PDA

View Full Version : Fox Evols vs Elkas rebuilt by a real race shop

Choreboy
01-15-2008, 05:57 AM
I have a brand new full set of dual adjust LT Elkas that I was considering having a real race shop rebuild and set-up for me. I was also throwing around the idea of just selling them and buying a full set of Fox Evols w/ Podium rear. I have never owned the Fox's before, but I have rode on a set of Elkas rebuilt by Derisi and all I can say compaired to my stock Elkas is WOW. What do you all think???

INFAMOUSRACER7
01-15-2008, 09:51 AM
all i have ran is fox and i love them but checking the pressures gets old, but you can change ride height and bottoming resistance by adding/subtracting air which is nice. If you want youe elkas redone by a REAL race shop call johnny at JH racing

Choreboy
01-15-2008, 09:54 AM
What about Derisi??? How much does JH charge???

INFAMOUSRACER7
01-15-2008, 10:11 AM
not bashing Derisi but i know johnny's work and i know who he has done shocks for and they loved them. his number is 918-371-0101 he is at the shop right now

TRX450RACER174
01-15-2008, 11:25 AM
I run Evols and a Podium rear and i love them, i can not comment on the Elka's as i have not owned them but i have rode them and i was not overly impressed, I have had Santo do my stock rebuilds and they were great but when i had a chance to get the Fox setup i jumped on it, as far as the airpressure goes i keep a log book and really it only takes a few extra min to do, i do mine when checking the tire pressure.

killer400ex
01-19-2008, 09:53 PM
where can you get fox shocks?

Choreboy
01-19-2008, 09:55 PM
at just about all the major race shops, but the turn around time is pretty long right now.

300ex_#387
01-20-2008, 08:40 AM
Try looking at Cernics, they usually have pretty good deals on the Evols, and Podium.

I think the turn around time on my shocks was right at 3 weeks for all 3 shocks. I absolutely love my Evols. There are so many adjustments for them, and it's so easy to do.

If you do get the Evols try and spring for the DSC option. I know Fox stopped making the SSC, but there are still some dealers out there that still have them. The DSC gives you so much more adjustment.

Pappy
01-20-2008, 08:50 AM
Derisi would get the nod from me. I just had this same conversation with my brother..almost word for word:p I think if it was a different scenario where you were starting with no shocks Fox might be a decent option, or even the new Axis Pro Air, but why waste what you have, you have already felt how good your elkas can be:)

Colby@C&DRacing
01-21-2008, 09:22 AM
Originally posted by killer400ex
where can you get fox shocks?

We carry the fox shocks wait time shouldn't be more than 2 weeks.

kbass24emtp
01-21-2008, 04:29 PM
I've had my Elkas revalved by both Elka and DeRisi. After Elka revalved them I thought they were amazing and rode great. Then after having to switch a-arms DeRisi had to revalve them and I could not believe how they were. Totally amazing. I would go with the DeRisi revalves, they will be totally different shocks when you get them back.

brink400
01-21-2008, 04:43 PM
I have rode a Laeger/ Elka front end after having GT Thunder completely redo the elkas, and fox/atv fourplay front end and can tell you that while the revalved elkas feel great, the evols were much plusher and gave a better ride in every way. If I already owned a set of elkas I would probably just have someone who was well respected in the business redo them, but when it comes down to buying a new shock it would be fox or the new axis air shock for me.

Choreboy
01-21-2008, 05:29 PM
Yeah I've heard alot of good things about Derisi and what he does to shocks. I think I'll just be sending them to him.

fhrtrx450r33
02-04-2008, 01:49 AM
I'm running an Evol front end and rear Elka revalved by JH. Great set-up. I know that I will never run another front end other than the Evols. I love the the adjustments that they offer and I am planning on sending them out and having Baldwin rebuild them. You can get better internal parts and have them filled with nitrogen instead of air. That way you dont have to worry about adjusting for different temps and it doesnt heat up like air does. Umm as far as the rear I would really like to try a PEP rear setup re-done by Baldwin.