PDA

View Full Version : CR ignition with lights

gregw338
01-14-2008, 06:53 PM
Is anyone on here running lights with their 2001 cr ignition? If so how are you doing it? I have read several threads on this but am not finding an answer. I talked with the guys at Ricky Stator and they said it can not be done. I have heard alot of people saying I know this and that guy that is running lights with the cr ignition but no one know how. Any info would help. Thanks

deathman53
01-15-2008, 06:17 PM
Electro sells a stator to do this

doc-bones
01-16-2008, 09:52 AM
Ricky is right. There is no provision for lights with CR-ignition.

gregw338
01-16-2008, 10:59 AM
Here is the part # from electrosport to run lights with the 2001 cr250 ignition ESL990 it is a 50 watt stator for $149.00. Thanks deathman53 for sending me in the right direction.

wilkin250r
01-17-2008, 01:03 PM
If you do actually buy it and try it out, let us know the results. There are LOTS of people that would be interested in a CR ignition with lights.

gregw338
01-17-2008, 01:18 PM
Moose offroad makes one that puts out 60 watts. I wonder if the cr500 light kit that service honda makes would fit on the cr ignition? If it would the cr500 kit puts out alot more watts, probably be worth buying.

hang1p
02-20-2008, 07:07 AM
any update on how the electro set-up works?

250r__Ice
04-21-2008, 08:04 PM
I went to the Electrosport website. They do have a lighting stator for the CR250. It says it comes exactly like OE as an 8-pole unit on a baseplate with wiring, pulser, grommet and connectors ready to plug into the stock CR wiring harness. That would leave getting the flywheel, CDI and the adapter plate. Whether it will work I dont know. Here is the link: http://www.electrosport.com/dirt-bike/dirt-bike-model-products-listing-dirt_22100.php
I figure you would have to get a wiring harness from a CR250.
It may be more trouble than its worth to try to get lights with a CR ignition setup. But if it works that would be the best of both worlds. Of course you probably wont have a light that will burn a whole in the darkness but I figure it will get you there and back.
I think I will call Electrosports tommorrow and see what they have to say.

wilkin250r
04-22-2008, 12:23 AM
Be sure to get the wattage rating...

All250R
04-30-2008, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by wilkin250r
Be sure to get the wattage rating...
I called electrotech and they said the stator only puts out 50watts. Connected to a 55watt bulb like what the TRX has he says it's too dim. They recommend a 35watt halogen. I dunno. I kinda like the brightness of the original setup... Any suggestions?

86 Quad R
05-01-2008, 07:58 AM
a 35w lamp has plenty of lighting for trails and such

800screws
05-01-2008, 08:23 AM
any recommendations on where to buy a cr ignitnion system? i got the esr backplate, but need the rest of the system?

All250R
05-01-2008, 12:45 PM
Originally posted by 800screws
any recommendations on where to buy a cr ignitnion system? i got the esr backplate, but need the rest of the system? I've been trying to figure out what year flywheels I can get away with. They look the same from the 90's up, but I don't know if the pickup is different, etc. I think piecing together a system from used parts is probably teh cheapest. Electrotech sells the stator, so from there you need a flywheel, coil and CDI... I think tha'ts it since you already have the backplate. How much was that by the way? There's an 00 CDI on ebay for cheap, but like the rest of it, I don't know which is designed for what performance or how you can mismatch the years. the 00 and 01 have different part numbers for stator and CDI.

wilkin250r
05-01-2008, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by All250R
I called electrotech and they said the stator only puts out 50watts. Connected to a 55watt bulb like what the TRX has he says it's too dim. They recommend a 35watt halogen. I dunno. I kinda like the brightness of the original setup... Any suggestions?

You could look into an HID lighting kit. But they're expensive :ermm:

"Wattage" only refers to the amount of electricity the bulb draws. It's good for a comparison, but only if you're comparing the same thing. A 55W halogen would be brighter than a 35w halogen. You're comparing apples to apples.

Brighness is measured in "lumens". Wattage is only measuring electricity in. Lumens is the measurement of actual light output. Let's compare apples to oranges. ;)

35W halogen: around 700 lumens.

55W halogen: around 1100 lumens.

35W HID: around 1800 lumens.

55W HID: around 4500 lumens.

Now, HID lights are much more complex, which makes them much more expensive. Around $150 per light. And, to make matters worse, they require a DC system, the stock 250r is AC, and I imagine the CR system is also AC. So it would need to be converted (which is not impossible).

With all that is involved, that might not be the suggestion you're looking for.:(

All250R
05-01-2008, 02:48 PM
No, no. I prefer not to live in a fantasy world. Thanks for the detailed explanation. i think I read a nice post of yours a while back explaining a similar topic.

