PDA

View Full Version : Looking for Suspension advice

HondaBoy450RToy
01-13-2008, 10:22 PM
I wanna do the whole front end and rear end of my 06 450ER. i was looking into elka and i like what i was reading, i couldnt find much on swingarms. i like the durablue X33 with hubs but i dont know how good the setup is seeing its a new thing. plus my quad is black and i wanna keep the front end black or graphite. anyone with any suggestions? im looking for an XC setup that can easily and comfortably hit the track.

Colby@C&DRacing
01-14-2008, 08:54 AM
I would recommend a LSR or RPM axle as for swingarm and arms I like the ATVfourplay they are well built. Suspension I would look into Racetech(TCS), or Stadium Suspension.

INFAMOUSRACER7
01-14-2008, 10:26 AM
are you wanting to do a-arms too? if you are you, depending on how much you want to spend i would reccomend holz racing a-arms and swing arm with fox podium X shocks all the way around. or you could go eyeball engineering a-arms and swingarm with elka's and you could get that for about half the price of the holz stuff

HondaBoy450RToy
01-14-2008, 03:16 PM
yeah i want to do A arms and fronts with piggyback style, but i dont mind the price, i want something perfect for XC and something that can hit the track easily, i dont need it fine tuned for track, i dont go all that much in the season. i want to make the quad a little bit wider but keep the same ride height, if theres one thing i love about honda is the ride height. and i would like a new swingarm, shock, linkage, and axle setup. i think im going to do the durablue X33 setup but im not sure of carrier and hardware.

i really like the elkas i think im going to use those. and LSR a arms are just too pricey even though im not worried about money i just think i can get a better deal on something about the same quality, but i am looking for specific color, either black or graphite, im trying to do the whole quad black and graphite.

ohsobad_chevy
01-14-2008, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by HondaBoy450RToy
.......i want to make the quad a little bit wider but keep the same ride height, if theres one thing i love about honda is the ride height......

Ooooh, so you have never rode a YFZ?....

lol....back to seriousness......I would definately recommend the elkas. I ride the same as you, mostly trails and free riding and occasionally, the track and I absolutely love my cross country valved elkas. I would definately not recommend the dura blue axle.....especially if money ain't no thang. ;)
Like mentioned previously, the RPM and LSR axles are the way to go, they are very strong.
Houser, Laegers, LSR all make great sets of arms.
The shocks will allow you to adjust your ride height to your likings.....let us know what you decide, :macho

250xridamatt
01-14-2008, 08:35 PM
Elkas is known for not being set up right out of the box as well as other shocks. Now I have never experienced this myself, but I have owned works, axis, and pep. I am very happy with my axis shocks right now. The pep shocks were also great, but they weren't set up as well for me, which is my own fault.

If you are still looking to keep price down, maybe try to find a nice set of used axis or pep shocks online. Then you can send them to a company like c and d racing, GT Thunder, or Moto-xperts (where I got mine done). These places seem to do a way better job when it comes to setting up shocks just right for you. This way you can get a nice set of used shocks, completely rebuilt and ready for you, and hopefully save some money.

HondaBoy450RToy
01-14-2008, 09:06 PM
yeah if i was going to save money i would have sent my stockers out to C and D racing for the revalve/respring. i know someone who did it and its ABSOLUTLY amazing compared to stock.

by the way i have ridden a yfz lol i like it just the same but i wouldnt trade a honda for it haha

elka has a ton of different options for these shocks which i like, and they fine tune them for your weight, where your riding, and your ride height. i think im going with the Elkas.

im really upset about the Durablue X33 i hear nothing but BAD things about it so im definatly not getting that, i think im going with a Lonestar, i want something a little bit wider but not too much that will ruin my tight trail riding. i still cant decide a arms though!

also anyone comment on the most reliable front bumper? i need one that looks cool too. i have the 06 450ER( nicer light and hood in my mind)

thanks for all the input! ill have a pic up as soon as i get my new stuff.

j_cyrus3
01-15-2008, 12:10 AM
The PRM baja bumper is stout and looks pretty good I think.

I've rode elka, axis, works, and pep shocks.

The Elka setup I rode was long travel, straight from Elka. I personally did NOT like this set up.

I own a pair of Axis standard travel that has been reworked by GT Thunder. They ride pretty darn good.

I had a pair of Works on my 400ex, and they were plush, soaked up alot, but nothing like the Axis.

The PEP setup I rode was almost just like the works, they seemed to work a little bit better though.

I think you need to read a little bit about the Elka for the XC setup. I wouldn't read it out of Dirtwheels either. Elka pays them about 84,000$ a year in advertising. I would say stay away from them, they aren't set up worth a crap out of the box. If you're buying Elka, you might as well look forward to sending them to C and D or Gt Thunder if you want them to ride good.

Just my .02 cents.

JCoop
01-15-2008, 12:01 PM
You may also want to look into GT Thunder or C&D Racing. I have GT Thunder stock rebuilds with his XC A-arms (built by ATV Fourplay) and I am more than thrilled with these. I have had Elkas and Axis and they do not compare to these rebuilds. They are extremely plush and forgiving. You can get the fronts, a-arms, rear shock, and linkages for about the same price of a set of higher end front shocks.

I have also heard the ARS FX setup is extremely good but it is too expensive for me.

250xridamatt
01-15-2008, 02:55 PM
Originally posted by HondaBoy450RToy

elka has a ton of different options for these shocks which i like, and they fine tune them for your weight, where your riding, and your ride height. i think im going with the Elkas.

Yes, I'm pretty sure all companies do that when you buy new shocks. What I'm saying is that Elka usually doesn't get it as close to everything you say as other companies. They are known for not being set up as well right out of the box.

Rob Brown
01-15-2008, 10:04 PM
For YFZ XC i would go ARSFX with axis or there new F3 shock its the only way to go bill balance runs the stuff and plus its the color you want.

TheNewn
01-16-2008, 09:21 AM
My thoughts? Learn more about suspension in general before you go plop down hundreds/thousands of dollars on something. Learn as much as you can.

Don't let Elka's 'custom made' talk fool you, all big name after market companies custom make the shocks for you.

Some do it better than others.

Not saying Elka's are bad by any means, just learn as much as you can and try to make the most educated decition possible.

You'll probably realize that some of the choices you would have made before, really aren't the choices you would make after. I know it was for me.

HondaBoy450RToy
01-17-2008, 10:44 AM
yeah this is true i mean elkas are pretty high in price and if theyre not as good as some cheaper ones why get them? ive ridden stock rebuilds and i LOVE THEM but i kind of want the aftermarket. im going to read up and learn everything about them because my weakpoint in quads is definatly suspension.

ps i just ordered all PRM products and it costed me a fortune, but my swingarm skidplate and frame plate is 1/4" thick of aluminum!!!

HondaBoy450RToy
01-17-2008, 10:44 AM
yeah this is true i mean elkas are pretty high in price and if theyre not as good as some cheaper ones why get them? ive ridden stock rebuilds and i LOVE THEM but i kind of want the aftermarket. im going to read up and learn everything about them because my weakpoint in quads is definatly suspension.

ps i just ordered all PRM products and it costed me a fortune, but my swingarm skidplate and frame plate is 1/4" thick of aluminum!!!