum tubing "tee". Cut the overflow up high near the carb, insert the tee, connect tube to the bottom of the tee and run back down where it was. Connect another piece of tube and route up under the tank somewhere. It's just a vent. Maybe this will help you as well?
Mike -

DAVE14
01-16-2008, 11:46 AM
Im gonna throw a new plug in it & silicone the boot around the plug & look into the carb vent tee idea & check all carb , clamp connections it s not waist deep water thats killin it its a foot deep here & there but the splash of a good puddle thats killin it regardless of depth, thanks for the ideas

395Rider
01-16-2008, 01:46 PM
Originally posted by DAVE14
Im gonna throw a new plug in it & silicone the boot around the plug & look into the carb vent tee idea & check all carb , clamp connections it s not waist deep water thats killin it its a foot deep here & there but the splash of a good puddle thats killin it regardless of depth, thanks for the ideas

I had the same problem with my Baby. I would hit a puddle and bbbbwwwwwaaaaa. The Rubber Boot on top of the carb Cap may need to be replaced. Instead of replacing mine, I got some Silicone Gasket and put it on the top of the Ruber Boot around the throttle cable. Also, I put some on the bottom of the boot. Yup, thats Plumbers Tape around the threads of the carb. I noticed there was water on the threads and wasnt sure if it was coming in from the boot or up through the threads. Hope this helps. Here are some pics

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/adamadam1672/HPIM3306.jpg

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a224/adamadam1672/HPIM3305.jpg

limetimeracerII
01-16-2008, 08:21 PM
Originally posted by miken
If it's bogging and quitting after a slow ride through deep water it may be that the carb is vacuum locking because the overflow tube is under water. This used to happen to me. Go to an Autoparts store and get a vacuum tubing "tee". Cut the overflow up high near the carb, insert the tee, connect tube to the bottom of the tee and run back down where it was. Connect another piece of tube and route up under the tank somewhere. It's just a vent. Maybe this will help you as well?
Mike -
Ditto. I had same problem with an EX I had. When I would ride in bad mud my bike would always choke out. Come to find out I only had one vent line, so I put a tee on it and ran one up to the handlebars and put down the hole on top of the steering stem where the gas tank vent goes. Never had another problem.

DAVE14
01-17-2008, 12:15 PM
I tried the tee in the vent hose idea & was boggin like a champ for about a mile through the woods no water depth or splash bogged it down but I heartd some poppin then it died again & to my horror my muffler was loose tryin to fall off if it wasnt for the top bracket keepin it from slidin off so I suppose I have a lean condition when it pops & tries to fall off Ill tighten it up & try it again & wont forget to bring my phone this time

AutoRoc
01-17-2008, 06:33 PM
You'll get it! It's something minor

fmftrx300ex
01-20-2008, 03:59 PM
i just read about somrthing like this.apartentl their is a hose out the bottom the carb tht lets prusser in/out of your fuel bowl and when water covers it it may empty or over fill your bowls so the solution is find the hose and put a tee in it on tht goes downthe stock lenght but the other hose goes up at least as high as ur air box and then even in water it will do its job good luck

DAVE14
01-20-2008, 06:34 PM
I hate carbeurators but the only thing I found wrong on the carb was the drain hose in the back ( at the bottom)was broken with the rest of it gone & just a little ring left of it the last ride I took I fixed this back to stock & the 2 hoses teed off at the side of the carb I tapped into those with another tee with a hose under the gas tank & vented a little higher & it ran great for a 2-3 kms. until I heard some poppin & noticed my exhaust pipe was just about fallin off causing a lean condition Im sure I went ahead & tightened that up & its miserable to start ,having to choke the hell out of it in a warm garage & feed it plenty of fuel before it starts go for a ride a couple k then it dies so Im leaning to a fuel problem like somethings dirty ,sticking or a bowl is running dry etc. so I m thinking its runnin dry insted of somethng electrical because it can get wet for a while before it bogs down then it dies ill get back at it tommorrow it was too damn cold today to play with it