I realize that wattage is just the draw amount, so I thought it was funny the guy said the 35watt hallogen was brighter than the 55 watt halogen, from a 50 watt rated source. My question was if it would fry the stator. He said no. I'm not overly experienced in these matters however so I'm assuming there's some problem running the bigger light on that output source, though I'd like to think the 50 watt source would be close to OK.

A buddy of mine ran an AC/DC conversion on his yfz and is running two HID lights. He beefed up his battery a bit for added security he said too. I'm guessing his base wattage rating is 100 too though, but it sounds like a 35 watt HID is pretty bright!

86 Quad R
05-01-2008, 02:59 PM
we have some quads that run a pair of stationary 35w and then some that run a single 35w mounted on the bar clamp. each type of fixture has about a 45^ fan. personally i preferr the single because in tight woods its better for seeing while cornering.

btw: who said a 35w is brighter than a 55w? :eek2:

All250R
05-01-2008, 03:06 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
we have some quads that run a pair of stationary 35w and then some that run a single 35w mounted on the bar clamp. each type of fixture has about a 45^ fan. personally i preferr the single because in tight woods its better for seeing while cornering.

btw: who said a 35w is brighter than a 55w? :eek2:

The guy at Electrotech where they sell a 50 stator. He said the 55 watter was really dim at low rpm I think was his biggest complaint, but I think he mentioned the 35 was a better performer all around on that system...

86 Quad R
05-01-2008, 03:08 PM
yea! that makes sense.

hang1p
05-01-2008, 03:24 PM
you can piece one together from servicehonda.com

wilkin250r
05-01-2008, 03:36 PM
Originally posted by All250R
My question was if it would fry the stator. He said no.

One of these days, when I can afford a $500 multimeter, and another couple hundred to rent some real high-tech test equipment, I'm going to get definitive answers to exactly how much current the stator supplies, how much power is dissipated by the regulator, the waveforms, ect ect. Maybe I'll even design my own stators. I've thought about that, it's not much different than the work I used to do.

But until then, I have to guess.

Generally speaking, the problem with the stator is HEAT. A stator rated at 50W doesn't mean that it can only supply 50W, and nothing over that. It doesn't mean that if you hook up a 75W light, that you only get 50W worth of power. No, that stator will do it's best to supply the whole 75W, and in doing so, it will overheat.

It's a gamble. You might be okay with 55W, you might not. (my guess says you'll be okay).

In the engineering field, parts are usually designed to operate within a "safe" temperature rise. Exceeding that rating will often shorten the life, but you usually don't get into the realm of "danger, melting, fire" until you exceed the rating by 50% (which would be 75W).

Like I said, though, this is just a general rule. It's still a gamble. I don't want to be responsible if your new stator catches on fire, ignites your gas tank, spread to your garage, and burns your entire house down.

my88r
05-01-2008, 03:42 PM
One of these days, when I can afford a $500 multimeter, and another couple hundred to rent some real high-tech test equipment, I'm going to get definitive answers to exactly how much current the stator supplies, how much power is dissipated by the regulator, the waveforms, ect ect. Maybe I'll even design my own stators. I've thought about that, it's not much different than the work I used to do.

i thought you do that kind of work.

All250R
05-01-2008, 04:30 PM
In the engineering field, parts are usually designed to operate within a "safe" temperature rise. Exceeding that rating will often shorten the life, but you usually don't get into the realm of "danger, melting, fire" until you exceed the rating by 50% (which would be 75W).

Like I said, though, this is just a general rule. It's still a gamble. I don't want to be responsible if your new stator catches on fire, ignites your gas tank, spread to your garage, and burns your entire house down.

haha! I'll only hold you liable for the stator and gas tank. :D

Hmm... Well I have an email into my friend who put HID on his 450. If he makes sense in his reply I'll try to relay it here. With those numbers it sounds like it's worth looking into.

wilkin250r
05-01-2008, 11:47 PM
Originally posted by my88r
i thought you do that kind of work.

I used to (and I plan to do it again in the future) but I never brought my quad into the lab to do any testing. I thought about it, though. Looking back, I wish I had.

my88r
05-02-2008, 12:01 AM
I used to (and I plan to do it again in the future) but I never brought my quad into the lab to do any testing. I thought about it, though. Looking back, I wish I had.

what are you doing now.

wilkin250r
05-02-2008, 12:13 AM
Originally posted by my88r
what are you doing now.
Dealer (Blackjack, not drugs)

my88r
05-02-2008, 12:19 AM
Dealer (Blackjack, not drugs)

sorry to jack this thread. but dam thats cool.