PDA

View Full Version : Pipe Packing

Rip_Tear
01-14-2008, 02:58 PM
How tight should pipe packing be? I opened mine up for the first time since I've had it and it was packed almost solid. So thought I would ask since I'm thinking it shouldn't be. Oh and it's yellow packing, any idea who it's by?

Thanks

Also what packing do you recommend, is there really any differences?

C-LEIGH RACING
01-14-2008, 05:30 PM
Harder the packing is packed in, less noise it will absorb.

You probably should pull all the packing out & then install it back in kinda loose that way the fibers will be kinda open & absorb the noise.

Last time I rebuilt my daughters 330 silencer, I packed it tight as I could get it so the pipe would be loud.
I was tired of not being able to hear hers with all those noisey tail 4 pokes running with her.
Neil

Rip_Tear
01-14-2008, 08:05 PM
Haha, thats too funny. Thats kinda what I thought looser so it can absorb the sound, mine's already too loud so I'm trying to make it a bit quieter.

86 Quad R
01-15-2008, 02:10 PM
a side note:

to effectively remove the old packing with the silencer in place. use a coat hanger with a hook on the end. this will help pull the packing out after running the hanger all the way in. :cool:

my88r
01-15-2008, 03:51 PM
Originally posted by 86 Quad R
a side note:

to effectively remove the old packing with the silencer in place. use a coat hanger with a hook on the end. this will help pull the packing out after running the hanger all the way in. :cool:

that's a good tip. :macho whats your way for getting the packing in the silencer. all my silencers are fmf Qs and a pro circuit 295. so the packing is not as easy to get back in.

86 Quad R
01-15-2008, 03:58 PM
take a sleeve of pipe the is slightly larger than the one in the silencer and roll the packing tightly around it. once you have it totally wrapped, place it inside the silencer(over the pipe in the silencer and allow the packing to relax) and remove the stick of pipe. the packing will then unroll itself fully as you ride.

Rip_Tear
01-15-2008, 04:37 PM
Thanks for all the info, any recommendations on the type/brand of packing? I repacked my pipe today, it was packed way too tight, I don't know how the guy before me even go to together... anyways hopefully it will be better now.

86 Quad R
01-16-2008, 06:19 AM
i use Pink Panther R-19. :D