PDA

View Full Version : JB weld a cracked case??

kfxwizzard400
01-14-2008, 01:05 PM
Has anyone ever JB welded a cracked engine case? Im wondering how it would hold up since its a pretty costly repair to do it the right way... any tips or suggestions welcomed

josh31
01-14-2008, 01:11 PM
I have done this, but it was more to make a leak try and quit. It kinda sorta worked. I mean the big leak stopped but after running it a race, it would seep some oil out. If you would try it, take some sand paper and rough up the case so that the jb weld has something to adhere to. It also dependes where your crack is at. Mine wasn't in an area that had a bearing or any stress on it. It is worth a try,IMO. If it don't work, you may be out 5 buck plus your time. Yes, it is a little costly and time consuming to do it right.

Jersey450R
01-14-2008, 01:24 PM
i did this on 2 250X's back in the day where the chain would pop and bunch up cracking a hole on the case. we used to line pennies and jb weld overtop of them and it worked on both. i know one is still running today and this was 8 years ago.

300exOH
01-14-2008, 01:38 PM
It will work but you need to make sure the area is as clean as possible. There should be no dirt, oil etc.. or the JB weld will not seal properly. It would be a good idea to rough up the area like stated above. Something like 80-100 grit sand paper would work so it has something to stick to.

boosted3g
01-14-2008, 01:49 PM
You can get case halves on ebay for 25 bucks. I would go that route especially for 25 bucks.

01-14-2008, 02:00 PM
would a aftermarket case saver make it so tht wont ever happen?

HyBrid00benji
01-14-2008, 03:17 PM
If you knew somebody who could tig weld that would work great. If your gonna get it tigged don't put that Jb on there. Its hard to clean off on makes the weld act stupid if any of its on there.!

kfxwizzard400
01-16-2008, 07:42 AM
thanks everyone for your help, im going to try the jb weld first. If that doesnt work then im pulling the motor and its going to be a stroker 450 :) im kindof hoping the jb weld doesnt work.. haha

miken
01-16-2008, 09:19 AM
I have used LabMetal (and cleaning solvent) on a cracked Polaris transmission that took a bit of stress while running. Worked great, never leaked or opened up. I think it's a much stonger product than the JBweld? It really was a permanent fix. It's not cheap though.
Mike -

http://www.eastwoodco.com/shopping/search/searchresultsmain.jsp?affiliate=1&fresh=1&searchType=advanced&RS=1&keyword=lab,metal&cm_mmc=PMD_SE-_-Google-_-Hotcoat_Powdercoating-_-lab_metal

nick249420
01-17-2008, 09:48 AM
i did the same thing the chain popped off and busted a hole in my case so i ued jb weld i sanded it and cleaned it very well and it didnt work it still leaked and the jb weld some how even tho it was dry dripped in to my motor :eek2: luckly it didnt mess it up